Reasons to be cheerful one, two, three.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the whole I really agree with the thrust of Lee's article, particularly the importance of Poch, but I disagree with his view of the Chelsea game. I've no doubt this has rumbled on, and there're some pretty polarised views of that game as a pivotal point.

I agree it was pivotal, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as Lee does, as a coming of age - a sign that we can no longer be intimidated. My take is that it was pretty much the exact opposite.

It was a very good example of how easy it is to wind a team up and watch them turn to shit. Want Spurs to lose their composure? Have a few digs before the game, and push them around. Want Spurs to lose men to the next games? Lose their heads? Lose a 2 goal lead? Easy. Take a leaf out of Chelsea's book.

For me, that game was an appalling disgrace. I would have liked to see an imperious Spurs team rising above the disgusting tactics of the Chelsea players, keeping their cool, letting their football do the talking, and - above all - winning that game. THAT would have been a real statement of our new found steel. Dembele letting down himself, his team, and the supporters (into this season - let's not forget); Dier completely losing his shit and leaping about the place like a drunk kung-fu grandad; Any number of other players kicking out and going into late tackles; failing to win from a 2-goal winning position; There was nothing good about that. [Alright - watching Fabregas hamming it up after Lamela's stamp on his hand was pretty good]

I remember giggling to myself about how Costa had duped stupid old Gabriel into getting a red card. Thinking about how you'd have to be a childish moron - a Gooner, basically - to lose your cool against such a goblin. Thinking about what a horrible, scummy player Costa was, to stoop to such depths, and how his team was full of sub-human scum like that. Thinking that you'd never see someone like the graceful, beautiful, powerful Mousa Dembele do that.

Watching Spurs - my beautiful team do the same, fall into the same trap (but for the astounding grace of Clattenburg), stoop so low, to collapse into indiscipline, was crushing. Embarrassing. Awful.

I want Spurs to be monsters. Beasts. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until they have won. I want opposition players to bounce off them, not get under their skin. But that takes discipline, self-belief, and focus. And that was nowhere to be found at Stamford Bridge.

On the whole I really agree with the thrust of Lee's article, particularly the importance of Poch, but I disagree with his view of the Chelsea game. I've no doubt this has rumbled on, and there're some pretty polarised views of that game as a pivotal point.

I agree it was pivotal, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as Lee does, as a coming of age - a sign that we can no longer be intimidated. My take is that it was pretty much the exact opposite.

It was a very good example of how easy it is to wind a team up and watch them turn to shit. Want Spurs to lose their composure? Have a few digs before the game, and push them around. Want Spurs to lose men to the next games? Lose their heads? Lose a 2 goal lead? Easy. Take a leaf out of Chelsea's book.

For me, that game was an appalling disgrace. I would have liked to see an imperious Spurs team rising above the disgusting tactics of the Chelsea players, keeping their cool, letting their football do the talking, and - above all - winning that game. THAT would have been a real statement of our new found steel. Dembele letting down himself, his team, and the supporters (into this season - let's not forget); Dier completely losing his shit and leaping about the place like a drunk kung-fu grandad; Any number of other players kicking out and going into late tackles; failing to win from a 2-goal winning position; There was nothing good about that. [Alright - watching Fabregas hamming it up after Lamela's stamp on his hand was pretty good]

I remember giggling to myself about how Costa had duped stupid old Gabriel into getting a red card. Thinking about how you'd have to be a childish moron - a Gooner, basically - to lose your cool against such a goblin. Thinking about what a horrible, scummy player Costa was, to stoop to such depths, and how his team was full of sub-human scum like that. Thinking that you'd never see someone like the graceful, beautiful, powerful Mousa Dembele do that.

Watching Spurs - my beautiful team do the same, fall into the same trap (but for the astounding grace of Clattenburg), stoop so low, to collapse into indiscipline, was crushing. Embarrassing. Awful.

I want Spurs to be monsters. Beasts. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until they have won. I want opposition players to bounce off them, not get under their skin. But that takes discipline, self-belief, and focus. And that was nowhere to be found at Stamford Bridge.
If give 20 likes if I could.

Nail. On. The. Head.

I want to print this and hang it on my fucking wall. Absolutely perfect summary.

Suddenly it was better to act hard than be good at football.
You can bet poch would hate to see a repeat of it despite many fans wanting & loving it.

in hindsight I can't help but agree, would have been amazing to beat them finally at theirs and rise above their bullshit BUT I also knew even winning that game and/or against brom that we weren't going to win the title. We were scrapping just to keep it mathematically possible only and I think the players knew it was gone before the Chelsea game frankly. They lost their shit yeah, but at the time knowing we had no chance of the title I don't hold it against them at all.
To need just one result from saints and newcastle to finish above them cunts and not get it, thats what hurt last season-not that we had a scrap with chelsea.

Poch holds the record for number of red cards in Espanyol history - I think we can expect more games like the Chelsea match, not less.
Disagree. Doubt we will see a game like that very often.
Also just because he got himself sent off lots of times that doesn't mean he wants his players to do the same.
I think poch would want them to learn from the chelsea game & not do it again.

Last edited:
The worst thing about the match was we did not win. We have not won at the Bridge for years and this was a great opportunity to put that horrible record right. We were at full strength and they had problems.
Towards the end rather than pushing for a win the players seemed more intent on getting revenge physically rather than in goals.
A missed opportunity

but most of them players aren't thinking of our record there like we all would-they were fucked off cos the title was gone, plain and simple.
They'll learn from it though I am sure.

Back
Top Bottom