Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's had a really good season, his athleticism and fitness is really really good.

yes he made an error yesterday, but he's still a very good player

He's had a really good season, his athleticism and fitness is really really good.

yes he made an error yesterday, but he's still a very good player
The problem is his bad moments are Very bad.

Too bad to be considered a very good player imo.

Jose knows this, we heard his views on the documentary and we went out and signed another right back. Doherty hasn't cut the mustard so Aurier was thrown back in and stepped up well.

I think longer-term he will still be thinking we need to upgrade there.

If he is serious about mounting a title challenge with Tottenham he will know there's no room for players who are suspect to brain farts at the drop of a hat. He phased out one member of the three musketeers in Sanchez but has been forced to still play Aurier and Sissoko way more than he would have wanted.

Maybe once the brain fart element is removed completely we will see a bit more trust shown and open up a bit.

I think people need to chill a bit about Aurier. He's still our best right back.

Unless Doherty kicks it up several notches, Serge is the man until we get to another summer and yet another search for a new full-back.
The problem with what you are saying is we should be. Having a 5 games a year match looser in our team.

If he is serious about mounting a title challenge with Tottenham he will know there's no room for players who are suspect to brain farts at the drop of a hat. He phased out one member of the three musketeers in Sanchez but has been forced to still play Aurier and Sissoko way more than he would have wanted.

Maybe once the brain fart element is removed completely we will see a bit more trust shown and open up a bit.
I don’t k ow if the brain farts could be removed completely, but a brain fart once a season is not too detrimental.

Yesterday’s brain fart was probably the first brain fart he had in over a season, and as far as I can see that’s not too bad.

If he could play like he did against Chelsea anf Liverpool while doing one brain fart a season, I’d say he’s a keeper.

I think people need to chill a bit about Aurier. He's still our best right back.

Unless Doherty kicks it up several notches, Serge is the man until we get to another summer and yet another search for a new full-back.

And this is the thing. I know Aurier is flawed, mostly mentally, but if you scour Europe there really isn't a bunch of rounded, multifaceted, athletic, dynamic, technically great, smart RB's around.

Even Bayern Munich have got fucking Pavard. ManU have got AWB. City have got Walker who's pretty much just an English version of Aurier with a slightly better engine.

And this is the thing. I know Aurier is flawed, mostly mentally, but if you scour Europe there really isn't a bunch of rounded, multifaceted, athletic, dynamic, technically great, smart RB's around.

Even Bayern Munich have got fucking Pavard. ManU have got AWB. City have got Walker who's pretty much just an English version of Aurier with a slightly better engine.
Which kind of makes Aurier one of the top-performing players in his position right now!!!

Fans raving about Doherty as being one of the best RB's in the PL, "what a singing"!!!! It should have brought into sharp focus just how much better Aurier is to Doherty "one of the best RB's in the league".

We live in a world where only 100% is acceptable, where narratives are falsely built and perpetuated. An example being with Walker, to listen to fans he's the king of the "brain fart", yet he gave away his 1st penalty in his entire 17yr professional career (465 games) only the other week!!!

Maybe because Doherty was a good bet to have on your fantasy team, a player deployed as a wingback, free from the burden of tracking back and defending, gets a handful of assists and scores a couple of goals and therefore got me loads of points, failing to acknowledge that fantasy points are accumulated solely from the assist and goal and ignore the 1,000 crosses he took to attain his 6 assists.

The total lack of awareness that football is about mistakes, it's about forcing them, it's about a player performing with risk that might invite more of them, loads of scenarios. But no, for fans they hold a player up to an impossible expectation, aligned with a total lack of context to what a player brings to a side both with and without the ball. Nothing else matters.

We sold Kyle Walker. So a top club should never be downgrading.

