Spurs among Six Premier League clubs facing huge bills hike as police chief calls on teams to help cover costs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FAIR COP

Six Premier League clubs facing huge bills hike as police chief calls on teams to help cover costs​

Predicted fan hostility has caused a number of games to be moved this season
  • Published: 17:50, 17 Jan 2024
LONDON’S six Prem clubs could face extra bills next season - from the Metropolitan Police.
Met commissioner Sir Mark Rowley says it is time clubs stumped up to help cover the £18.5m annual cost.

This means Woolwich, Fulham, Tottenham, Chelsea, Brentford and West Ham could all be asked to cough up millions to help fund policing duties for fixtures.

Sir Mark, talking to LBC, said: “Last year, 2023, policing football in London cost us £18.5 million, that the Premier League don't pay for.

“If you wanted to help the police out with people paying for the policing they draw out of communities, that'd be a more powerful example.

“Woolwich, Chelsea and the others do not pay for our officers on the street.

“There's a very narrow legal framework, which says that they only pay for the officers who go into the ground.

“All of those officers managing stuff around the ground come out of our budget.

“There are very few officers in the grounds.

“But all the ones outside on horses, all dealing with disorder before and afterwards, around train stations, etc, that adds up to £18.5million last year, not paid for.”

In October, SunSport reported that Premier League chiefs were planning to pay £10m to the police in a bid to televise high-profile matches in prime-time slots.

Sources said that many options are under review “to support police in keeping match-goers and communities safe”.

There is growing reluctance from the authorities to police games between rivals in the late afternoon and evenings.

The chances of trouble between fans is likely to be higher for a later kick-off.

In November, Liverpool's visit to Manchester City was moved to a 12.30pm kick off amid concerns from a safety advisory group.

Likewise, the North London derby was scheduled for a 2pm Sunday kick off back in September.

Was having this debate the other day. Clubs have to pay for any police inside the stadium. Why is it not public liability on a public street outside and travelling to the stadium? Football fans have paid their taxes, the public in the area have paid their taxes, the club has paid their taxes..

Was having this debate the other day. Clubs have to pay for any police inside the stadium. Why is it not public liability on a public street outside and travelling to the stadium? Football fans have paid their taxes, the public in the area have paid their taxes, the club has paid their taxes..
I’m posting nonsense as I was under general anaesthetic yesterday. This is what your post made me think:

View: https://youtu.be/o9iX6KgAVR0?si=kcfFpVdFubUxlYbM

Last edited:

Sonny has probably altered the UK-South Korea Balance of Trade!

:sonpoint:

I wonder if Just Stop Oil, XR, BLM and pro-Hamas protesters will also be asked to pay the costs of policing their events?

No, didn't think so.
Just what I was thinking.

Maybe the public funded servants, the police should ask the government, funded by us, where the money is as I would imagine the majority of football fans have paid in to this via taxation

This is apparently a problem in some european leagues?!

In Germany the chief of the german police union will also that clubs are pay the police before/during/after a football match.

Some other people said that for example the "Oktoberfest" in Munich and other events are free - and the police do their work as always.

As a Fan my suggestion were - Football matches without police?

It must be a joke that fans are the reason that police should be payed by football clubs.

(On saturday my homeclub will play in DARM stadt versus the "Lilienschweine". So this match would allegedly a example for the arguments of the police.)

But violent clashes outside a stadium cannot be payed by the clubs.

And inside a stadium the security firm would be payed by the club.

Music Video Police GIF by Mic

I wonder if Just Stop Oil, XR, BLM and pro-Hamas protesters will also be asked to pay the costs of policing their events?

No, didn't think so.

I'm no particular advocate of the groups highlighted but I would say the difference is that football is a business. The premier league has a revenue of around £5.5billion pounds.

We also all pay money to the football club/media companies and then pay for the policing via our taxes.

Don't think it's unreasonable for football to make a contribution

The sole reason we need more policing, is 'cos every other London Club seems to fucking HATE us ....surely not OUR fault ..
Ask THEM!

Whisper it.....but maybe it's a JEW THING!

Get out of of it. It's the government's job to fund the police properly and they've been underfunded for years.

All of those clubs pay taxes which should cover policing.
You don’t get an extra bill from the fire brigade for a call-out.

Besides which, half of the trouble is caused by traveling fans from outside London and the away side still get a slice of the gate receipt for Cup games, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom