Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lilywhite_Rose 2 hours ago

Exclusive: We can reveal that Luke Amos will head to #QPR on a season long loan deal. This will be Luke’s first full season at that level and will enable him to get some much needed minutes after missing the last 11 months with injury. Good luck Luke.

Rumours and reports we're looking at a kid I've seen play quite a few times, Charlie Allen (15) from Linfield.

He has been named in the 1st team squad for a Champions League qualifier against Rosenborg tomorrow which would see him as the youngest player to play in the competition I think (if he plays).

Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Leicester City, Leeds United, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have watched him...has already played in a tournament for Rangers which they beat Roma in the final of.

Hopefully it's (finally) a breakthrough season for Onomah, such a shame he's injured and not on the US tour at the moment with all our absentees.

Unfortunately, Edwards on the other hand, is finished here - can't see a way back now.

Wouldn't be surprised if Troy Parrott makes a few appearance for the u23's at the latter stages of this season.

This injury has come at the worst possible time for Onomah - he'd have had plenty of game-time in pre-season, and possibly even in his favoured position (number 8) where he absolutely excelled for the Academy.

These sorts of bits of bad luck can totally change the trajectory of a young players' career, sadly; particularly at a club like Spurs where chances for young players are few and far between.

Slight change from that advertised on Bury Town's website !

First half action @BuryTownFC U18s v @THFC_Spurs U16spic.twitter.com/3oMQvqmlEY

DjM3QsSW4AA3I-u.jpg

DjM3QxEW4AE8LVS.jpg

DjM3QsPWsAAfkCW.jpg

DjM3QsRX0AAMMdO.jpg

Twitter coverage :
Login on Twitter

But no team sheets !
I was at the game today. Here are the team sheets:

iAs5M0E.jpg

Bit of an odd one for me today as I know a few of the Bury lads, so would have been happy with a draw. As it was, Bury claimed a 2-1 win. Despite the scoreline, Spurs absolutely dominated the game, with Eddie Carrington the standout player.

I just don't see it with Georgiou, what am I missing?

For me, his pace and hunger to get up and down wing. His ridiculously high work rate and willingness to track back. His trickery like Walker-Peters at getting out of dangerous situations. I just feel as if he fits so perfectly into the first team as a wingback. Just like Rose.

I think if Sherwood could be managed appropriately then he could be an asset. If not him, then someone who shares that same philosophy and has the same confidence to question the manager.

I don’t want Sherwood anywhere near our club ever again. He’s a talentless blagger who just talks utter bollocks. Even his youth “stance” was more about furthering his own career (and damaging someone else’s) more than actually developing kids. Otherwise why treat Bentaleb like he did, why do what he did at Villa. If he cared so much, why not be arsed to get his coaching badges and actually help develop them?

You know how I feel about Pochettinho and how unimpressed I am with facets of his management (and not just his integration of youth - but that in particular) but having someone like Sherwood is even worse. Just creates a stink and if anything makes the head coach less likely to integrate, as we saw with AVB.

A much better system for me is to have a proper DOF above the “head coach” who dictates a stronger recruitment/integration policy and when you have a player like Onomah, KWP, Edwards you don’t allow the club to spend 80m plus wages on flawed players like Sissoko, Aurier and Moura until you’ve properly road tested (and by that I don’t mean started every week, I just mean fair and reasonable game time) the very talented kids you already have.

To balance that off, and be fair to that head coach, you then also have to be realistic about the criteria of his employment, and as long as his general ethos is still being adhered to and the brand of football still “good” (whatever that may mean) then you don’t go sacking him for finishing 5th, 6th or 7th etc occasionally.

What we are getting now (as Wallander Wallander says) is a “manager” who feels an obligation to pick players he’s requested the club to spend vast sums of money on, to justify his judgement and role as “de facto head of recruitment” to the detriment of the team. It’s not good for him, the team or ultimately the medium/long term of the club who instead of developing another valuable asset, are accruing ones that are depreciating rapidly.

So, revisiting the argument on wether players should work on their physique. I could not help but notice that
Gareth Southgate has put Foden in the U21's as he is behind the others physically. What backward thinking by our England manager!
Mason Mount who is not as slight as Foden and playing in a lower league chosen for the senior squad. Go figure.
And Oliver Skipp won't be loaned out to clubs like Aberdeen for long as he is physically robust.
Mason Mount - total first team games 31
Foden - 8

I am guessing Mounts are mostly starts, if Foden wants to play for England he has to play.

Just to update and expand upon r-u-s-x r-u-s-x s post Mount played 29 times for Vitesse in Dutch top league, scoring 9 goals and this season 12 times for Derby in Championship scoring 3 times.

So aside from 41 first team appearances Mount has scored 12 first team goals - more goals than Foden has first team appearances.

Personally I would have waited a little while longer before calling up Mount, as I think one or two others have more experience (Will Hughes at Watford and Lewis Cook at Bournemouth for example), but aside from Mount's natural talents (which are good lets be clear), I think it may also be Southgate sending a clear message to Mount's club team mate Reuben Loftus=-Cheek 'if you are not playing for your club you are not being picked for England - go on loan'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom