Saturday 3pm Kick Offs: Where art thou?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just found out that our game on Sunday kicks off at midday which is the second time this has happened in 3 league games.

Am I the only one that is started to get fed up with this. We have played 2 games on a Saturday this season, and one of them kicked off at 3pm and that was the Norwich game which was the one game where we actually looked like a decent team!

Even after weekends where we have not played in the Europa League we still seem to end up playing on a Sunday and part of me thinks this does affect us somewhat. I know it is a poor excuse but every weekend we are essentially playing catch up with the games that have played on Saturday putting increased pressure on us to get a result.

What's most annoying though is the 12pm kick off means I have to miss most of the game as I play Sunday League football! :bentley:

All joking aside, I fucking hate playing on Sundays ALL the time. Assuming the players hate it as well, the wankers should have done more last season to get into the top 4.

Rant over.

...yeah, but we played loads on a Sunday last season too... which might have something to do with why we DIDN'T qualify!
...we've gotta break the viscous cycle!

I actually quite like playing on Sundays all the time. If spurs were to lose at 3pm Saturday it'd spoil over half of my weekend. At least when they lose on Sunday afternoon I can just choke myself on my roast potatoes, go to bed early then put a line under the week.

All joking aside, I fucking hate playing on Sundays ALL the time. Assuming the players hate it as well, the wankers should have done more last season to get into the top 4.

Rant over.

I know what you mean, but it's the early k.o's that are compounding it andkilling us... Newcastle and Man City were dismal...!!
I think the pressure being put on players knowing results from the day before is having more of an affect than we realise... of COURSE we should be looking to win games, regardless of what time/day other games kick off... but knowing we're either playing catch-up (if other teams have won) or HAVING to take advantage of their slip-up, is what's causing us to play with such fear...
I'm sure no one outside the club gives a flying shit though, so the only way to rectify it, is to qualify for CL and put all this to bed, or do what Harry did, and not let the first team anywhere near the European games!

I know what you mean, but it's the early k.o's that are compounding it andkilling us... Newcastle and Man City were dismal...!!
I think the pressure being put on players knowing results from the day before is having more of an affect than we realise... of COURSE we should be looking to win games, regardless of what time/day other games kick off... but knowing we're either playing catch-up (if other teams have won) or HAVING to take advantage of their slip-up, is what's causing us to play with such fear...
I'm sure no one outside the club gives a flying shit though, so the only way to rectify it, is to qualify for CL and put all this to bed, or do what Harry did, and not let the first team anywhere near the European games!

Agree. As I have said on another post, if Woolwich beat Cardiff on the Saturday, the players will know on Sunday at K.O. that if we lose we will be 11 points behind the scum. And as you say, they then play with fear and mistakes are made.

Agree. As I have said on another post, if Woolwich beat Cardiff on the Saturday, the players will know on Sunday at K.O. that if we lose we will be 11 points behind the scum. And as you say, they then play with fear and mistakes are made.

When you put it like that, even I'M fearful!
Thing is, if Woolwich beat Cardiff (which i'm sure they'll manage) then we ARE 11 points behind at the point of kick-off... THAT'S the crucial difference! Much as I despise Wenger, he understands the psychological side of footballers... he's always (annoyingly) going on about 'Ze Mental Strengsssss' and I think he has a point!
AVB is more concerned with the tactical side of things (and that's now come seriously into question) but we can't forget these are11 human beings, (rich ones mind) with feelings... that need to be taken into consideration. Being 11 points behind before you've even kicked a ball DOES have a negative affect, it must do.
Surely it's the job of the coach to surpass that feeling with one of positivity, and I just don't see (or hear) AVB doing that.

I can't be the only one to wonder WHY we always seem to appoint managers who don't seem to quite understand players, except 'Arry, but even he was accused of ignoring some of the youth players... even Jol was accused of being a bit dismissive of certain players, and you can't get more player-friendly than him on the face of it!
Venables was probably our best exponent of making players feel PART of something, a group togetherness... regardless of your role or position within the club, we're all in it TOGETHER, as one!

Everywhere else you hear about players regarding their managers as 'Fazzer figures'... (Ancelotti and Wenger spring to mind) ...why can't WE have that?

They were 10 and 8 points behind us the last 2 seasons and it didn't seem to affect them too much.

I appreciate this, but there are a few reasons why it didn't affect them. (1) They went on a tremendous run and barely lost at all in the final 15 odd games. Something I just cannot see us doing at the present (2) They are used to the pressure of having to win important games to get in the top 4, because they ALWAYS do it and (3) No matter what you say, they have a bloody good manager who can get the best out his players.

I appreciate this, but there are a few reasons why it didn't affect them. (1) They went on a tremendous run and barely lost at all in the final 15 odd games. Something I just cannot see us doing at the present (2) They are used to the pressure of having to win important games to get in the top 4, because they ALWAYS do it and (3) No matter what you say, they have a bloody good manager who can get the best out his players.

(4) - We got 18 points from our last 10 fixtures. In Woolwich's fixtures against the same opponents, they also gained 18 points. Funny how this never gets mentioned along with the fact Woolwich had played almost all of their hard games by that point and were lucky enough to come up against United the week after they won the league and didn't care anymore.

EDIT: I just double checked and I was wrong. Woolwich only got 16 points from the corresponding fixtures so we actually performed better than them over those 10 fixtures.

Last edited:
(4) - We got 18 points from our last 10 fixtures. In Woolwich's fixtures against the same opponents, they also gained 18 points. Funny how this never gets mentioned along with the fact Woolwich had played almost all of their hard games by that point and were lucky enough to come up against United the week after they won the league and didn't care anymore.
Don't let facts and reason get in the way of a good 'ol bullshit spin-around

Saturday 3pm kickoffs would hinder the attendance of the Jewish part of the partially Jewish fanbase that supports the club from attending matches due to the Sabbath.

So there is that

When you put it like that, even I'M fearful!
Thing is, if Woolwich beat Cardiff (which i'm sure they'll manage) then we ARE 11 points behind at the point of kick-off... THAT'S the crucial difference! Much as I despise Wenger, he understands the psychological side of footballers... he's always (annoyingly) going on about 'Ze Mental Strengsssss' and I think he has a point!
AVB is more concerned with the tactical side of things (and that's now come seriously into question) but we can't forget these are11 human beings, (rich ones mind) with feelings... that need to be taken into consideration. Being 11 points behind before you've even kicked a ball DOES have a negative affect, it must do.
Surely it's the job of the coach to surpass that feeling with one of positivity, and I just don't see (or hear) AVB doing that.

I can't be the only one to wonder WHY we always seem to appoint managers who don't seem to quite understand players, except 'Arry, but even he was accused of ignoring some of the youth players... even Jol was accused of being a bit dismissive of certain players, and you can't get more player-friendly than him on the face of it!
Venables was probably our best exponent of making players feel PART of something, a group togetherness... regardless of your role or position within the club, we're all in it TOGETHER, as one!

Everywhere else you hear about players regarding their managers as 'Fazzer figures'... (Ancelotti and Wenger spring to mind) ...why can't WE have that?
I think AVB was definately a father figure for Bale last season

http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8610313.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/AVB-Bale-hug.jpg

Back
Top Bottom