Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, Doherty in his 45 minutes

- twice as many passes as Kane
- Same number of shots as Kane and Son
- Won more aerial duels
- Made more crosses (I'm not sure Son completed a cross in the entire game)
- Got the ball in the back of the net
- Had a higher XG than SON

Not bad for a 'dreadful' player.

We didn't score the winner because Son is ineffective against teams that park the bus and Kane is still struggling to get any time on the ball. Excellent balls were played into the box by both Winks and Doherty which our strikers failed to attack. The piss poor header from Son took the biscuit!
Hahahahha.

Having more passes than the striker is nothing special. Most players in the team will have more passes than the striker.

Running into the box is easy part, what did he do with the number of shots?

How many aerial duels were the other players involved in?

Wingback makes crosses. Big deal. That is the only thing he is good at though.

When you have to dig up a disallowed goal where the goalkeeper drops the ball and mistakenly put it in with the back of his foot as some great thing doherty did, you are clutching at straws here.

Having a higher XG means the chances he ended up with had a better chance to be scored. So more was expected from the positions he shot from and he failed. You want a higher xA to be considered creative or whatever.

I thought that VAR should only overall where a clear mistake had been made by the on-field officials. Based on any line that anyone wants to draw it absolutely isn’t clear, and that’s where the injustice lies.

Clear and obvious doesn't apply in the case of offsides. Never has.

The Tottenham-hating media said it was 10 men Southampton holding out against 11 men Spurs, it wasn't. It was 12 men v 11 as Anthony Taylor, probably the worst ref in the EPL and on VAR Martin Atkinson (who is Chelsea's favourite ref) conspired to cheat Tottenham.

Remember that video at the start of the season where Mike Riley and Anthony Taylor were saying how they would allow more contact to be made before giving a foul? Well it lasted 3 games and they saw Spurs top and Woolwich bottom. They had an international break then came back and Jon Moss sent off Tanganga for 2 small fouls and gave Palace every dive in the match.

The FA have been keeping Spurs down for years because Sky support Woolwich and Spuirs are their natural enemy. So all the talk from Riley meant nothing, it's the same crappy refereeing we had last season and every season before.

They will carry on cheating Spurs with the armpit offside fake lines which they also promised to not do anymore and Anthony Taylor giving a foul he never saw and VAR not showing him the monitor. It's very obvious and corrupt but nobody in the press says so.

I thought that VAR should only overall where a clear mistake had been made by the on-field officials. Based on any line that anyone wants to draw it absolutely isn’t clear, and that’s where the injustice lies.
Offsides in general are clear and obvious. They draw the two lines and then its clear if its offside or not because we can see the two lines. Just like goalline technology, even the smallest fraction of the ball is still on the line , its clear and obvious that the ball hasnt crossed.

You cant do that with a foul which might be determined if someone used enough force to push someone . You cant measure that , so those kind of decisions are not clear and obvious.

The Tottenham-hating media said it was 10 men Southampton holding out against 11 men Spurs, it wasn't. It was 12 men v 11 as Anthony Taylor, probably the worst ref in the EPL and on VAR Martin Atkinson (who is Chelsea's favourite ref) conspired to cheat Tottenham.

Remember that video at the start of the season where Mike Riley and Anthony Taylor were saying how they would allow more contact to be made before giving a foul? Well it lasted 3 games and they saw Spurs top and Woolwich bottom. They had an international break then came back and Jon Moss sent off Tanganga for 2 small fouls and gave Palace every dive in the match.

The FA have been keeping Spurs down for years because Sky support Woolwich and Spuirs are their natural enemy. So all the talk from Riley meant nothing, it's the same crappy refereeing we had last season and every season before.

They will carry on cheating Spurs with the armpit offside fake lines which they also promised to not do anymore and Anthony Taylor giving a foul he never saw and VAR not showing him the monitor. It's very obvious and corrupt but nobody in the press says so.

Who got you the tin foil hat for Christmas?

When people moan about why a played instead of b, or why c replaced d, it's easy to forget that our players (and theirs of course) had had just 46 hours rest.

It's amazing that both teams could offer an entertaining game in such circumstances without any fatigue-related injuries

Well, I guess I would say "if ifs and buts were beer and nuts we'd have a great party". He scored 1 goal today and it was a penalty...the rest is academic. Beyond that I don't base my assessment of a player on how many goals they've scored. Those are moments in a game. But evaluating a player in a game takes into account myriad moments and any evaluation is based on the entirety of those moments.
I wonder would you have taken the same stance with Greaves when he played for us?

Alot of overreacting on here imo. We got unlucky yesterday and had a good amount of realistic goalscoring scenarios. I was pissed after the game as well, but right now, we still need a few adjustments. A more creative player is missing, like Ndombele or GLC, but if Conte doesnt trust them, then thats that. Also the wingbacks need to be more aggressive and stretch the opposition. It was pretty easy for Southampton yesterday to close down and defend deep.

And I'm not sure how you guys feel - I got frustrated and felt let down by the result and I actually missed that feeling. Its been some time, as the football has been so bad in the last few years and even winning didnt really affect my mood. Knowing that Mourinho would find a way to ruin any positive momentum.

We have a working system and a manager, who reacts to possible events (subbing Reguilon for Doherty) and pushes the current squad. Said that, I still think top 4 is a stretch - more quality is needed.

Back
Top Bottom