Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When will people accept that Europa League goals mean almost nothing? Unless they're in the quarters/semi/final I couldn't give a shit if Kane or Soldado score 10.

I could score the odd goal against a team in Moldova, it's not top quality opposition and so it's a poor measurement of ability.

No doubt I'll get the "So they don't count" shit throw at me again though.

When will people accept that Europa League goals mean almost nothing? Unless they're in the quarters/semi/final I couldn't give a shit if Kane or Soldado score 10.

I could score the odd goal against a team in Moldova, it's not top quality opposition and so it's a poor measurement of ability.

No doubt I'll get the "So they don't count" shit throw at me again though.

If that's the case, then....

PL this season:

Soldado - 9 games 1 goal 1 assist - 17 shots
Kane - 11 games 2 goals 1 assist - 22 shots
Ade - 10 games 2 goals 1 assist - 18 shots

Why aren't the anti-Soldado troup camping out in the Kane/Adebayor threads talking about how awful they are too, then?

If that's the case, then....

PL this season:

Soldado - 9 games 1 goal 1 assist - 17 shots
Kane - 11 games 2 goals 1 assist - 22 shots
Ade - 10 games 2 goals 1 assist - 18 shots

Why aren't the anti-Soldado troup camping out in the Kane/Adebayor threads talking about how awful they are too, then?

Soldado gets more chances than both and misses them
Kane isn't a striker
Expectation/hype
Everyone hates Ade anyway
Distance covered/closing down/enthusiasm
Home grown

I can't remember too many matches where Soldado has got MOTM. Kane has got a few already.

Irrelevant to scoring

Price tag
Irrelevant to scoring

Soldado gets more chances than both and misses them
defamation

Kane isn't a striker
Bollocks

Expectation/hype
Irrelevant to scoring

Everyone hates Ade anyway
Irrelevant to scoring

Distance covered/closing down/enthusiasm
Irrelevant to scoring

Home grown
Irrelevant to scoring

I can't remember too many matches where Soldado has got MOTM. Kane has got a few already.

In 'Irrelevant' Europe, by any chance?

Irrelevant to scoring

Irrelevant to scoring

defamation

Bollocks

Irrelevant to scoring

Irrelevant to scoring

Irrelevant to scoring

Irrelevant to scoring

In 'Irrelevant' Europe, by any chance?

You asked for the reasons why. I've given you the reasons why. Bad week or something? Not usually this pedantic and crusader-like. Last post anyway, petty and a waste of time.

You asked for the reasons why. I've given you the reasons why. Bad week or something? Not usually this pedantic and crusader-like. Last post anyway, petty and a waste of time.

No, literally the whole team, bar Lloris, were shit against Palace and people jump on the back of one of the only players we have in the team who tries his best every game. Yes, he's not in-form, but he doesn't moan about it, he picks himself up and either patiently sits on the bench, or gives 110% in the next game.

He's not keeping anyone else worth playing out of the squad. It's utter bullshit how much stick you're giving him.

I'm not knocking you getting on Lamela's back, or any other player, but you're blaming a player for things that are out of his control.

No, literally the whole team, bar Lloris, were shit against Palace and people jump on the back of one of the only players we have in the team who tries his best every game. Yes, he's not in-form, but he doesn't moan about it, he picks himself up and either patiently sits on the bench, or gives 110% in the next game.

He's not keeping anyone else worth playing out of the squad. It's utter bullshit how much stick you're giving him.

I'm not knocking you getting on Lamela's back, or any other player, but you're blaming a player for things that are out of his control.
Some of the opinions and comments are truly mind boggling.
And it seems to be a recurring theme in many threads.

So much so that I'm glad for the off topic forum right now.

Kudos for your persistance ;)

Some of the opinions and comments are truly mind boggling.
And it seems to be a recurring theme in many threads.

So much so that I'm glad for the off topic forum right now.

Kudos for your persistance ;)

Don't know why I bother, tbh. Achieves very little.

