Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At least with Mason there is a chance we might adjust the tactics.
Flexible tactics are no guarantee of success. Conte is hidebound to his system come hell or high water, and has trophies spilling out of his closet.

The second Nagelsmann runs into the tiniest patch of poor form this board will be shouting from the heavens that the players have no stability in their understanding of the tactics and he needs to just stick with something.

Flexible tactics are no guarantee of success. Conte is hidebound to his system come hell or high water, and has trophies spilling out of his closet.

The second Nagelsmann runs into the tiniest patch of poor form this board will be shouting from the heavens that the players have no stability in their understanding of the tactics and he needs to just stick with something.
Sadly true

What Mason is doing is making tactical tweaks within Conte's system, and dropping players whose confidence is shot, such as Dier.

He's smart enough to know that he can't fundamentally change formation this late in the season, but he can try to instil a more positive mindset and select players in positions & combinations that emphasise their strengths & provide some protection for their weaknesses.

The right-sided combo of Emerson & Porro is a great example of this, as was dropping Dier & moving Romero into a more central, roaming, position.

At Anfield last week he pushed Sonny up top, playing on the shoulder of the last man and this terrorised Liverpool. It also meant we didn't have to watch our attempts to play out break down because Sonny cannot hold up the ball with his back to goal 10 metres from his own box. Sonny is not & never will be Modric, able to play in tight areas. Give him space to run into and he can be devastating.

My point is that Mason has shown more tactical flexibility in 3 games than Conte showed in an entire season. I'm glad his bold decisions paid off today, even if we were far from perfect.

Done a complete 360 and think Mason is the guy. My reasons

1. He has first hand experience to compare the gulf in difference between the Poch era and the Mourinho/Conte era and whats going wrong. Can address those issues asap.

2. He can then make changes to get us back to that Poch level. Even recently commented on the state of the football since Poch.

3. Has shown that Dier and our defence is an absolute shiteshow and made instant changes by dropping him and stopping this back 3 bollocks

4. If the manager isnt Mason then the new manager that hasnt studied Spurs in depth for the past 6-7 years will straight away just revert back to the same gatekeeper players and Dier worms his way straight back into the starting line up. Another big money manager resolves absolutely nothing as he wont get the big name players and he’ll be forced to play the same shite thats been here for years whilst figuring out which bad bunch he can rely on week in week out. Mason already knows.

5. Already shown more flexibility and common sense. Moving Porro into right wing with emerson at rhe back. Playing rich and kane upfront. Not as dogmatic in his approach

6. Gunna need a complete rebuild and id want someone that understands the club in and out than another manager thats just gunna bring their staff team in try the same dogmatic bullshit football playing square pegs in round holes

Last edited:
Done a complete 360 and think Mason is the guy. My reasons

1. He has first hand experience to compare the gulf in difference between the Poch era and the Mourinho/Conte era and whats going wrong. Can address those issues asap.

2. He can then make changes to get us back to that Poch level. Even recently commented on the state of the football since Poch.

3. Has shown that Dier and our defence is an absolute shiteshow and made instant changes by dropping him and stopping this back 3 bollocks

4. If the manager isnt Mason then the new manager that hasnt studied Spurs in depth for the past 6-7 years will straight away just revert back to the same gatekeeper players and Dier worms his way straight back into the starting line up. Another big money manager resolves absolutely nothing as he wont get the big name players and he’ll be forced to play the same shite thats been here for years whilst figuring out which bad bunch he can rely on week in week out. Mason already knows.

5. Already shown more flexibility and common sense. Moving Porro into right wing with emerson at rhe back. Playing rich and kane upfront. Not as dogmatic in his approach

6. Gunna need a complete rebuild and id want someone that understands the club in and out than another manager thats just gunna bring their staff team in try the same dogmatic bullshit football playing square pegs in round holes
Technically, if you make a 360-degree turn you are back at the very same point where you were :cool:

Last edited:
Very likeable guy, bleeds Spurs through and through, has that passion and desire for the club that so many suck Pochettino off for and just gets it.

However. When the likes of Nagelsmann is free, you take him. Simple as that. If Mason wants to then stay on as youth coach perhaps or work closely with Nagelsmann so be it.

But fans are fickle. A string of bad results and Mason would get crucified. Whereas someone like Nagelsmann I feel would have a bit of leeway coming to a new country, his age and the squad in general.

I hope Mason can go and win us all of our remaining games tbh. He's showing to be a fine young coach and this will do him the world of good.

