Spursy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When a fellow Spurs fan finds out you post on the fighting cock.

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

Based on the oldest posts with the word Spursy. The term didn’t mean soft underbelly or bad luck but rather how much a Spurs fan your where. I.e hardcore Spursy.

Must have just morphed into something else.

Someone contacted Flav about it. We said "fuck knows". They did an article.

As I understand, Carlito used to say the term had more positive connotations than it does now.

Eg...

Quite the opposite. The author has it spot on. When I INVENTED the term it meant the flair players, the none functional, maybe a bit lightweight but with a touch of class. Maybe, just maybe a SPURSY player will go missing at Stoke on a cold February evening but with a silky touch at the lane he will mug of a gooner left back and leave him for dead with a deft touch.

The Spursy support, dressed nines yet ready for a tear up if it happens. Groups of lads determined that the football wasn't going to ruin a great day out and an evening of snorting a line off of a strippers backside.

Spursy has been misused on here for years. I used to care.....now I dont......

Why because Spursy isn't a word.....its a state of mind xx

Last edited:
Someone contacted Flav about it. We said "fuck knows". They did an article.

As I understand, Carlito used to say the term had more positive connotations than it does now.

Eg...

Yeh certainly don’t want the Spursy back now given the current meaning.

Surely the term spursy can now be attributed to something one thinks to be true but is actually false?
They say it was “spursy” to blow the league against Leicester when we were never once ahead of them in the table so we could not have actually blown it.

Surely the term spursy can now be attributed to something one thinks to be true but is actually false?
They say it was “spursy” to blow the league against Leicester when we were never once ahead of them in the table so we could not have actually blown it.
...and yet 'Arsey' never caught on! ...yet it was they who ultimately lost out to Leicester....

3rd in a 2 horse race, my Arsey!

Technically we did blow it, as we could and should have overtaken them by beating Woolwich and west ham, but only took 1 point from the 6. It was, at that point, in our hands.

IIRC, Woolwich had 10 men at one point too.
We also blew a 2-0 lead against Chelsea and drew at home to an awful WBA. All games that we were more than capable of winning.

And to compound it, we got destroyed by a relegated Newcastle and blew 2nd to Woolwich when we were well ahead of them.

But what I would say, is that like this season title narrative, nobody can accuse us of bottling that title and not accuse arse of bottling it last season. And that is exactly what happens.

Spursy' was an addition to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2016. OK, it wasn't really – but there was a spoof story saying so which, in the manner of the finest parodies, felt plausible enough to fool some. Certainly, Spursy feels part of the footballing lexicon.Jan 2, 2019

This keen, mordant academic research will reach all four corners of the globe. Welcome pedagogues, journalists and curious parties!

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom