Singing “Oh When The Spurs” Until We Score

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Slightly OT, but on a similar theme... why don't they sell Tottenham cake at the ground on a matchday?? (I've only ever seen them in Greggs... an they're fucking PINK!)

Chants aren't only good for raising the game of your players, they are good for demoralizing the opposition. Unlike some, I don't mind watching Woolwich on TV, though I am often disapointed because I watch it really for those occations, like today, where they lose. But I frequently have to turn the sound off because I can't bare their fucking chanting. They don't do it that often, thankfully, but when they sing out one of their songs, it brings me down (it feels like someone slowly driving a nail into my skull) and that's exactly what it's like for oppositon fans, and probably their players too, when they hear us singing our song "Oh - when - the - spurs..."

People who don't chant at footy matches are odd, if you ask me. It makes no sense because it is one of those very few opportunities in today's British life to do something you do not normally do, to let out those emotions and relax and take part, in ultimately, helping to bring about victory for your team. I find it bizare that people pay so much money for tickets and then they choose to miss out on a big portion of the experience. 1882 - you're doing a good job; keep it up!

Has anyone ever heard another club sing "Can't smile without you"? I can't recall ever hearing it sung by opposition. Rare as it is to hear that one sung in time by us, it always gives me goosebumps whenever it is.

Has anyone ever heard another club sing "Can't smile without you"? I can't recall ever hearing it sung by opposition. Rare as it is to hear that one sung in time by us, it always gives me goosebumps whenever it is.
This!

It's always frustrating when it dies out in the second verse though - everyone needs to learn the words and make it out anthem!

Just one thing, I thought I should mention about the chants at Thursday night's match.

I was in Block 34 and when the Sol Campbell chant was sung, I could visibly see the stewarding and police presence step-up a gear. As well as quite a few younger Spurs fans near to me finding it offensive and I saw numerous parents putting their hands over children's ears.

Please do not think I am being a party pooper, I know why it is chanted and he was my idol when I was growing-up following Spurs. But I really think that the chant is best kept to the pub in the future, and should not be sung at the ground. The one about Arsene Wenger falls into this category as well, in my opinion.

Great atmosphere throughout 1882.

Last edited:
I was in Block 34 and when the Sol Campbell chant was sung, I could visibly see the stewarding and police presence step-up a gear. As well as quite a few younger Spurs fans near to me finding it offensive and saw numerous parents putting their hands over children's ears

Got to disagree. There is a family stand for a reason. I saw loads of spare seats, put them over there if they do not like it.
Make the Park Lane age 16+ only, it is only fair.

If we can't chant the "Judas" Campbell song then sooner, or later we won't be able to chant ANY song with swearing in it. Think of it this way; Three years ago could you imagine we wouldn't be able to chant "Yid"?

They are moving from one thing to another and we, the fans need to stand up against it, united.

Got to disagree. There is a family stand for a reason. I saw loads of spare seats, put them over there if they do not like it.
Make the Park Lane age 16+ only, it is only fair.

This in a nutshell. People who take their kids in the PL are obviously not regulars or they would sit in the designated family stand.

Just further sanitisation of football for the benefit of the delicate ears of TV viewers.

Got to be honest, it's about time Spurs supporters came up with something a bit more original. as this song has seen it's day. I should also point out that the song belongs to Southampton. I think we need to chant more, rather than sing. This is more hypnotic, and why they make a lot more noise on the continent. I would also like to see the drum reintroduced.
Do some research before whipping out that bold claim, Dundee were the first British club, I spend a lot of time in the south coast so when I am singing Oh When The Spurs the argument often arises.

Same with Grand Old Team. Celtic started it in 1961 (was actually written for them i believe) but most English fans associate it with Everton. However, Spurs have been singing since at least 1967 & Everton since 1984.

Just one thing, I thought I should mention about the chants at Thursday night's match.

I was in Block 34 and when the Sol Campbell chant was sung, I could visibly see the stewarding and police presence step-up a gear. As well as quite a few younger Spurs fans near to me finding it offensive and I saw numerous parents putting their hands over children's ears.

Please do not think I am being a party pooper, I know why it is chanted and he was my idol when I was growing-up following Spurs. But I really think that the chant is best kept to the pub in the future, and should not be sung at the ground. The one about Arsene Wenger falls into this category as well, in my opinion.

You can't take your kid to a football match and not expect there to be swear words. When did turning up to the football become a family friendly thing? I'm not condoning some of the worse songs about Wenger or Judas, but to say we can't say 'cunt' or 'fuck' or 'shit' is odd logic.

Sensitive thoughtfull , protective of vulnerable people,my mum wants me to marry you,and can you come tea after the scouse game:windy:

Sensitive thoughtfull , protective of vulnerable people,my mum wants me to marry you,and can you come tea after the scouse game:windy:
Thank you. Sorry to disappoint, but I am already spoken for and have been happily married for almost 10 years.

Ha-ha, following Spurs is my mid-week & weekend mistress already.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the Sol song, and not 'cos of the connotations, but just 'cos it's got that cunt's name in it!!!!
Same reason with the Ledley/one knee/Terry song.... But then again, I do have a vested interest in the 'God Save Our Ledley King' version!!!!

I think there will be a few renditions on Wednesday...
Hopefully, with the entire ground on its' feet! (except the away end!!)

Back
Top Bottom