Why shouldn't I trust him? He played very well up till now, and made one mistake, like many, many others players made.
why shouldnt you trust him? because hes a liability who gives away needless penalties and has done ever since hes been here. no coincidence hes let the club down yet again. if its not penalties its silly freekicks in dangerous positions when the other player was going no where. seen it time and time and time again, maybe youre watching a different game or just not paying attention.

why shouldnt you trust him? because hes a liability who gives away needless penalties and has done ever since hes been here. no coincidence hes let the club down yet again. if its not penalties its silly freekicks in dangerous positions when the other player was going no where. seen it time and time and time again, maybe youre watching a different game or just not paying attention.

Would you prefer Doherty started over him?

I'll be fair to aurier to say that he can be a decent fullback- on a team that looks to score at least 2-3 goals per game.

I.e put aurier on leeds and he would do well because he's good going forward and his one mental lapse every two or three games would be covered by the sheer number of goals his team scores.

Aurier is in no way suited to a Mourinho team trying to win 1-0 consistently.
And he is one of four in the current back four not suited to it...

Alderwiereld, Dier and Reguilon have all made the same amount or more mistakes than Aurier this season.

Guess which one gets the vitriol ?

I'm sure it'll only take a Spurs winning run and a few cleansheets for the thread to go quiet again and the less hyperbolic to praise a good performance.

Which kind of makes Aurier one of the top-performing players in his position right now!!!

Fans raving about Doherty as being one of the best RB's in the PL, "what a singing"!!!! It should have brought into sharp focus just how much better Aurier is to Doherty "one of the best RB's in the league".

We live in a world where only 100% is acceptable, where narratives are falsely built and perpetuated. An example being with Walker, to listen to fans he's the king of the "brain fart", yet he gave away his 1st penalty in his entire 17yr professional career (465 games) only the other week!!!

Maybe because Doherty was a good bet to have on your fantasy team, a player deployed as a wingback, free from the burden of tracking back and defending, gets a handful of assists and scores a couple of goals and therefore got me loads of points, failing to acknowledge that fantasy points are accumulated solely from the assist and goal and ignore the 1,000 crosses he took to attain his 6 assists.

The total lack of awareness that football is about mistakes, it's about forcing them, it's about a player performing with risk that might invite more of them, loads of scenarios. But no, for fans they hold a player up to an impossible expectation, aligned with a total lack of context to what a player brings to a side both with and without the ball. Nothing else matters.

Yeah agree, like you with Trippier. The RB who's XA is identical to Aurier's, who has 3 more assists this season than Aurier, averaging 52 passes (Aurier 37) whilst paying for the team who are 3 points top of La Liga with a game in hand, part of a defence that have conceded 5 goals (9 less than us) all season and scored 26.

Trippier was another one of those payers who's narrative was falsely built and perpetuated. Like Aurier, he was not perfect, had flaws - in his case more physical, where Aurier's are more mental - but he also had some good qualities and was nowhere near as bad as you and many others made out.

Yeah agree, like you with Trippier. The RB who's XA is identical to Aurier's, who has 3 more assists this season than Aurier, averaging 52 passes (Aurier 37) whilst paying for the team who are 3 points top of La Liga with a game in hand, part of a defence that have conceded 5 goals (9 less than us) all season and scored 26.

Trippier was another one of those payers who's narrative was falsely built and perpetuated. Like Aurier, he was not perfect, had flaws - in his case more physical, where Aurier's are more mental - but he also had some good qualities and was nowhere near as bad as you and many others made out.
And no, he's crap for all the reasons I have specifically given time and again, ESPECIALLY because I'm arguing that fantasy football stats, and YES I even had him in my fantasy team, is NOT the measure of a decent player. It's about what their game contribution is with and without the ball, the ability to beat a press, play out from the back in a team that wants to play out from the back.

Thought so.

Doherty has conceded more penalties this season than Aurier - so I guess he's even worse!
aurier has had a few good games this year, probably 2-3 good games the previous 2 years. you actually think thats good enough for a club like this? thats not even taking into account hes wreckless and braindead and thats been proven time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom