Scoring From Outside the Box

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WookieD

wharrgarbl 💫
There was a thread on GG discussing goals from outside the box at the beginning of the season (actually, it was mostly an arguement about the fact that Huddlestone could hit a ball very hard, but generally at the keeper or into row Z) and the shared wisdom seemed to point to the fact that nobody in world football hit more than a couple from outside the area in a season.

After watching Bale's latest effort against Swansea at the weekend, it got me to thinking "He must have hit a good few"... And I've just found the stats. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you long distance Gareth... Leading goal scorer from outside the area in the top European leagues this season:

Bale, Tottenham 7
Messi, Barcelona 6
Inler, Napoli 5
Pirlo, Juventus 5
Lodi, Catania 5
Traore, Lorient 5
Alessandrini, Rennes 5
Suarez, Liverpool 5

I thought a GG was a horse?

As for Mr Bale, the stat came out at the weekend that he is leading the prem for goals outside the area. fact is though, given that most of the season he has been on the wing, and has taken some memorable free kicks resulting in goals, it is not that hard to see why.

He also strikes early which helps get the better of the keeper, rather than rely on power and speed of the shot.

But then I'm greedy, I want more from him for the rest of the season and then for him to sign a new contract in the summer :baletroll: .

Back on topic - I remember that thread clearly

Gokan Inler - what a player, definitely on the 'wish we got him' list although seems highly unlikely now that Napoli have virtually secured CL football for next year while we still have quite a way to go.

Another stat for you

Bale has 38 PL goals to date - 27% of which have been scored outside the box (around 10)

I reckon Sigurdsson would be on the list too had he started more games.
It was certainly his forte at Swansea last season but he hasn't seemed to pull the trigger so much for us as much as looking to play others in. Who knows though, he's getting up to speed now.

Back
Top Bottom