Safe Standing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the mean time, couldnt we just petition the club to let us to have the drum back.

Would actually help no end. We could promise not to chant Yids to any drum related riddimz.

Isn't there already a petition like that on the go?

If at all I think we should petition the club to back the safe standing campaign. Villa and Sunderland seem to be quite supportive of it.

Why aren't Tottenham already backing it? :klinsmann:

Cripps14 said:
Isn't there already a petition like that on the go?

If at all I think we should petition the club to back the safe standing campaign. Villa and Sunderland seem to be quite supportive of it.

Why aren't Tottenham already backing it? :klinsmann:

Good question. In addition to Villa and Sunderland, mentioned above, who have expressed public interest in safe standing at rail seats, another 8 EPL clubs have shown interest privately. However, I've not yet been able to arrange a meeting with your execs to show them precisely what rail seats are all about. Anyone on here able to help set up such a meeting?

By the way, you'll find lots more info here: http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/

Can you PM me your contact details. We might be able to help. I've got a few ideas. Cheer mate.

Rail seats / safe standing, in the single tier at the new stadium... would be epic!

Move all the 1882 and like-minded fans in to there. Advisory on match-day tickets for this section, "*fans are advised that this stand is for supporters who wish to stand and sing."

MKYid said:
Rail seats / safe standing, in the single tier at the new stadium... would be epic!

Move all the 1882 and like-minded fans in to there. Advisory on match-day tickets for this section, "*fans are advised that this stand is for supporters who wish to stand and sing."

And wave flags and just generally go absolutely mental for 90 minutes. :gazza2:

I'm not sure what in that article confirms why you are against it. There is very little from either perspective that is new and I personally would be keen for a re-introduction but am also sympathetic to those who suffered loss at Hillsborough. The significant argument would be the increase in stadium safety but I always argued that incidents were so minimal that it is significantly unlikely that it would ever happen again.

And yet the Premier League remains firmly against it and so do I.

Primarily because I doubt that safe standing areas would really end the problem of fans refusing to sit down and spoiling the enjoyment of matches for others.

I don't see how?

If everyone that wants to stand is in the same area and those that don't aren't then with a bit of planning that would never be the case!

I agree with Sammyspurs, that writer completely contradicts himself. Even without the basic point that no-one is asking for a "return to terracing", which he uses as his headline....

He writes:

It is difficult not to agree that, in pure safety terms, modern technology would appear to allow a return to standing areas

and

The FSF rightly point out that the Hillsborough Independent Panel laid a number of reasons for the disaster in which 96 Liverpool supporters were killed and standing was not one of them.

And then finishes with a quote from someone who lost a child at Hillsborough to make his point that there should be no standing at football. He's looking at emotions rather than facts and making a poor argument as a result imo.

I back safe standing and wrote to my MP this week about it. Would love to see a sensible debate unfold.

The problem in the UK with this debate is that it always leads back to Hillsborough. Now I'm not saying it was a tragic accident, but modern safe standing sections are not like the old school terraces that led to the disaster at Hillsborough.

When it comes to a discussion about safe standing, I feel people should look at the safe standing sections across Europe and see what accidents have happened there in the last 10 years since these new style safe standing sections have been implemented when they want to judge the safety and security of these sections.

Are the Hillsborough families now saying that it was standing that was the problem? I thought it was the Police's fault, and inadequate crowd control....

As harsh as it may sound, I dont see why they have more of a say than anyone else. What has it got to do with them if I want to stand, in a modern, safe environment.

Should we sit down at concerts or crawl on our hands and knees across Oxford St while Christmas shopping? Sit down on the Tube platforms perhaps, because of Hillsborough?

It was tragic, but as has just been proved, after 20 odd years of campaigning by the families, it was not an accident.

So why is standing dangerous?

Should we sit down at concerts or crawl on our hands and knees across Oxford St while Christmas shopping? Sit down on the Tube platforms perhaps, because of Hillsborough?

I've been to about 40 games in the last two football seasons and have been 'crushed' once - that was standing on a terrace, BUT, over the last two years I've also been 'crushed' on a tube, at the Hyde Park 2012 music events and at a comedy show, yet you're still allowed to stand at those?

Safe standing needs to be trialled at the very least! I really want to make that banner for the 1882 game.

Also he starts off with the fact that the truth about Hillsborough has emerged. The truth was that it was not because they were standing. Really don't get this guys arguments in the article. How does that get published? Some of my dumps are more coherent than that.

The only "dangerous" time in an all seater stadium can be when celebrating a goal, yet we are still allowed to jump up and down (for now).

_52218302_man_city_fans_poznan_pa.jpg

3548a7211d4f585a9aacab8ef308002b.gif

Man City sold these t-shirts in the club shop. I didnt see a campaign to stop the club encouraging fans to:

Stand.
Face backwards.
Put the two people next to in a headlock to form a human chain the length of the stand.
Jump up and down furiously.

Back
Top Bottom