Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I hit the record button, have we got anyone in the England u21’s game?

They are playing Andorra, surely you won’t want to dedicate any time to watching that even with yids playing?!

Come on BC have a day off it’s the international break, go breathe some good autumn air before the cold hits us

Before I hit the record button, have we got anyone in the England u21’s game?

Yup, see the 'England Squad' thread in General Football for all the E squads- KWP and Josh in E u21's. Better game to watch maybe v Scotland ?

Full squad before changes - Chilwell for example almost certain to be called up to main squad after Shaw and Rose withdraw through injury

DovCOaKX0AEGan6.jpg

Old squad (which I can't delete !)

Dl6s5qhWsAAPNA7.jpg

Last edited:
For the UEFA youth league game tickets are free and are available from the Tottenham ticket office and are announced on the website. All U18 home league games are open to the public and you can just turn up.

cheers.

Looking at the map for the best route:

10 min walk to Turkey Street (!)
15 min Turkey Street overland to Seven Sisters;
10-15 mins Seven Sisters Vic Line to Kings X
15 mins Kings X Met Line Wembley Park

About an hour door to door. Or is there a better one?

Handy when we're back at WHL

Portsmouth vs Gillingham on 06 Oct 18 - Match Centre - Gillingham

Of the Gillingham side that started against our u23's, 4 had started for Gillingham's previous match (a 2-0 win against Portsmouth our next opponents) with a further 5 of their starters having been on the bench for their game against Portsmouth. Of Gillingham's bench against us a further 4 of them had started against Portsmouth (and of those 3 of them came on as 2nd half substitutes) with another 1 had been on the bench.

So in total 14 of Gillingham's match day squad against our u23's had been involved in their last match which was a 2-0 away win against Portsmouth who top League 1 (Gillingham are in 19th position). Gillingham finished their match against us with 7 of their starters against Portsmouth having been on the pitch against us.

So our u23's played and beat a very decent strength League 1 side

Portsmouth vs Gillingham on 06 Oct 18 - Match Centre - Gillingham

Of the Gillingham side that started against our u23's, 4 had started for Gillingham's previous match (a 2-0 win against Portsmouth our next opponents) with a further 5 of their starters having been on the bench for their game against Portsmouth. Of Gillingham's bench against us a further 4 of them had started against Portsmouth (and of those 3 of them came on as 2nd half substitutes) with another 1 had been on the bench.

So in total 14 of Gillingham's match day squad against our u23's had been involved in their last match which was a 2-0 away win against Portsmouth who top League 1 (Gillingham are in 19th position). Gillingham finished their match against us with 7 of their starters against Portsmouth having been on the pitch against us.

So our u23's played and beat a very decent strength League 1 side

I like the positive spin on this - but it was a one-off win against Portsmouth. Seeing as they are down in 19th, I would say they aren't that strong. But still it was our Under 23s team and they beat them convincingly.

I like the positive spin on this - but it was a one-off win against Portsmouth. Seeing as they are down in 19th, I would say they aren't that strong. But still it was our Under 23s team and they beat them convincingly.

Beating a League 1 side always sounds good, but its important to understand how strong the side they put out is, and the only sensible approach to that is to look at whether the side they put out was similar to their last competitive fixture, Portsmouth.

I wasn't saying that Gillingham were strong, what I said (or meant to say if that didn't come across) is that the side Gillingham put out against us was reasonably strong for them - on the basis that 7 of their starters against Portsmouth and 7 of their other matchday squad against us were also in their match day squad against Portsmouth.

Beating a League 1 side always sounds good, but its important to understand how strong the side they put out is, and the only sensible approach to that is to look at whether the side they put out was similar to their last competitive fixture, Portsmouth.

I wasn't saying that Gillingham were strong, what I said (or meant to say if that didn't come across) is that the side Gillingham put out against us was reasonably strong for them - on the basis that 7 of their starters against Portsmouth and 7 of their other matchday squad against us were also in their match day squad against Portsmouth.

Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't Richards, Maghoma, Hinds, Roles and Skipp all U19's too?

Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't Richards, Maghoma, Hinds, Roles and Skipp all U19's too?

Yup due to injuries (Harrison and Amos in particular who had actually played in league football, so our only real experience in the squad) and loans out, we had to play a number of u18's - Richards (his u21 debut as Parrott was not eligible), Maghoma, Skipp and Bowden (not Roles or Hinds).

Bennett and Binks who both came off the bench are u18's and Lyons-Foster another u18 also on the bench. So we did have a younger and less experienced side than we might have planned for at the start of the season when we entered the competition.

How do you rate him playing at LB ? Or maybe not a tough enough test to make a judgement v Andora ?

Always thought he was a relatively okay left back. He's had a fine game. Him and Sessegnon down the left is something we may see at Spurs in future. You never know.

Always thought he was a relatively okay left back. He's had a fine game. Him and Sessegnon down the left is something we may see at Spurs in future. You never know.

Nice thought.

I've always thought he's 90% as good on the left to playing on the right as he's not 2 footed.

So good enough as a back up JB, but not a first choice. But always interested in how others see him, and indeed if KWP 'improves' as he's played LB for England quite a lot

How do you rate him playing at LB ? Or maybe not a tough enough test to make a judgement v Andora ?

Do you think he's a viable LB for Spurs ?

I haven't watched the England U21 game yet. Generally speaking, I think KWP is a competent LB, but I much prefer him as a RB back where he's more of an attacking threat as he can go outside or cut inside.

So, revisiting the argument on wether players should work on their physique. I could not help but notice that
Gareth Southgate has put Foden in the U21's as he is behind the others physically. What backward thinking by our England manager!
Mason Mount who is not as slight as Foden and playing in a lower league chosen for the senior squad. Go figure.
And Oliver Skipp won't be loaned out to clubs like Aberdeen for long as he is physically robust.

So, revisiting the argument on wether players should work on their physique. I could not help but notice that
Gareth Southgate has put Foden in the U21's as he is behind the others physically. What backward thinking by our England manager!
Mason Mount who is not as slight as Foden and playing in a lower league chosen for the senior squad. Go figure.
And Oliver Skipp won't be loaned out to clubs like Aberdeen for long as he is physically robust.
Mason Mount - total first team games 31
Foden - 8

I am guessing Mounts are mostly starts, if Foden wants to play for England he has to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom