Spurs' Player of the Year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Player of the year 2017

• Lloris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alderweireld

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Vertonghen

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • Walker

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Rose

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Wanyama

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Dier

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Dembélé

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Dele

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Eriksen

Votes: 66 45.2%
  • Son

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Kane

Votes: 11 7.5%

• Total voters
I've been mulling this one over a lot recently. Normally I feel as if there's been an absolute stand out player, no questions asked. This year it is so so difficult, because so many players have been excellent. I think that if it weren't for Rose being out for SO long, it would've had to go to him, but it's been such a long injury during such an important part of the season that I can't personally give it to him.

For me, I've gotta go with Jan Vertonghen. If you think back to when he picked up his injury, we were instantly no longer effective when we played three in the back. I think that Jan's been the glue that has really pushed us forward (even though it might seem counter intuitive to some) towards the later part of this season.

I'm sure that he won't be at the top of everyone's list, but I'm very intrigued to hear what others have to say about their player of the year.

Kane. To have missed so many games & still have scored so many goals is outstanding- again. Teams are terrified of him. And he has everything in his armoury as a striker

But Totti Totti makes a strong point for Eriksen. When he plays well, Spurs play well.

Tough one.

:kanehand:

Eriksen. We can cover for every other player in the squad except him. We simply don't play well without him. He is the only reason we've got a sniff of the league and those blaming him for the draws early on are blind. Some of you chumps couldn't tell a footballer from your own arse. It's all end product for you. Just watch closely - please.

Last edited:
Way too tough to choose. Anyone could make a very strong case for a number of our players, which is one of the things I love about this tea. It's very easy and appealing to select either Kane, Eriksen, Dele, or Dembele.

That being said, if I had to choose I would go with Toby. We have the league's best defense and although he doesn't do it alone, he is an absolute rock in the back and we are a better team because of what he brings to us. His work and leadership allows our offense to do what they do. The only defensive player I have seen at Spurs that even possibly compares to him is Ledley, and if that doesn't say everything that needs to be said, I don't know what will.

Last edited:
What is particularly impressive for me is how many players have improved this season: Jan, Toby, Eriksen, Walker, Rose, Sonny, Dele and even Harry all seem to have stepped up another level. All of them show a fantastic work rate and commitment, as well as making the best use of their talent.

I think you can't underestimate how crucial Hugo is as a leader and influence in the dressing room too. Wanyama, Dier and Dembele also work damn hard in the engine room of the side, often having to take on fairly inglorious aspects of the game.

If I had to chose one it would be between Verts and Eriksen, with the crucial assists and goals probably winning it for the wee Dane.

Eriksen has been magnificent, no matter who the main goalscorer is in any game it always seems to be Eriksen getting the assist or the "assist to the assist" (In America we call that a "hockey assist", but you guys might call it a "Modric assist").

I think it's hard to pick as we work so good as a team, we are not a team with 1 or 2 players who pull the shots, we are a team of 11 great players all with integral roles to play, but if I had to choose it would be Eriksen, I know dele has played amazing as well but I feel Eriksen just edges it......

No doubt: Jan Vertonghen

The offensive trio, Kane, Alli and Eriksen has been mostly fantastic since December, but struggled early in the season. Verts has been great, as far as I can recall, in every single game. He's been standing out above the rest in our backline, which says alot.

Not only has he been by quite a good margin our best defender. Quite a few of our goals have been created following an involvement of Vertonghen.

Some of you chumps couldn't tell a footballer from your own arse. It's all end product for you. Just watch closely - please.

It's not always easy joe..............

hqdefault.jpg

:sonpoint:

Back
Top Bottom