Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

While i understand where you are coming from. I am a firm believer in strict rules and remember these are overpaid kids. Only way to deal with it is to be firm. Food yes, but the right kind of food. Games and fun yes , but the right time and place. They are paid over the top so if they don't comply go do something else.
And what if he had sung a song by Andrea Bocelli?

Yes I'm a hippy or believe that anyone who sings is a hippy with a hippy mindset in sport or any walk of like.

By the way, what is that peculiar looking thing that bloke in your photo seems to be mouthing into?

It's the overseer's cyborg, control cock.

Last edited:
While i understand where you are coming from. I am a firm believer in strict rules and remember these are overpaid kids. Only way to deal with it is to be firm. Food yes, but the right kind of food. Games and fun yes , but the right time and place. They are paid over the top so if they don't comply go do something else.
A good balance of fun and a professional mindset can do wonders. At FC Basel we've had a coach playing freaking Mario Kart with the players.. we've had the best team energy for ages on the pitch. Strict rules may be fine but if you prevent players from having fun where it doesn't matter it'll only pull down the mood and you'll have 11 Eriksen's scuffling around the pitch wanting to leave.

Steven Bergwijn’s agent admits a FaceTime call with Jose Mourinho convinced him to join Spurs.

“What impressed Steven most was Mourinho knew everything about him. Mourinho told him this was the moment to move so he could develop.”

FaceTime call with Jose Mourinho that convinced Steven Bergwijn to join Tottenham

Bergwijn joined Spurs from PSV form £27million after Mourinho contacted him personally to discuss a switch to north London, which left the player in no doubt it was the right move

Steven Bergwijn still has the photographs from when Barcelona used Lionel Messi in their charm offensive to try and lure him to the Nou Camp.

Tottenham Hotspur’s new £27million Dutchman was just 12 when the Catalan giants offered to move his entire family to Spain.

They had identified the winger as a talent suited to the then-Barca coach Pep Guardiola’s style.

But Bergwijn’s dad – “Big Steven” – urged his son to resist the temptation and, instead, continue with his development in the Netherlands, first with Ajax and then at PSV Eindhoven.

But there were no such reservations when Jose Mourinho contacted the 22-year-old on FaceTime last weekend to ask him to make the leap into the Premier League with Spurs.

In fact, when Mourinho met the Bergwijn family at Tottenham’s Enfield training ground on Wednesday afternoon, the emotion of it all prompted Bergwijn’s dad to burst into tears of joy. Bergwijn’s agent Fulco van Kooperen said: “Steven had a FaceTime call with Mourinho – and he was very impressed.

“Imagine that, as a young player, you suddenly have Mourinho looking and talking to you on your mobile phone!

“Steven knew that other Holland internationals such as Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben and Memphis Depay had also worked with Mourinho, but, after that conversation, he didn’t even feel he needed to ask their opinion.

“He had a great feeling about Mourinho after talking to him and that was enough to be convinced he was making the right decision.

“What impressed Steven most was that Mourinho knew everything about him. Jose explained in detail how he wants to play for Tottenham.

“Mourinho told him that this was the moment to move, so he could develop more as a player at a high level before the European Championship.”

Bergwijn was still just a star-struck schoolboy when Barcelona invited him for a trial.

His family were booked into the same hotel as that used by Guardiola and his players while they prepared for a game – and Messi was happy to pose for pictures.

But Big Steven felt it was too soon to uproot his son from his hometown of Almere. Twelve months later, Bergwijn quit Ajax’s famed youth academy to join PSV – and that meant his father became his personal chauffeur.

Bergwijn explained: “My dad drove me from Almere to Eindhoven for every training session and every game.

“This is why I wanted my dad, my mum and my brother to be there this week when I met Mr Mourinho.

“After I signed for PSV, I used to get up at 6am every day to go to Eindhoven with my father.

“When I was training, my father slept in the car in the parking area of the training ground.

“After training, we drove back to Almere, so I was back at school at 11.30am. That’s how it went every day.”

Bergwijn grew up idolising Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo– but he believes that he can bring a touch of “Neymar” to Tottenham.

He added: “I have always watched Neymar. He is doing great things at Paris Saint-Germain and the way he plays football really appeals to me.

“When I was younger, I would only look at Messi and Ronaldo. And when I see them all play now, I think that is what I want to achieve.

“That would be the ultimate for me. Messi’s the best ever. Ronaldo is really special too.

“But I look at Neymar, in particular, because I think I have a similar style to him.”

A week is a long time in football

Just 7 days ago a TV commentator broke the news in a PSV match that Bergwijn would be joining us.

And 7 days later a debut goal for him.

Great start to his Spurs career.

Back
Top Bottom