Real Madrid V TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thoughts on the game.

- Slow encounter. Both teams played it like a friendly, as expected. Would have been a good experience regardless. Alli to play against the likes of Kroos and Modric, even in a friendly environment is a good test. Kane up against a resolute defence consisting of Ramos and Varane would have been a real test too and he had a tough time.

- Delle Alli was outstanding. It's hard not to get excited about him. He isn't some slight kid from the lower leagues who impressed. He's a youngster, who has a real good build for Premier League football but he has a delicate touch, good range of passing and we KNOW he can score. I know the comparison isn't the best but he reminds me of a young Jenas, I just hope he breaks past that ceiling and surpasses his overall talent.

- We need a defensive midfielder. Even though we knew this already. Dier wasn't good enough. I am confident we'll get one but I think people will be disappointed it's not the likes of Bender and Kramer. Bentaleb and Dier would be good but lack defensively, unless both are going to be working ridiculously hard every game and track back. I think they'd both work well in a midfield three, perhaps with Dembele for now.

- I thought we looked fine defensively, until Vertonghen come on. I like Vertonghen but I honestly don't know what's wrong with him. His body positioning and movement for Bales goal was hilarious. Alderweireld looks good, comfortable on both feet and if his direct passing is consistent, he can be a threat with his passes outwide. Wimmer looked solid too, I saw him for Koln last season and I know he can be a rock in our defence, he plays a lot older then he is.

- Lack of pace. We looked better when Chadli come on but he's still not rapid. Eriksen was dreadful, again. It's a shame that Eriksen only ever looks good on the left because that means Chadli would have to miss out, unless we put Chadli on the right. A winger is needed or even a wide forward with pace to threaten. We saw how Walker caused their left side problems, just lack of final product.

- Overall, I enjoyed the game for what it was. A pre-season friendly. Nice to see Bale didn't celebrate. Berbatov and Carrick before him have. I look forward to the AC Milan game tonight, I hope to see an entirely different eleven and see the likes of Onomah, Trippier etc in the line up.

They've had the entire summer to prep for United. I know they haven't spent the entire time working on a game plan for that one specific game, but you're seriously not giving the coaching staff any credit if you think that they didn't look at this run of friendlies and not work in time to train specifically for United.

You do tactics for that game a way out then have a couple of weeks of other games, I think you're giving the players too much credit to say that's the most effective way to prepare.

We've had all summer to get the players in we need but haven't so, the board get too much credit from anybody excusing that I n that case.

Yes I'm not saying they haven't done anything towards the game so, let's give them all the credit for plenty of prep and call it a total lack of time for contingencies and too much time and goings on inbetween then? Usually you work for your opposition before the next game, not with games and weeks inbetween (in football).

We are badly prepared for Saturday overall compared to how we could and should be in my opinion. It doesn't mean we won't get a result, it's certainly not going to help.

You do tactics for that game a way out then have a couple of weeks of other games, I think you're giving the players too much credit to say that's the most effective way to prepare.

We've had all summer to get the players in we need but haven't so, the board get too much credit from anybody excusing that I n that case.

Yes I'm not saying they haven't done anything towards the game so, let's give them all the credit for plenty of prep and call it a total lack of time for contingencies and too much time and goings on inbetween then? Usually you work for your opposition before the next game, not with games and weeks inbetween (in football).

We are badly prepared for Saturday overall compared to how we could and should be in my opinion. It doesn't mean we won't get a result, it's certainly not going to help.
Or we're trying to get the right player in as opposed to panicking because some fans want a new central midfielder in? Who could we have realistically signed who'd have wanted to come to us and improved us? Especially in central midfield when most of the ones we've been linked with have either signed for bigger and better clubs or have absolutely no reason to leave their current club?

Strikers, sure we could have done better. But to say we are not prepared for Saturday due to a striker shortage couldnt be what you're on about considering Kane was ALWAYS going to start that game and we were always going to play with one up front.

