Salary Cap - Level the playing Field

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really think bringing in a salary cap is a great idea as it will bring a lot more teams into consideration other than the big five.
It seems to me that the EPL as it currently stands, is won by money rather than player/manager expertise.

What you have now is completely unfair.
Look at the amount spent on weekly wages (from Capology.com).... Man U 3.8M Spurs 2.1M down to Luton 0.5M
How is this a level playing field?

Since the advent of the Premier League in 1992, the Big 5 have won every year except for the outliers of Blackburn (94-95) and Leicester (15-16). And guess what happened after they did?
Then the big 5 flexed their muscles and bought their top players and managers and both teams have been subsequently relegated.

So including the outliers, in the last 31 years the Premiership has only been won by 7 teams out of a total of 24 competing teams.

THE AUS Experience.

AFL and NRL both have salary caps.
I realise that that they both have Grand Finals rather than first past the post, so I've looked at the Minor Premier data only, since 1992.

AFL 12 different winners out of 18 teams

NRL 11 different winners out of 17 teams

If the EPL were to instigate a salary cap, the winning team would be based on player and manager abilities, rather than who has the deepest pockets.

I really think bringing in a salary cap is a great idea as it will bring a lot more teams into consideration other than the big five.
It seems to me that the EPL as it currently stands, is won by money rather than player/manager expertise.

Look at the amount spent on weekly wages (from Capology.com).... Man U 3.8M Spurs 2.1M down to Luton 0.5M

Since the advent of the Premier League in 1992, the Big 5 have won every year except for the outliers of Blackburn (94-95) and Leicester (15-16). And guess what happened after they did?
Then the big 5 flexed their muscles and bought their top players and managers and both teams have been subsequently relegated.

So including the outliers, in the last 31 years the Premiership has only been won by 7 teams out of a total of 24 competing teams.

THE AUS Experience.

I realise that that they both have Grand Finals rather than first past the post, so I've looked at the Minor Premier data only, since 1992.

If the EPL were to instigate a salary cap, the winning team would be based on player and manager abilities, rather than who has the deepest pockets.

The problem is, unless all the other big leagues also introduce a similar salary cap, all the best players would leave England for higher wages elsewhere.

THE AUS Experience.

It's crazy that in the land of the free, the most rampant capitalist nation on earth, the USA, that all of their major sports leagues have some sort of salary cap or a "luxury" tax in the case of the MLB to keep things on some sort of level playing field, spending needs to be constrained somehow or things get ugly in the end but without agreement from all the other Euro leagues it won't work.

Edit: all the Aussie leagues with salary caps have had some big issues with compliance and the most creative/devious have gained advantages, the Roosters in the NRL have been gaming it for awhile

It's crazy that in the land of the free, the most rampant capitalist nation on earth, the USA, that all of their major sports leagues have some sort of salary cap or a "luxury" tax in the case of the MLB to keep things on some sort of level playing field, spending needs to be constrained somehow or things get ugly in the end but without agreement from all the other Euro leagues it won't work.

Edit: all the Aussie leagues with salary caps have had some big issues with compliance and the most creative/devious have gained advantages, the Roosters in the NRL have been gaming it for awhile
Well, how do you get the EPL to be a competition between 24 teams rather than a competition between the big 5?

THE AUS Experience.

Yesterday you talked about Ange winning the league at Celtic.

Look how much he spent there compared to the 3rd and 4th placed teams. The gulf is insane.

It’s how European football works. It’s not just the premier league.

Well, how do you get the EPL to be a competition between 24 teams rather than a competition between the big 5?
You create a European super league and let the rich clubs do their own thing.

And also add 4 more teams for some reason!!
You could be right.
But it is going to downgrade the standing of the EPL

I like spending rules just not sure how it works with the Euro leagues competing against each other in all the ways they do, in comps, for players, for coaches, for sponsorship and broadcast money

Does it matter if players go to the other leagues abroad?
Wouldn't it be better to have an EPL where every team has a chance of winning rather than the same 5 every season?

Does it matter if players go to the other leagues abroad?
Wouldn't it be better to have an EPL where every team has a chance of winning rather than the same 5 every season?
Yeah that's a point but I don't think you want to get in between broadcast money and EPL club owners.

What's the driver for the EPL having the most eyeballs watching and money flowing to it? Is it the best players, history of the clubs and the competition or a more even playing field for the teams in the league

The problem is, unless all the other big leagues also introduce a similar salary cap, all the best players would leave England for higher wages elsewhere.
There would still be high paid players just less room for them at each club. Luton coukd have the same number as Man City, they’d be spread through the league and mixed with a range of players, youngsters to make up that salary total. Issue would be in European competition if the cap wasn’t enforced. Real Madrid with 11 superstars vs Everton with 3

There would still be high paid players just less room for them at each club. Luton coukd have the same number as Man City, they’d be spread through the league and mixed with a range of players, youngsters to make up that salary total. Issue would be in European competition if the cap wasn’t enforced. Real Madrid with 11 superstars vs Everton with 3
What is your dream?
Winning the EPL or CL?

I'd prefer to come out champion against 24 other teams than the knockout formula of the CL.

Last edited:
Not for me. Maybe I’m not getting this but we have spent years and over a billion pounds to get us up to a level to try compete at the highest level to then be on a level playing field with Burnley🤷‍♂️

Soccer, sorry - Football is your national sport.
With the EPL, Championship, L1, L2 and NL, England probably has more leagues than any other nation.
So why not nurture them?

Piss off all the foreign players, bring in a salary cap and allow say 2-4 foreign marque players for each EPL team, who would be outside the salary cap.
They would then be able to viably compete in the CL.
As they say, a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

This would generate a massive increase to the fan base of lower teams also.

It is all about promoting your own homegrown players and presenting an exciting league apart from the current top 5.

Who knows, your National team might break their 57 year drought and win some silverware.🤣🤣

Not for me. Maybe I’m not getting this but we have spent years and over a billion pounds to get us up to a level to try compete at the highest level to then be on a level playing field with Burnley🤷‍♂️

Agree

and it would be impossible because of:

I think the issue is always around ownership investment levels vs income.

We do need rich owners coming in and investing their own money but it needs to be within a range and also, IMO there should be a minimum level of ownership investment to prevent things like the UTD owners just taking money out or ENIC just using the club and fans to expand their own portfolio.

BUT,
Where does the income come from? The fan base.
If enough people jacked up, they'd have no choice than to change their model.

BUT,
Where does the income come from? The fan base.
If enough people jacked up, they'd have no choice than to change their model.
No it doesn’t.

The sale of television broadcasting rights is the largest revenue stream for the EPL.

If the top players go then the TV money will soon follow them.

It will at last prevent stockpiling. BUT and its a massive wobbly one. Governance has to be real, because we are finding out that City and Chavs, we masters at under the table payments. Bunging agents and even players father's. Its why we must see real punishment for those two clubs.

Back
Top Bottom