Should the transfer window be scrapped?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im a bit fed up with it.

Its crazy that a club has to wait a whole year before it can buy reinforcements. Or build a team. The winter window is next to useless, with nobody willing to sell their best players because they cant replace them.

If the window was scrapped it would get the transfer market moving again.

Its absolute madness that all activity is done 3 months in the year.

Yes, the January one should be scrapped, but no transfers throughout the season.

Except some sort of youth loan system would still need to be in place.

We just signed a guy who scored the breakthrough goal against ManCity, which might well lead to us getting CL (in terms of club uplift)...

Also got rid of two whose feelings about being here was probably very negative to the groups feelings...

Think I want to keep Bergwijn and Gedson myself. Plus happy Eriksen and Rose are not amongst the group any more.

Im a bit fed up with it.

Its crazy that a club has to wait a whole year before it can buy reinforcements. Or build a team. The winter window is next to useless, with nobody willing to sell their best players because they cant replace them.

If the window was scrapped it would get the transfer market moving again.

Its absolute madness that all activity is done 3 months in the year.
Are you a football fan or a transfers fan?

Most every other sport in the world contains player movement to the off-season. The winter transfer window, I believe, is absurd and should be scrapped. Its distracting and potentially undermines/derails the season. As you say, clubs don't want to sell when they can't replace...but players can have their heads turned just the same, and become bitter throughout the most important part of the season because they're move fell through or was stonewalled.

Getting rid of the window entirely is idiocy. You'll go back to the days of every time a player at a lesser club begins to stand out the media will start building up the transfer narrative. The Brighton's of the world will scarcely know what players they'll still have available week to week, as the big clubs swoop in like scavengers every time a Kane or an Aguero go down with an injury. It would be particularly damaging regarding goalkeepers, I would imagine.

Scrap the winter window, certainly. But restrict player movement to the offseason - if you're with a team in August then you're gonna be with them in May. Want a move, then deal with that situation in June.

We just signed a guy who scored the breakthrough goal against ManCity, which might well lead to us getting CL (in terms of club uplift)...

Also got rid of two whose feelings about being here was probably very negative to the groups feelings...

Think I want to keep Bergwijn and Gedson myself. Plus happy Eriksen and Rose are not amongst the group any more.

If we can eventually see our midfield options consisting of Winks, Soumare, Ndombele, Gedson & Lo Celso that would be wonderful. THe exciting thing about it is that for all that top talent, only one of them isn't a Tottenham player a striker it stands. Very impressive options if we can secure a top DM

Are you a football fan or a transfers fan?

Most every other sport in the world contains player movement to the off-season. The winter transfer window, I believe, is absurd and should be scrapped. Its distracting and potentially undermines/derails the season. As you say, clubs don't want to sell when they can't replace...but players can have their heads turned just the same, and become bitter throughout the most important part of the season because they're move fell through or was stonewalled.

Getting rid of the window entirely is idiocy. You'll go back to the days of every time a player at a lesser club begins to stand out the media will start building up the transfer narrative. The Brighton's of the world will scarcely know what players they'll still have available week to week, as the big clubs swoop in like scavengers every time a Kane or an Aguero go down with an injury. It would be particularly damaging regarding goalkeepers, I would imagine.

Scrap the winter window, certainly. But restrict player movement to the offseason - if you're with a team in August then you're gonna be with them in May. Want a move, then deal with that situation in June.

We never used to have a window. Clubs could trade right up to April. Why change it? To me its rediculous you cant buy a player to cover a long term injury.

Im not talkking about signings. Im talking bout the rules in general. Nobody buys food 12 months in advance. Seems dumb to have the restriction.

Yes, the January one should be scrapped, but no transfers throughout the season.

Except some sort of youth loan system would still need to be in place.
I don't think a loan system throughout the season is a good idea. The fact that youth can recalled makes them less valuable to the clubs they're loaned to...put the time and effort into polishing up United's midfielder and you're likely to lose a big part of your team maybe right at the business end of a promotion push or relegation fight. Thus you're not really incentivized to put effort into the loanee... in which case, why should his parent club loan him to begin with.

Loan contracts should be better regulated, perhaps with the lending club having the right to terminate a loan if the recipient club isn't providing an agreed upon average minutes per match. The lending club should have the right to have the player inspected by their medical staff, and to shut the player down if they medically see fit. But that should mean the player doesn't play for anyone during that period.

I'm pretty down on the loan system, in general, and think the loaning of "senior" players should be scrapped all together. Any player not produced by a clubs academy and over a certain age, say 20, should not be eligible for a loan. Either give the player a real spot in your squad and an honest shot at making the lineup or cut them lose and let them chase their big break elsewhere. The big clubs are increasingly monopolizing the player market to the detriment of the game as a whole and players themselves.

We never used to have a window. Clubs could trade right up to April. Why change it? To me its rediculous you cant buy a player to cover a long term injury.
It was changed literally because the of scenario I outlined - big clubs scavenging small clubs' talent in the middle of the season to patch up injuries and creating chaos for clubs who week to week couldn't count on which members of their squad would be available and motivated or who would be bought or distracted by their agent negotiating a move to another club.

It was changed literally because the of scenario I outlined - big clubs scavenging small clubs' talent in the middle of the season to patch up injuries and creating chaos for clubs who week to week couldn't count on which members of their squad would be available and motivated or who would be bought or distracted by their agent negotiating a move to another club.

Was it actually that? Or was it to align with Europe?

Was it actually that? Or was it to align with Europe?

Both played into making it happen, but the biggest issue was giving clubs the ability to get through at least 2 phases of the season without worrying week to week about which players they could field. If it wasn't the biggest impetus then it certainly would have been in short order, with the invasion of carbon-clubs. Does anyone think City wouldn't have offered Mane and Alexander-Arnold £300k pw in November to derail Liverpool's title run? What could stop a club from entering highly publicized negotiations with another club's player just before an important showdown...just to "fail to reach terms" once the match was over with the other club likely sitting out said player because he was distracted and unreliable due to the potential move.

Player movement during the season would be more of a shit show now in the age of the super agent then it ever was before. No thank you - like I said, freeze rosters at the beginning of the season until the close of the season. Someone gets hurt? That's when you turn to youth.

The winter window is next to useless, with nobody willing to sell their best players because they cant replace them.
What an idiot you are.

0_GettyImages-1197308874.jpg

Can you bring in players that aren't registered with other clubs? Vorm did iirc.

With all the rage being to wind the transfer down then there is scope to sign the fat kids on the bench outside of windows.

Personally I love the drama of it all.

Back
Top Bottom