Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s a kid!

If a senior pro turns up late, gives attitude etc then they deserve to be shown the door.

With kids, it’s inportant to guide them and teach them. His attitude could change with the right mentoring. It’s more than just about his career at Spurs, it’s important that he has a career at all. It’s easy to give up on someone and perhaps he will fall into a bad place if we do so.

He’s a kid!

If a senior pro turns up late, gives attitude etc then they deserve to be shown the door.

With kids, it’s inportant to guide them and teach them. His attitude could change with the right mentoring. It’s more than just about his career at Spurs, it’s important that he has a career at all. It’s easy to give up on someone and perhaps he will fall into a bad place if we do so.
He’s on a professional contract. School days are over, time to be a grown up and go into work on time. FFS most people’s days are half over by the time footballers report, and the footballers are still back at home on the couch talking nonsense to their model girlfriends hours before we punch out.

Attitude problems are one thing, and sometimes they can be indicative of greatness within a person. Michael Jordan, for instance, was by all accounts a complete nightmare for anyone to deal with from management to coaches and teammates. Cantona was difficult. Ronaldo is a selfish prick. But if you can’t show up at work mid-morning, you’re a cunt. Period.

He’s on a professional contract. School days are over, time to be a grown up and go into work on time. FFS most people’s days are half over by the time footballers report, and the footballers are still back at home on the couch talking nonsense to their model girlfriends hours before we punch out.

Attitude problems are one thing, and sometimes they can be indicative of greatness within a person. Michael Jordan, for instance, was by all accounts a complete nightmare for anyone to deal with from management to coaches and teammates. Cantona was difficult. Ronaldo is a selfish prick. But if you can’t show up at work mid-morning, you’re a cunt. Period.

I’m not making excuses for him, I’m saying 19 is very early age to give up on someone as a human being!

I’m not ready to label somebody who I don’t know, who’s 19, a cunt because he has punctuality problems.

He’s been foolish, he needs to grow up, I’d rather he grew up with us than somewhere else. If the club think they can channel him in the right direction then we should believe in that decision. If they don’t, then we will accept that and move on but personally I hope the kid has a good career, some of these kids only know football and haven’t gathered the skills to be a success in the real world. That may be a mixture of his fault, his family’s fault but a lot of blame has to go to the spotlight that was thrown on him at the age of 15! If you tell someone (especially a kid) that they are great, they will believe it.

Ask some of the most successful people in the world what they were like at 19 and I’m sure you’ll get some shocking answers.

Spot on

It's tricky because as a 19 year old (and still largely as a 31 year old) I was not motivated by anything. However, football is a cut-throat world, making it on the biggest stage is a lot about being insanely committed and wanting it more than others. If he doesn't apply himself now he's blowing his chance of making it in the Premier League, and if he doesn't sort it out soon he's not going to make it as a footballer anywhere. Gutted, he has to work harder than other 19 year olds entering the workplace do. But the rewards for doing so are huger than anyone else his age can dream of. So I've not really got any sympathy unless he has personal problems that are affecting him.

If he just can't motivate himself to do a job that so many dream of having then it's probably for the best he goes and does something else.

It's tricky because as a 19 year old (and still largely as a 31 year old) I was not motivated by anything. However, football is a cut-throat world, making it on the biggest stage is a lot about being insanely committed and wanting it more than others. If he doesn't apply himself now he's blowing his chance of making it in the Premier League, and if he doesn't sort it out soon he's not going to make it as a footballer anywhere. Gutted, he has to work harder than other 19 year olds entering the workplace do. But the rewards for doing so are huger than anyone else his age can dream of. So I've not really got any sympathy unless he has personal problems that are affecting him.

If he just can't motivate himself to do a job that so many dream of having then it's probably for the best he goes and does something else.

Agree completely, but that’s not to say he can’t improve. 19 year olds attitude is far more amendable than that of a 26/27 year old.

At the end of the day it’s up to him, hopefully he wises up and becomes the player he should be.

Agree completely, but that’s not to say he can’t improve. 19 year olds attitude is far more amendable than that of a 26/27 year old.

At the end of the day it’s up to him, hopefully he wises up and becomes the player he should be.
Any other 17, 19, 30, 55 year old who failed to turn up for a single shift on time would be sacked. This idea that he’s a kid and deserves slack is bizarre. He’s making more in a week than most of his peers at 19 are making in a year, and if they behaved like he has then they’d be tossed out by their ear. Why, exactly, does he deserve a softer touch than your average 19 year old down at Tescos? You’re making excuses for grossly irresponsible and lazy behavior that no one else in the world gets.

If he had any mates at all they’d stop telling him he’s so good and start laughing at the fact that he can’t even make it stick at Norwich. Like I said, the only thing to fix a shirker like this kid is the cold, bleak reality of life.

I do know someone who knows Marcus Edwards quite well. This person says he is a brilliant footballer, but he knows it, and as such, is a complete arsehole.
I would love to have played against him. I would have made him cry. I want him gone.

Any other 17, 19, 30, 55 year old who failed to turn up for a single shift on time would be sacked. This idea that he’s a kid and deserves slack is bizarre. He’s making more in a week than most of his peers at 19 are making in a year, and if they behaved like he has then they’d be tossed out by their ear. Why, exactly, does he deserve a softer touch than your average 19 year old down at Tescos? You’re making excuses for grossly irresponsible and lazy behavior that no one else in the world gets.

If he had any mates at all they’d stop telling him he’s so good and start laughing at the fact that he can’t even make it stick at Norwich. Like I said, the only thing to fix a shirker like this kid is the cold, bleak reality of life.

I don’t think he deserves slack, I think he deserves guidance and at times, when he crosses the line, a stern telling off.

I believe the club will make the right decision whatever that may be.

Without knowing the ins and outs it’s difficult to judge whether he’s finally overstepped the mark and should be slung out the door.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, if I acted like that at 19 I’d be sacked for sure. But football clubs are not run like average businesses. Players are commodities even at the slender ages of 15/16 with the real talented ones, they are made to feel a million bucks. That can have a positive effect on some, others not so much.

Rather than going over and over it, I’ll just say I’m fully behind whatever the club decide what to do with him. He’s made mistakes I just hope he can fix them.

Still reckon he looks like an ever so slightly darker Tom Daley...
Tom-Daley.gif

Let's hope he never 'dives' during a game, or else the headlines will write themselves!

Last edited:
This thread is a great advert to why the best kids are often the ones that end up on the scrap heap by 21.
He should probably head over to Spain and play there but probably can’t be bothered to learn the language or leave his mates behind.

So much talent goes to waste.

Hope he gets himself sorted and doesn’t follow the John Bostock path to Turkey or wherever he plays now.

Back
Top Bottom