Season review 2019-20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Form table before JM arrived:

1 Liverpool 12111028:101834
2 Leicester1282229:82126
3 Chelsea 1282227:171026
4 Man City 1281335:132225
5 Sheffield Utd. 1245313:9417
6 Woolwich1245316:17-117
7 Man Utd1244416:12416
8 Wolves1237216:15116
9 Bournemouth1244415:15016
10 Burnley1243517:18-115
11 Brighton1243515:17-215
12 Crystal Palace1243510:16-615
13 Newcastle1243511:18-715
14 Spurs1235418:17114
15 Everton1242613:18-514
16 West Ham1234514:20-613
17 Aston Villa 1232717:20-311
18 Watford121568:23-158
19 Southampton1222811:29-188
20 Norwich 1221911:28-177

Form table since Jose joined:

1Liverpool26212357:233465
2Man City26182667:224556
3Man Utd26148450:242650
4Spurs26136743:301345
5Southampton26135840:31944
6Wolves26127735:251043
7Chelsea261241042:37540
8Woolwich26109740:31939

So over a season, that's 1.73 PPG.

Which is about 66 points - usually not good enough for top 4. Then again, depends how much the top teams underachieve.

In comparison to Pochs seasons with us:

2.26 - 2016/17 (86 points)
2.02 - 2017/18 (77 points)
1.88 - 2018/19 (71 points)
1.84 - 2015/16 (70 points)

1.73 - 2019/20 (45 points) - MOURINHO

1.68 - 2014/15 (64 points)
1.16 - 2019/20 (14 points)

So it puts him just slightly above Pochs first season for us - here's hoping he can of course improve on this when he's given his own pre-season and players he thinks will improve the team.

Could have been very different had we signed Bruno Fernandes rather than Tanguy Ndombele last summer - Fernandes has been ManU's main player to turn round their season.......Ndombele more of a diversion than a player for Spurs.

And we havent seen much effect from Sessegnon either.

Not much of a return for £80m - £90m !

So over a season, that's 1.73 PPG.

Which is about 66 points - usually not good enough for top 4. Then again, depends how much the top teams underachieve.

Probably most poignantly, it was this season. :)

Could have been very different had we signed Bruno Fernandes rather than Tanguy Ndombele last summer - Fernandes has been ManU's main player to turn round their season.......Ndombele more of a diversion than a player for Spurs.

Sad but true....

Said this in another thread, but we spent 100m to revamp our MF and ended up finishing the season with Winks/Sissoko at CM and never once saw GLC & Ndombele on the pitch together.

Liquid football..... Entertainment par excellence. Can't wait for the DVD.
POTY: Tanguy Ndombele
Biggest let down: The protest plane that couldn't get off the ground.
Personal pledge for next season: Melt harder at the first sign of adversity.

COYS! :freundgoal:
Is there anything you don’t ever turn into a Levy reacharound on here? Mr Better fan than anyone else

Glad to see the back of it. One elongated bastard of a season. Some slight signs of improvement towards the end.

Need some proper shrewd signings in the window: better full-backs, DM, and cover for Kane at the least, and the Ndombele situation needs sorting - play him or bloody sell him

This season has been one of the weirdest in living memory for all the obvious reasons...

But amongst all the turmoil we always must look for positives... just doing a list of top ten things I can take from this stop start season:

1-Without Harry Kane we are no better than a bottom half side..
2-Mourinho plays what looks like some dreadful football, simply because we don’t have the proper players, but given the right players this kind of football can be exhilarating on the counter, and nothing winds the opposition up more than having the majority of the possession only to get smacked in the mouth...we have suffered those smacks in the mouth for years!!

3-Levy needs to be really “obedient” to his manager in the next window.

4-The stadium Stewards need to turn a blind eye to certain things...(got it on good authority they are only being cunts because we are being watched very closely by “authorities” as we are still under restrictions on permits etc etc”....the powers to be do really hate us I feel!!

5-A good proper reality check was needed, top 4 is not a given, and a squad needs to be strong in all positions with 2 good players in each...

