Second Half Goals Conceded

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saw a very impressive statistic last. In our first 16 games, as we know, we gave away too many late goals (9 in the final 10 minutes and 20 in the second half) which cost us 8 points. In our past 12 games we have conceded only two second half goals, furthermore, they have both come in our last two games.

AVB and the coaching staff have to take enormous credit for the way in which they have worked on the training ground, the players too for implementing that training into game situations.

If we are able to maintain that kind of form defensively I don't see how we can blow top four. The team works so well as a unit, moving as one from front to to back, better than I can remember us ever being in the past 25 years. This might seem a little over the top but I honestly can't recall us having had such cohesion over this many games. There are challenges ahead, of course but teh confidence among the players must be so high that there is no team in the league who will be looking forward to playing us.

I was just pleased to see us score a couple of "ordinary" goals in recent games, two on sunday and gylfis against west ham as we did seem to be relying on "screamers".

Hopefully with Defoe getting back to fitness we will see alot more of these "ordinary" goals from in or around the penalty area. I think Holtby will link up well with Defoe and Gylfi coming into some form is a great prospect to work well too

I thought JD looked sharp when he came on. I hope he's got over the injury problems he's had.

I have to say I don't think there was anything 'ordinary' about our goals v Woolwich, both were really well crafted with top class finishes.

Woolwich's goal was ordinary, a fluky deflection that should actually be an og. Both the last two Prem goals scored against us at the Lane have been lucky deflections for the other team.

I think the point is the goals on Sunday were constructed by the team (as pretty as they were) which should be expected week to week (as in a team effort) rather than pieces of individual brilliance being the root of many of the goals we have scored recently.

The last two games have involved teams that wanted to play us and wanted to score goals. This allowed us more opportunity to stretch the defence and actually get behind them... Something that has been difficult for quite a string of games, including Champions League regulars Lyon parking the bus on us.

Not that any team doesn't want to score goals, but a lot of teams have been setting up to try and prevent us scoring first and foremost, even when they are at home.

Defoe coming back will definitely help imo, as the breaks that we make won't be slowed down and we might actually see him getting a shot off instead of being second to the ball going over the top. Plus I just think those situations will quicken up a bit in general. He might not have been scoring before his injury, but I think it's pretty clear to see now that we have missed his movement. Playing with a lone striker, it's important that we have someone available in the box and Ade is spending too much of his time in other areas imo.

Agree that Ade does move into other areas much too much for my liking as a centre forward but to contradict myself his movement also created space for Bale's goal on Sunday and Defoe has done this in the past as well. I think Defoe is better at doing this on occasions rather than Ade doing it for most of the game from what i've seen

I'd argue the last two goals conceded were poor goals to allow. Both set pieces, and we one of those was scored by the oppositions only target man.
This being said- I have faith (for the first time in a long while) that the coaching staff knows this.

Agree that Ade does move into other areas much too much for my liking as a centre forward but to contradict myself his movement also created space for Bale's goal on Sunday and Defoe has done this in the past as well. I think Defoe is better at doing this on occasions rather than Ade doing it for most of the game from what i've seen
Yeah, I don't mind him running across the channels, but it's when he starts occupying the wingers space when the ball is slow. He seems to go to the left most often and then just occupies the space that, left or right, Bale/Lennon/BAE/Walker want to be in and are better suited to... Where's our goal threat at this time?

I don't mind the striker hitting width on a break, but when play is slowed up and we have a sole striker, what is he doing with chalk on his boots?

Then on the absolute flip side of this, if he is on the opposite side of play, he'll leave a massive no mans land of space between him and the ball with no way of it getting passed in, so it has to go back deeper into midfield or forces a run to the byline... Which he's never ready to get on the end of!... So bloody frustrating at the moment, he needs to sort his head out.

Back
Top Bottom