Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The boy needs a growth spurt I reckon. Just so he can get as big as the real Messi and he aint big.
He is about the same height as Maradona, if not an inch shorter. As long as he works on the correct gym work, he'll be fine. His balance is impeccable.

He is about the same height as Maradona, if not an inch shorter. As long as he works on the correct gym work, he'll be fine. His balance is impeccable.
He's highly ambitious so I doubt he will let lack of size hold him back. He will hit the gym if he has to.

He's highly ambitious so I doubt he will let lack of size hold him back. He will hit the gym if he has to.
I've been viewing Barcelona/Celtic and Patrick Roberts is having a good game, in fact he's looked good in most of the games I've seen him play, be it for Celtic, England or Fulham and he's practically the same size as Edwards.

I've been viewing Barcelona/Celtic and Patrick Roberts is having a good game, in fact he's looked good in most of the games I've seen him play, be it for Celtic, England or Fulham and he's practically the same size as Edwards.
I was hoping Spurs would buy him. I assume he's on loan.

I was hoping Spurs would buy him. I assume he's on loan.
Yeah, he's on loan from Man City and scored about 7 goals in 12 games since signing for Celtic. Wouldn't surprise me if he's back in the winter and plays a part in Peps team. Supremely talented footballer.

I was referring to his upper body strength. He was getting bounced about by some. He will do by 6ft 2 27 yr olds of 13 stone. Height is not important if you have the skill and football brain for the position, he does.
But to make it in the PL you have to be physically strong.
It's no use being strong and then working on your talent. In his case he has talent and having better upper body strength will improve him as a player.
Lamela was the same. He has improved his upper body strength and is not knocked off the ball so easily which has enabled him to express his talent better and improve his game.

We don't need to introduce Edwards into high pressure PL games at WHL - unless its a cameo when we are 3 up with 5 to go and looking solid.
The crowd can be a bit fickle when it comes to the next big thing.
Everyone will expect miracles form the new messiah and when he doesn't deliver, loses a few balls or makes a mistake that costs us the collective moan and groans will reverberate and transmit negativity and ruin his confidence.
Unless for a 17 yr old he is possessed with amazing mental strength and self belief.
It has happened before.
He is obviously talented. We just need to show him we believe in his talent by showing him he can make the first team here. That starts by integrating him with the first team, giving him a few run outs and seeing how he progresses in the step up.

Marcus Edwards compares favourably with that other left footed boy wonder, Martin Odegaard.
Edwards was born 2 weeks earlier than Odegaard.

I was referring to his upper body strength. He was getting bounced about by some. He will do by 6ft 2 27 yr olds of 13 stone. Height is not important if you have the skill and football brain for the position, he does.
But to make it in the PL you have to be physically strong.
It's no use being strong and then working on your talent. In his case he has talent and having better upper body strength will improve him as a player.
Lamela was the same. He has improved his upper body strength and is not knocked off the ball so easily which has enabled him to express his talent better and improve his game.

We don't need to introduce Edwards into high pressure PL games at WHL - unless its a cameo when we are 3 up with 5 to go and looking solid.
The crowd can be a bit fickle when it comes to the next big thing.
Everyone will expect miracles form the new messiah and when he doesn't deliver, loses a few balls or makes a mistake that costs us the collective moan and groans will reverberate and transmit negativity and ruin his confidence.
Unless for a 17 yr old he is possessed with amazing mental strength and self belief.
It has happened before.
He is obviously talented. We just need to show him we believe in his talent by showing him he can make the first team here. That starts by integrating him with the first team, giving him a few run outs and seeing how he progresses in the step up.
I was saying the same thing about Lamela and I got hammered for it. He does seem to be stronger now
thank God.

We should not get too excited as we have seen talented youngsters before who did not make it. I cannot remember his name but there was a youngster who played a few sub appearances and looked good. However I can also remember Keane and Berbatov really having a go when he held onto the ball too long when they were in a better position. I think he went to QPR but never fulfilled the early promise.

We should not get too excited as we have seen talented youngsters before who did not make it. I cannot remember his name but there was a youngster who played a few sub appearances and looked good. However I can also remember Keane and Berbatov really having a go when he held onto the ball too long when they were in a better position. I think he went to QPR but never fulfilled the early promise.
Adel Tarabt? This guy didn't fulfill his promise because he's such a lazy bastard.
His physical conditioning was terrible. I don't doubt that Marcus Edwards will make it.
I just hope he has a better head on his shoulders than the Moroccan guy.

Last edited:
Adel Tarabt? This guy didn't fulfill his promise because he's such a lazy bastard.
His physical conditioning was terrible. I don't doubt that Marcus Edwards will make it.
That's him. He had the same promise but as you say too lazy.

I personally see absolutely no comparison between Edwards and Taarabt.

But each to their own.

The similarity lies in their precocious footballing abilities. Arguably, Tarabt had more going for him than Edwards. Anyway, he's at Benfica now, no doubt setting the world alight...

Taraabt wasn't so much lazy as stupidly arrogant mixed with having zero football intelligence. You can dribble all you want but if you don't know when to bring you teammates in then you might as well stick to chasing a ball around the playground.

Is he signed yet? The Guardian says so, but I didn't see it on the OS
I doubt we will make a big thing announcing it, can't think of another academy player we have done that for in the past. Kirby left us and has been playing for Chavs, we and Chavs haven't said anything about it, point I'm making is academy's historically don't make announcements on individual players. Usually an there is a communication listing players that have been retained and who are released, that's it.

Back
Top Bottom