Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1. Very happy with fifth. And a cup final.
2. Would have preferred fourth and a cup.
3. We were brilliant in two matches.
4. We were good in another few.
5. We were average in loads.
6. We were utter fucking garbage in quite a lot.
7. Poch made many mistakes.
8. I don't want him sacked.
9. Danny Rose improved.
10. Eriksen didn't.

Roll on next season.
11. Kane pulled it out the hat

So 5th place finish (which means no qualifier necessary for the Europa), and a cup final.

Not a bad season - would have liked to have seen more consistent performances (good ones not bad, obviously) but I'll take it. Some stand out points include beating chavski and the gooners, and the emergence of a certain Harry Kane.

Would like Pochettino to be fully backed in the transfer window this summer, get the players he wants in, and see what happens next season.

COYS

Oh and also...Brendan Rogers! :adelol:

5th is better than 6th..difficult to argue with that. And unless we get top 4 next season we have stagnated or regressed. Even so, I still think style of play and performances is where we need to improve. The table has a life of its own and we might make giant leaps in the right direction next year and still end up in the same (or worse) position.

The West Brom, Newcastle and Stoke home defeats feel a little more painful now, seeing as we finished how we did... had we needed to win today to secure 4th/CL, I wonder if the nerves/Spursy Gods would've got the better of the team, and the result would've been different??

Its been hinted at.
Im just waiting for when people start saying its the wrong kind of 5th, the wrong cup final. That our best players papered over the cracks. That really, despite finishing 5th, we actually should have finished 10th.
That had the season gone on longer we'd have been mid table. Or That, this 5th doesnt count because we only have 64 points.
You missed the old classic 'where would we be if Kane hadn't scored 30 goals and Lloris went under a bus' argument.

That's my favourite. Compare any clubs' season with their two best players removed and its a different fuckin story!!

It actually manages to put a negative into having some excellent players by claiming we'd be worse without them.

Which is fucking obvious!!

You missed the old classic 'where would we be if Kane hadn't scored 30 goals and Lloris went under a bus' argument.

That's my favourite. Compare any clubs' season with their two best players removed and its a different fuckin story!!

It actually manages to put a negative into having some excellent players by claiming we'd be worse without them.

Its genuinely such a stupid argument i still haven't worked out how to combat it.

Although, you never see anyone say "If we didn't have our two worst players, we'd have finished higher"

Lets face it, if we swapped Ade and Soldado with Austin and Ings, we'd probably have finished 4th. It is what it is.

Yeah that argument is on the same level as my personal favorite---the "all those last minute winners show we suck" argument. We shouldn't count points from goals we score after the 85th minute. (However, I presume we should double count the points from goals we concede after the 85th minute.)

5th is progress, congratulations to Poch for that for sure, something to build on.

It's not ridiculous to think a few points from Newcastle, Palace, Villa, Stoke or WBA at home could've been realistic and therefore 4th wasn't impossible as some claim.

Poch must be backed in the transfer market, improve us a bit more, learn how to rotate or find a plan b and then there's every reason to be targeting 4th next year. No point aiming lower or the happy clappers pretending we're aiming lower to cover up for any howlers as the season progresses.It could be there for the taking.

No guarantee LVG gets it right, who knows what City will do with management and playing staff, Gooners will talk about the title and the pressure is on them from the off. Liverpool have Stevie G and Sterling going, Europa League to contend with and so might Southampton if the worst happens in the cup final.

Who are these people saying 4th is impossible?
It was fucking unlikely. Even 5th is technically, mathematically, over achieving. But not impossible.

However, saying "if we'd taken points from... we'd have finished..." is another redundant argument.
If we'd won more points we'd have finished higher. Well done. Similarly, if we'd lost more points we'd have finished lower.

We could have beaten the teams below us... but similarly, we could have lost to Chelsea and Woolwich. Thats not how football works. Certainly not in the premier league.

Yep, at the death we made progress. Well done to Poch, ENIC and the team :thumbup:

Delighted with today, both the result and the performance.

It doesn't make up for the stupidity of the January window, the Florence fiasco, our no show at Wembley, but it sure helped a lot to make 5th and above Pool.:coys:

5th place + Cup Final + Kane + Other youngsters + Battering of teams like Chelski 'n ArseAnal + Fewer mental collapses + Improved players like Danny Rose, etc + Poch's first season + Stadium advancements ...

= Overall progress, surely ... right?

... As long as Levy doesn't dilly-dally around and adequately backs-up Poch this summer, next season definitely should be something to look forward to.

:coys:

I think we have made a lot of progress in terms of our squad:

Last year we had a team of mercenaries who didn't really care about the club apart from a couple, like Dawson who we sold. We had 0 english players in the England world cup squad. We had gutless performances as standard and got rolled over against all the bigger sides.

Now we have a young squad with 5 home grown/english players starting every game, and more sitting on the sidelines. We also have the brightest prospect in English football at the moment, Harry Kane. On our day we actually have desire and we have a team we can get behind.

Even if Pochettino isn't the right guy to break into the top four, although I think he is, we have completely turned the squad around. We could potentially get around 50M for unwanted players this summer thanks to Pochettino being brave and working with the academy products. With about 4/5 intelligent signings and holding onto Hugo we can have a very strong squad to enjoy in next season.

Its not the most well written post ever, but the point is clear.

I will write a separate post at some point on my views about finishing 5th, but on the whole I am pleased with the season we have had - it could have got a lot worse.

Back
Top Bottom