I think the Soldado tries his heart out every game is a bit of a fallacy.
Yes its true of more recent matches but he was called out by Carragher and Neville not that long ago for not working hard enough, not making enough runs and generally not offering enough to the team.

I think the Soldado tries his heart out every game is a bit of a fallacy.
Yes its true of more recent matches but he was called out by Carragher and Neville not that long ago for not working hard enough, not making enough runs and generally not offering enough to the team.

Lol. A striker called out by two defenders.

If you watch most games, he has to spend most of the match helping out in defence as the rest of the team are awful at it.

Pundits say what they think people will agree with half the time, and as a fan I am happy with his contribution, besides goal scoring obviously, especially considering those around him most games.

Best look up the word 'prolific' here.

Unless you're joking. "I think you're joking. I really, really hope you're joking."

I'm well aware of what prolific means. I find the importance of Kane's goals, though (barely) fewer in number, to be greater than the pens Soldado put away in a year almost every supporter would like to forget. They mean far more to both the club and supporters than anything Soldado has done.

Somehow you're claiming that Soldado is more successful than Kane based on getting a greater number of chances to put them away one on one with a keeper from 12 yards out and it's absolutely laughable. Kane has clearly shown more talent and drive since being involved. Soldado has been nothing short of an absolute bust. Scoring a few penalties under AVB won't ever change the fact that he really, really hasn't looked good under any manager.

You're just arguing numbers that don't tell the full story, like always.

The thing worrying me at the moment is how Soldado has stopped attacking the ball in the box. We've had 3-4 decent crosses fizzed across the six yard box the last couple weeks where Soldado is just standing there motionless. I assume thats a confidence thing but it is the exact opposite trait you are looking for in a striker.

Another point worth thinking about...how much of a regular run has he had under any of his 3 managers? Scores then gets dropped next game. It wouldn't work wonders for most strikers, let alone one who is already low on confidence. I'd like to see him given an extended run. Most strikers thrive on confidence & every time Bobby seems to be finding his shooting boots- he gets benched next game. Until he goes elsewhere he will have my backing. He is a team player who gives a shit. Unlike some of the others in the squad. Haters gonna hate, but I think he's shown enough ability not to be written off as "shite" etc.

So how many people actually believe Soldado deserves to be first choice over Kane?
How many people believe Soldado is the answer to our problems at striker?

Let's be real here... Soldado hasn't shown anything that would indicate he should be first choice, nor has he shown he's any kind of answer to anything.

There's a big difference between 'trying hard' and actually being successful.

You all can claim that those of us who are tired of seeing him squander chance after chance are just "haters," but you know what... he's not done a damn thing to prove us wrong. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, but he's just not been good enough. It's as simple as that.

Another point worth thinking about...how much of a regular run has he had under any of his 3 managers? Scores then gets dropped next game. It wouldn't work wonders for most strikers, let alone one who is already low on confidence. I'd like to see him given an extended run. Most strikers thrive on confidence & every time Bobby seems to be finding his shooting boots- he gets benched next game. Until he goes elsewhere he will have my backing. He is a team player who gives a shit. Unlike some of the others in the squad. Haters gonna hate, but I think he's shown enough ability not to be written off as "shite" etc.

He gets dropped because he's being carried and isn't a threat. How long can the manager afford to be charitable for? He gets game time constantly, whether Europa or League and it still doesn't help him.

So how many people actually believe Soldado deserves to be first choice over Kane?
How many people believe Soldado is the answer to our problems at striker?

Let's be real here... Soldado hasn't shown anything that would indicate he should be first choice, nor has he shown he's any kind of answer to anything.

There's a big difference between 'trying hard' and actually being successful.

You all can claim that those of us who are tired of seeing him squander chance after chance are just "haters," but you know what... he's not done a damn thing to prove us wrong. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, but he's just not been good enough. It's as simple as that.
I'd like to see them both playing in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 whatever. Neither Kane or Soldado are suited to playing as a lone striker. I've got more strikers in my fridge than Tottenham, to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom