Safe Standing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"What about short fans standing on their seat"

Gallas_2797718.jpg

Let's be honest here, the seats are shit and are gonna be shit anyway.

If footy seats were in anywhere else in society you'd rather stand up if you could. Trains and buses are like fucking luxury armchairs compared to the flimsy bit of plastic you get that is less supportive than a 2 year old's bucket and spade.

I say cram us all into a standing area and then spend the extra dosh on giving the families and the elderly a bit of room and a padded pew... nothing too fancy, just something that enhances the experience for all.

The beauty of having standing areas is that I'd be able to move from cunts that annoy me, a lot of flashpoints in the stadium stem from not being able to move from people that irritate you.

Yes, and that's exactly what I have said above, save that, in my view, the standing area should still have seats to avoid both overcrowding or surging. It keeps the Hillsborough pressure groups happy, but it will allow a section of the stadium to stand up if they want without being bollocked.

Ahhh, I get you now. These seats are more just so that everyone has a designated seat, but they shouldn't be sitting on them. Confusion over. :avblol:

I remember the days of the terraces at WHL. Being short I always wanted a seat, and this was much easier to get before the ground became all seater.

Just been watching the footballers football show on Sky, and getting so pissed off with people giving their views on standing without looking at any of the facts. Its doing my head in, everywhere you look there's people saying "Well all I care about is safety", to which someone who's done some research will reply "Well given the situation now with people standing up in seating areas, the evidence is that the new system will actually be safer". "Well I wouldn't know anything about that, all i can say is that we should definitely keep it all seater for safety reasons." FOR FUCKS SAKE.

We'll never get a proper debate.

Standing would still be in a seated area. Railseats are actual seats...they just have a high rail on the back so the standee behind you don't fall on your head and they sit more flush with the wall.

Klagenfurt%20man%20sitting2.jpg
Homepageimage.gif

i'm not one for conspiracy theories but how come MPs are allowed to stand for parliament, no questions asked? my MP does it time and time again, even though she's got a safe seat!

politicians are such hypocrites...

Just been watching the footballers football show on Sky, and getting so pissed off with people giving their views on standing without looking at any of the facts. Its doing my head in, everywhere you look there's people saying "Well all I care about is safety", to which someone who's done some research will reply "Well given the situation now with people standing up in seating areas, the evidence is that the new system will actually be safer". "Well I wouldn't know anything about that, all i can say is that we should definitely keep it all seater for safety reasons." FOR FUCKS SAKE.

We'll never get a proper debate.
I suspect that you will have to wait for Hillsborough to fade into history before that changes.

The game is a shadow of the sport i grew up loving in the 70s and 80s. Sure it had it's problems back then, but with modern CCTV sytems problems inside grounds are all but a thing of the past.
The authorities need to wise up, policing and stewarding should be at a level appropriate to the event, a football match not a riot. New technology excists that allows safe standing, you only have to look at the Bundesliga to see that. The situation can be resolved with proven technology.

It's the Hillsborough event that hinders progress on this matter, something that is very close to me as well. I stood on that leppings lane terrace back in 81 for the FA cup semi final where 38 spurs fans suffered crushing injuries. I did not know untill years later that Hillsborough did not have a safety certificate in 81 but even more shocking it did not hold a safety certificate in 89 when the disaster occured! That end had safety issues going back to the 1950's and no one thought to address them. The football league allowed fans to stand in an end with proven design flaws, the FA allowed their semi finals to be played in a ground not only with a history of problems with the leppings lane terrace, but they allowed the match to go ahead without a valid safety certificate.

In the mass cover up after the disaster, instead of looking at the real issues they just blamed the fans and terraces in general. And all football fans have had to pay the price of this cover up ever since.

Last edited:
Pictures to give 'elf and safety nightmares, but no fans were injured at these games.
The old Den 1957

Stamford Bridge 1947 a younglad gets carried over heads in order to get a safe view from the front.

West Ham v Hereford United FA cup 1972, captions please!!

Pictures to give 'elf and safety nightmares, but no fans were injured at these games.
The old Den 1957

Stamford Bridge 1947 a younglad gets carried over heads in order to get a safe view from the front.

West Ham v Hereford United FA cup 1972, captions please!!

for the bottom one:

"I can see your Mum from here"

Back
Top Bottom