Very likeable guy, bleeds Spurs through and through, has that passion and desire for the club that so many suck Pochettino off for and just gets it.

However. When the likes of Nagelsmann is free, you take him. Simple as that. If Mason wants to then stay on as youth coach perhaps or work closely with Nagelsmann so be it.

But fans are fickle. A string of bad results and Mason would get crucified. Whereas someone like Nagelsmann I feel would have a bit of leeway coming to a new country, his age and the squad in general.

I hope Mason can go and win us all of our remaining games tbh. He's showing to be a fine young coach and this will do him the world of good.
Well said 👏

Doing a grand job so far. And press conferences I actually enjoy instead of listening to Conte prattle on about how he's doing us a favour.

The team are working for him and there is a unity there that has been missing.

What Mason is doing is making tactical tweaks within Conte's system, and dropping players whose confidence is shot, such as Dier.

He's smart enough to know that he can't fundamentally change formation this late in the season, but he can try to instil a more positive mindset and select players in positions & combinations that emphasise their strengths & provide some protection for their weaknesses.

The right-sided combo of Emerson & Porro is a great example of this, as was dropping Dier & moving Romero into a more central, roaming, position.

At Anfield last week he pushed Sonny up top, playing on the shoulder of the last man and this terrorised Liverpool. It also meant we didn't have to watch our attempts to play out break down because Sonny cannot hold up the ball with his back to goal 10 metres from his own box. Sonny is not & never will be Modric, able to play in tight areas. Give him space to run into and he can be devastating.

My point is that Mason has shown more tactical flexibility in 3 games than Conte showed in an entire season. I'm glad his bold decisions paid off today, even if we were far from perfect.
That's a good post.

I like the cut of his jib, he deserves a full time role - maybe he should aim for a job in the Championship and work his way up because he has a future IMO

He has really surprised me with this stint. I too have changed my opinion of him.

He has gone toe to toe with Kluntt, Ten Slags, and Hodgson and was able to change things up sufficiently pre match and at half time to have all of their number. The only slight was bringing on Lucas but nobody would have predicted what a dumb cunt that dumb cunt would be.

He already wound up Klopp whilst maintaining a lot of class and wummed the media saying Royal was out injured then started him.

I'd be very excited to see JN come in but if he acts as if he is doing us a favour I'd be happy for Ryan to have a season under a director of football to handle transfers entirely.

I like him. He is a sly dog that I under-estimated entirely and am happy to be proven wrong. He has made me look forward to watching Spurs again.

I love Mason. Who doesn’t? Great guy. Doing a lot right.

But imagine a great friend of yours was arranging a music festival. And he’s doing a lot right. Great bands. But for some bloody reason, he decides to book the band who wrote the original Macarena song right in the middle of the festival. Why them? They did one thing once, a long time ago. But nobody wants to hear from them anymore. And then—predictably—because they are completely past it and totally lost, they have diarrhea all over the stage. The rest of the festival is ruined, for something nobody wanted, which everyone knew was an absolutely terrible idea. Your friend is a great guy, but that festival mistake is pretty unforgivable.

Lucas Moura. Liverpool. Macarena diarrhea, all over the stage.

I wonder if we'll do the same thing against Villa, they play a different sort of game, much more focused on running the middle of the park as opposed to attacking with wide players on the flanks.
I am interested in seeing if Emery tries to predict this or not.

He is a crafty manager.

At least with Mason there is a chance we might adjust the tactics.

And play players to their strengths. But then again, any sane manager who wants to win games would rather than shoehorn players into a system that doesn’t suit them, play to their strengths or even completely changes them away from the players they actually are. I just hope it doesn’t take too long to get Conte’s tactics and mindset out of them.

Not giving him the job when Conte left felt peculiar at the time and looking back now it just looks downright stupid, especially if we go on to have a good end to the season. People will be asking the question and probably even insinuating that it should have happened earlier, probably even at the start of the year when it was obvious Conte was off.

And play players to their strengths. But then again, any sane manager who wants to win games would rather than shoehorn players into a system that doesn’t suit them, play to their strengths or even completely changes them away from the players they actually are. I just hope it doesn’t take too long to get Conte’s tactics and mindset out of them.

Not giving him the job when Conte left felt peculiar at the time and looking back now it just looks downright stupid, especially if we go on to have a good end to the season. People will be asking the question and probably even insinuating that it should have happened earlier, probably even at the start of the year when it was obvious Conte was off.
Not giving him final 10 games with say a more experienced person along side him was criminal. Which is the appropriate word as it was paratici who insisted on keeping stellini.

Back
Top Bottom