The three behind him will ALSO be the same three that had played the majority of last season, so not really unprepared there. Depth wise is pretty similar, one of Lamela or Dembele are more than likely to be on the bench. Townsend (if fit) will probably be there too. Pritchard (also if fit) is likely to be there.

Defence we are stronger then we've been in years. Healthy competition for every position. Lloris could potentially be out injured, we have a competent Premier League goalkeeper as his replacement for a game or two until he's fit.

I think a lot of us are a bit frustrated with how we're 3 days away from the league starting and we've arguably got the same line up as last season, but that line up got us fifth. They now have a years experience with playing with eachother, we have a solid player in Alderweireld who will be coming in to hopefully butch up our defence. Alli brings us an exciting element in central midfield whilst Man Utd have a shocking back two and will have to integrate four new players in their line up, the pressure is on them. Will it bother me if we lose? I'll be sad for an hour or so after the game finishes before realising it's ONE game, the first game of the season and amazingly there are 37 games left and 24 days left of the transfer window to improve things.

It's Man Utd at Old Trafford not Watford at home.

Lets take some positives out the game....

Alli was great
Wimmer looks like he has the potential to be a good leader
Bales hair looked a lot better when he played for us
I watched it at work on the link someone put up here(thanks)

To be fair he's been awful defensively for a while.
He's been inconsistent to say the least. He has had great games and he's had games where he leaves you scratching his head. I imagine it's hard to come on at centre half at half time with the team changing but I think he needs to work pretty hard to be in my first eleven.

Loose against Real Madrid in a friendly match and all of a sudden, we're fucked for the coming season.
Would be a completely different story if we beat Real Madrid yesterday, wouldn't it...

Some of you on here are honestly embarrassing, most of which only comment when there is something to moan about because I don't see your name pop up on here any other time. :adethumbup:

The result , as far as I can see , to most doesn't matter . It's the timing of this tournament that is the issue.

To be fair he's been awful defensively for a while.
He is very good with the ball at his feet facing the opponents goal. Very calm and links well with whoever plays left back, centre mid and left AM. However, run at him and turn him towards his own goal and he is shit, the only thing he has going for him in this situation is guile, he knows how to foul and get away with it but it is very last ditched when it doesn't need to be. The attacker (whoever it is) has the upper hand every-time. Watching him stand off Bale unchallenged yesterday was shocking. As CB you have to make it hard for the attacker, he did the right thing to stand up and not dive in straight away as this gave time for Alderweirld to cover, he then should have got closer to Bale either to block a shot, challenge him or force him to knock the ball past him, he did non of this and invited a shot from a player he played with and knows what he is capable of. This is very basic defending.

The result , as far as I can see , to most doesn't matter . It's the timing of this tournament that is the issue.

Exactly, I'll hazard a guess that we are only appearing in this because they offered it to other teams and they turned round and said "2 games a couple of days before the season starts? Thanks but no thanks"

This. Had it been even a week earlier, most would have been intrigued & excited to see us in a mini tournament with Real, Bayern & AC. 3 days before the start of the league however, has left many of us worried about picking up injuries, going to OT with heavy legs, & wondering whether the club's efforts should have been concentrated on bringing in the players we need before the start of the season.

I do like how our pre season teams have been essentially my FIFA15 manager mode side: Onomah, Winks, Carroll, Alli, Coulthirst, Dier, Yedlin, Bentaleb, Pritchard etc.

I even have Vorm in goal since Lloris fucked off to Man Utd and won't come back
How are the young lads getting on mate? Was considering starting a new career the other day now they've added a few more of the youngsters. They progressing well?

Look at the end of the second gif...

It's such a good moment to take a risk for Dembele, just pass it to Lamela in one touch.
Funny, I thought exactly the same thing. Doesn't that just sum us up though. The opportunity to play a first time pass and really create a decent chance, wasted by either slow play, too many touches, or simply lack of vision and communication.

FFS

Back
Top Bottom