Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy 70th Birthday skipper.

A legend among mere mortals.
Beat me to it, haven't been up long:)

Happy 70th my darling Stevie, hope you have a brilliant day.
Happy Birthday Reaction GIF
Excited I Love U GIF by i-love-you
Miss U GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Just spent a very pleasant afternoon in the company of my beloved. THST had a barbie at the Antwerp Arms, and it was quite a celebratory occasion.
Stevie looked really well, considering he and his wife (spit!) had returned from Portugal in the early hours this morning. He didn't really say anything I hadn't heard or read before, but that doesn't matter to me.
I got him to sign the programme of my first game, the programme of his testimonial and The Finale one, and had a couple of photos too.
There was a raffle and auction, and they raised over £1,600 for Prostate Cancer.
I also met Rob White, the son of the late John White, and I told him that I enjoyed the book he co-wrote about his dad.
A good time was had by all and it was a great way to end the season.

I was watching Steve Perryman’s latest podcast on facebook and also read a few comments that he and some Spurs fans added. I would have attached it but the season would be over by the time I worked out how to do it.

During the podcast he discussed, among other things, our next CL game against AC Milan. He reminisced about, in his opinion, his best game in a Spurs shirt. It was in 1972, where he scored two goals against AC Milan in the UEFA cup, which we later went on to win that year. With that in mind, he mentioned that it would be nice if he could get an invitation from the club to attend the upcoming Milan home game. The podcast went on to cover other topics and then at the end when he was wrapping things up and thanking people for watching, he said again that it would be nice to go to this game and if anyone from within the club or similar was watching and could make it happen for him to get an invitation, it would be much appreciated etc.

Maybe I’m missing something, or reading too much into it, but I find it hard to believe he would have to make a public request like that. He was our club captain, our longest serving player with over 860 appearances, a player who is Spurs through and through—it just seemed odd. I would have expected the situation to be that if he picked up the phone to Spurs, saying he wants to go to the game, they would welcome him with open arms, even send a car to pick him up.

Further into some of the comments on his podcast, someone mentioned that Jimmy Greaves daughter collected her father’s MBE this week from

Princess Anne at Windsor Castle and was surprised there was no club announcement. Steve Perryman’s response to this was that JG didn’t toe the club line and neither does he, so gets treated by the club accordingly. Not sure if anyone can throw any light on that. I understood JG was happy to attend events/functions at Spurs, but not for free and expected payment. If the club were making money on the strength of his attendance, then he should as well. Something that always seemed reasonable to me. But, I’ve never heard anything about Steve P’s relationship with the club or anything to suggest it was anything but good.

Anyway, whatever happens, hope the club see fit to make sure Steve P attends this game.

I was watching Steve Perryman’s latest podcast on facebook and also read a few comments that he and some Spurs fans added. I would have attached it but the season would be over by the time I worked out how to do it.

During the podcast he discussed, among other things, our next CL game against AC Milan. He reminisced about, in his opinion, his best game in a Spurs shirt. It was in 1972, where he scored two goals against AC Milan in the UEFA cup, which we later went on to win that year. With that in mind, he mentioned that it would be nice if he could get an invitation from the club to attend the upcoming Milan home game. The podcast went on to cover other topics and then at the end when he was wrapping things up and thanking people for watching, he said again that it would be nice to go to this game and if anyone from within the club or similar was watching and could make it happen for him to get an invitation, it would be much appreciated etc.

Maybe I’m missing something, or reading too much into it, but I find it hard to believe he would have to make a public request like that. He was our club captain, our longest serving player with over 860 appearances, a player who is Spurs through and through—it just seemed odd. I would have expected the situation to be that if he picked up the phone to Spurs, saying he wants to go to the game, they would welcome him with open arms, even send a car to pick him up.

Further into some of the comments on his podcast, someone mentioned that Jimmy Greaves daughter collected her father’s MBE this week from

Princess Anne at Windsor Castle and was surprised there was no club announcement. Steve Perryman’s response to this was that JG didn’t toe the club line and neither does he, so gets treated by the club accordingly. Not sure if anyone can throw any light on that. I understood JG was happy to attend events/functions at Spurs, but not for free and expected payment. If the club were making money on the strength of his attendance, then he should as well. Something that always seemed reasonable to me. But, I’ve never heard anything about Steve P’s relationship with the club or anything to suggest it was anything but good.

Anyway, whatever happens, hope the club see fit to make sure Steve P attends this game.

It's is odd how some players seem persona non grata. Terry Naylor has only just been readmitted to the fold.

I'm sure Graham Roberts or Mickey Hazard could sort Stevie P out.

It's is odd how some players seem persona non grata. Terry Naylor has only just been readmitted to the fold.

I'm sure Graham Roberts or Mickey Hazard could sort Stevie P out.
Yes, very strange to me considering his service annd everything , but I suppose we’re not always aware of what’s gone on behind the scenes.

Agree about Terry Naylor. It was good to see him being interviewed pitch side on Saturday at half time. Albeit, they messed up the timings and what he had to say was cut short due to the players coming out for the second half.

Yes there had been a bit of a falling out between the Club and Stevie, he tells it that the Club weren't happy to negotiate a corporate hospitality deal at the old stadium and they didn't want to pay him to be inducted into The Hall of Fame.
I thought everything was ok as he has been back quite a few times, so it does seem strange that he has to make a public request in this way. Mind you, and I say this from a place of love, he is a bit of a drama queen, can't believe that he wouldn't get an invite if he asked.

Very much feels like our senior corporate types are slimy, classless and thick.

Get the vibe they feel “we have big screens and tech now, we don’t need real humans to convey our history”.

That they seemed to expect JG to come free, when he played in an age when wages were not “Stardom” like now, absolutely wrong ‘uns.

The dicks at the club who do not respect these legends should fuck right off. They do not understand what it means to be a yid. Tommo17
, who bought that kid a spurs shirt, showed more class than any of these fuckers.

I WAS THERE. WHAT A NIGHT !!
that was the first season i started going to all the home & many of the away games, great memories,
these night games coming from working in the city, then running back to Sth Tottenham stn for train to Barking then on to Ockendon, going to Tower Hotel in lunch time to check on team news and the score/result when we played Vic (someone n UEFA cup that season, afternoon kick off) by looking at the telex machine ( What's a telex machine you may well ask)

Last edited:
that was the first season i started going to all the home & many of the away games, great memories,
these night games coming from working in the city, then running back to Sth Tottenham stn for train to Barking then on to Ockendon, going to Tower Hotel in lunch time to check on team news and the score/result when we played Vic (someone n UEFA cup that season, afternoon kick off) by looking at the telex machine ( What's a telex machine you may well ask)
Good to know that I am not the only one so old on here.

Was there also.
Can still recollect the Park Lane singing "We want ten" at the Keflavik game.

Back
Top Bottom