Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this might be the most sorry I’ve ever felt for a player.

Benta is sooo good. He’s a model pro, plays the game the right way and has an incredible attitude. Even some of our own had forgotten how good he was in his absence.

Whilst it might only be 3 months, emotionally this is going to be hard for him to deal with in the short term. The club really need to give all the support they can.

I genuinely can’t remember worse luck with injuries for us than we’ve had just now…..
One of our greatest had a similar poxy time back in the 60's. Dave Mackay had his leg broken and, in his return match for the reserves, had it broken again.

The very first match on his second return, my old man was there. He said you could hear a pin drop in the ground when Mackay flew into his first tackle, then the roof was nearly taken off when he got up unhurt.

I have a feeling we'll be doing that when Bents gets back next year.

And I reckon he'll be mustard.

It's a difficult one to argue against a red, given the law as written:

"LAW 12 - SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

It clearly was excessive force/brutality, not only that but he actually caused harm to the player so clearly he endangered the safety of him. There was no attempt to play the ball therefore it was deliberate and he lunged (in fact completely took him out) from the side. I can't understand how that isn't serious foul play therefore a red card, do you really feel it was ok?
I didn't say it was ok.

I think he had no intention of playing the ball and was extremely cynical but I can't say he was using excessive force. Those kind of fouls happen more or less every game and I've honestly never seen one given as a straight red.

Can anyone give me examples of a similar side on foul that was given as a red? I can't remember many.

Why cant we have nice things? I actually think as a Club we are cursed, I honestly do, it seems like nothing ever goes right for us, take the Champions league final for instance , first couple of minutes Penalty and game over!

One of the worst deliberate hacks I've seen and as another poster said, I've seen chopper and vinnie

And don’t forget Nobby

An amusing character and a WC hero certainly but totally ruthless when taking out opponents

Ask Eusebio!

I didn't say it was ok.

I think he had no intention of playing the ball and was extremely cynical but I can't say he was using excessive force. Those kind of fouls happen more or less every game and I've honestly never seen one given as a straight red.

Can anyone give me examples of a similar side on foul that was given as a red? I can't remember many.
Its because he didn't even try to play the ball, he just straight out took out the player, normally you see a lot of cynical fouls I agree , but its normally to the extent where they might pull a player back for a foul not slide in and take his legs out.

This makes no sense..... If it's no more than a yellow-worthy offense; why would the EPL seek to punish him further?

Makes total sense

By the letter of the law it's not a red but IMO players who injure another player deserve to be out for as long as that player in out for.

I didn't say it was ok.

It's not exclusively a matter of "excessive force".....

Clearly dangerous...... Scissor-job.
Way too late to be considered a genuine attempt to play the ball...

I didn't say it was ok.

Look what you’re saying isn’t popular and it was a snidey, cunty little challenge….but it also wasn’t a red.

If Benta gets up unhurt there isn’t even a discussion about it.

Cash is an utter rat of a player though.

Makes total sense

By the letter of the law it's not a red but IMO players who injure another player deserve to be out for as long as that player in out for.

Vengefully I might agree with that in principal; but in practical terms one rightfully should officiate the challenge; not the outcome.

Look what you’re saying isn’t popular and it was a snidey, cunty little challenge….but it also wasn’t a red.

If Benta gets up unhurt there isn’t even a discussion about it.

Cash is an utter rat of a player though.

I don't think that's the case at all.

Football is crazy when a player who clearly has no interest in getting the ball, in turn endangers a player and ends up tearing the ligaments in his ankle isn't a red.

But a defender clearing the ball, getting the ball but following through leads to a red and a 3 game suspension.

Vengefully I might agree with that in principal; but in practical terms one rightfully should officiate the challenge; not the outcome.

Nah I want them to actually introduce retrospective punishment, you never know if a player is hurt in the immediate aftermath of the challenge.

Makes total sense

IMHO by the letter of the law it’s dangerous play which is a sending off.

The ball is nowhere near, the tackle is side on and high on the leg.

It’s no surprise the tackle led to a nasty injury and as such it should be classed as dangerous play and red carded.

Back
Top Bottom