6-Mourinho will go all out for all trophies next season, no long winded explanations about why this or why that, he will go all in....

7-Covid19 has really highlighted the fact football needs us fans more than we need football..

8-I’m confident Mourinho has got great transfer connections throughout football, it’s a matter of will we pay for it.

9-Woolwich are complete dog shit, and if Chelsea can do them in the cup final their season has been a complete train crash...

10- Ledley King is back!!!!!

Torturous season overall on many levels.
A shadow of the team of 3 years ago.
Surprisingly money was spent in the transfer window but overall wasted , the policy of young guns with a sell on hasn't had any impact. Only Le Celso looks that he may add something but time will tell , the strange decision to buy a Dutch winger when other areas needed upgrading was unbelievable .
A major concern for many is the quality of the football. It's certainly not the beautiful game . Parking the bus and hitting on the break doesn't excite many for the future . Results will blind people's principals but do many really have any expectations for next season considering how poor performance level has been and the major rebuild that is needed?
A slight improvement in the last few games of a sort .
Defence looks more organised , Kane showing something of old . Midfield is the worst in over a decade and starving of creativity , with little change on the horizon.
Certainly a minor success the late surge for a Euro place . Watching games on a damp Thursday from Crapastan Partizan from a minor Turkic republic or the snowy Caucasian mountains will seem rather exciting for some but for many like a sub zero January night out in Dawson City.
Personally
4/10
Considering what expectations were at the start of the season.
Wish you all well brothers and sisters .

At the start of the season I was concerned about our poor form the season before. However pleased we had spent good money on Lo Celso & N'dombele. It was bad from the off and we had some dreadful results Colchester, Brighton & Bayen. Poch had to go and he did. Surprised Mourinho agreed to be our Manager with our reputation of not spending money. It started well but then went badly wrong again with defeats by Chelsea and going out of the cups. The injuries were bad but Mourinho did not handle it well and performances were dire. The shutdown saved our season. Since then some performances and results have been poor, Sheff Utd and Bournemouth. However we then won a few matches. Yesterday was again a poor performance but it sounds as if they played for the draw because that was all they needed but my expectations for next season were dented.
Went to WHL for the first time for years and largely enjoyed the matches I saw especially 5-0 V Burnley.
P League C 59 points and 6th place was barely a satisfactory result but it looked much worse for most of the season
League Cup E that result was embarrassing.
F A Cup D should not despite the injuries be losing to the team bottom of the League at Home
C/L B whilst disappointing exit we did get through the Group stages.
Not a season to be remembered but could have been worse and some hopeful signs towards the end. The biggest worry is no income due to no fans being allowed and how that will affect our transfers.

Hindsight perhaps, but I was very keen on us signing Fernandes back when that was on the cards.

Fernandes seems to have adapted to the premier league faster than Ndombele. But there is a 2 year difference in age so if he can improve this coming season. No worries :)

Hindsight perhaps, but I was very keen on us signing Fernandes back when that was on the cards.

Yup but we signed Ndombele at start of window, so if had signed Fernandes we wouldnt have signed Lo Celso I suspect.

Really like Lo Celso but Fernandes has been a season changer for ManU sincde he arrived in January, taken that club by the scruff of its neck and appeared at times to have been its captain.

If I could turn the clock back I'd have signed (Bruno) Fernandes and Lo Celso that's for sure, based upon this season. Question is whether Ndombele improves

Assuming he can get fit and the manager is willing to play him. Personally i have my doubts over either.
I think him getting fit physically and also mentally is key. If he is as good as we are led to believe then he will play. Unless Mourinho has had enough of him :mourbye:

Yup but we signed Ndombele at start of window, so if had signed Fernandes we wouldnt have signed Lo Celso I suspect.

Really like Lo Celso but Fernandes has been a season changer for ManU sincde he arrived in January, taken that club by the scruff of its neck and appeared at times to have been its captain.

If I could turn the clock back I'd have signed (Bruno) Fernandes and Lo Celso that's for sure, based upon this season. Question is whether Ndombele improves
You have to remember Lo Celso was a loan with option to buy

Back
Top Bottom