Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmm lets see. I know who he thinks doesnt fit....Ade, Soldado, Capoue, Stambouli, Davies (unless forced), Fazio (unless forced), Vlad (unless forced), Kaboul, Dembele, Lennon and Holtby..

So I could probably deduct his favourites eh..

The main issue here is that his preferred players dont even suit his "system"...because we have abandoned it.

Out of those players, who do you actually think should be in and around the first team on a regular basis?

I reckon there are probably three there that I would be happy to see on the team sheet.

Also you have gone on about rotation being absolutely essential, pretty sure Chelsea have just won the league by picking near enough the same team week in and week out, their captain and oldest player has played every game this season.

I think the Eriksen bashing is a bit silly, yes he has been poor in recent weeks but he is always liable to do something special, he is a luxury player, no two ways about it, we have to put up with the fact he is adverse to a tackle and all that because he is the kind of player that will win you games.

Out of those players, who do you actually think should be in and around the first team on a regular basis?

I reckon there are probably three there that I would be happy to see on the team sheet.

Also you have gone on about rotation being absolutely essential, pretty sure Chelsea have just won the league by picking near enough the same team week in and week out, their captain and oldest player has played every game this season.

I think the Eriksen bashing is a bit silly, yes he has been poor in recent weeks but he is always liable to do something special, he is a luxury player, no two ways about it, we have to put up with the fact he is adverse to a tackle and all that because he is the kind of player that will win you games.
Not sure how a guy who runs more than anyone else on the team and puts up massive passing numbers is a luxury player. He's had no assists this year, but not from a lack of product on his part, he's been victim of everyone else wasting his passes.

He's not a physical monster, but he's not been a lightweight by any measure, and I can't think of anyone bar Lloris who's played more this year.

We have one of the top 5 WORST defences in the league. We've generally been flaky at the back but this is regression in a very key area.

Lots of back slapping about not folding to 5 or 6-0 against City is laughable, we have been done by 3 to Chelsea, Scousers and United and 4 to City earlier with two losses to them.
qANXezO.gif

Every time I bring this up someone says this. Its way too late to throw some of them in now, but the likes of Capoue, Stambouli, Kaboul, Lennon and Ade could have really helped the overall squad over the last 6 months.

Not even sure how anyone can deny this.

Courtois
Ivanovic
Cahill
Terry
Azpilucueta
Fabregas
Matic
Oscar
Willian
Hazard
Costa

Manager
Jose

I'll let you mull over that....why people keep comparing us with Chelsea Im not sure

He's been fairly poor since we beat Woolwich. People rate Poch for giving everyone a fair crack at the whip, yet the only time he dropped Eriksen was for the West Ham game (oddly around the time he was last in form).

We had played a massively effective front line of Lamela, Dembele, Eriksen and Kane against West Brom, Sheff Utd and Woolwich.

Poch dropped Eriksen for West Ham and gave Dembele the midfield but this time with both Lamela and Townsend. We were shit.

Guess who lost their place after that though?

Last edited:
Mmmm.... Greavsie is Tim better than Poch, not sure. Certainly you pointed out PPG and Tim's Villa experience looks impressive. Seems to me Tim is a great motivator, my corncern is he a temporary manager ? Whereas Poch gives me more hope over a longer term.
I think Tim was not doing our club brand many favours and Levy would not like that, whereas Poch gives us a more dignified position.
Poch still is not there yet, still has many things to learn and he also needs the squad finetuned to implement his and Levy's strategy.

As for progress - well yeah, but only in respect of identifying players to moved and those coming in. Our points down on where we need to be, but I would love to look at goals scored, ppg up until end Nov and then same since. I have the feeling our performances have improved throughout the year.
Fair comments as usual Shawry :thumbup:

However, Sherwood doesn't seem to be damaging the Villa brand, so maybe ENIC should look at themselves if that was a key reason for sacking Tim.

Poch may be more dignified, but he's much more boring than Sherwood, and of the two I think Sherwood is a better fit for the Prem.

We'll know much more in a year's time as both are relatively inexperienced at Prem level.

So you think we should get rid?
Generally i think the school of thought is, he's done well with the players he inherited, he could do even better if we let him get his own way.
We've had so many managers in the last 10 years. Don't you just want to give someone a fair chance? Redknapp had a fair chance and he got us into the champions league. If we keep jumping ship after 1 season, we're never going to have an identity, and we'll never have a manager able to to perform to his best. Its not like we're going to be getting Mourinho, Gaurdiola or anyone of that ilk, any time soon. So isn't it worth a shot giving someone a chance. If we go drastically backwards next season then we'll know he's not "the one" and we start again.

I don't honestly think we have improved since the end of last season.

When Redknapp took over we saw an instant improvement and kicked on from there.

However, Sherwood doesn't seem to be damaging the Villa brand, so maybe ENIC should look at themselves if that was a key reason for sacking Tim.

Poch may be more dignified, but he's much more boring than Sherwood, and of the two I think Sherwood is a better fit for the Prem.

We'll know much more in a year's time as both are relatively inexperienced at Prem level.
Well done Greaves good response, fair point about Tim not damaging the Villa brand. I respect that but I am confident that Tim's behaviour pre and post AVB effected a contract continuation.

As you say we will see in a year or so.

Respectfully disagree with you here. There is no reason why Eriksen can't get stuck in more. Any ball that is even slightly unsure, he bottles the tackle/header 99 times out of 100. There's little room for luxury players in modern day football, and Eriksen should be at least threatened with being dropped if he doesn't work harder in this way for the team. Let's face it, despite being talented he ain't Ginola, and even Ginola tried to tackle after the gooner was appointed manager. Bale tackled back and was a far better player than Eriksen, even Lennon despite his size gets stuck in. Saying we have to put up with it is like saying, "we have to put up with Harry Kane not coming back to defend his man at a corner because he scores lots of goals".

Eriksen is a good player but not nearly good enough to be let off basic duties. It costs us points, I'm sure I can remember times when his failure to tackle indirectly led us to concede, and imagine how many more goals we could score if he pressed properly (like he did against Woolwich, which led to our goal). But it also sends a message to the other players that he is "above" risking injury, which is not good for team spirit. IMO.

It's a yes or no question. Elaborate if you want, but answer it first.

Ive answered it extensively.

We are better off fitness wise, and some individuals have improved.
The most part is the same.
Some areas we have regressed.

You can try and shoebox the issue all you want.

Im happier now, but mainly because Id rather shoot myself in the face than look for another manager.

Time will tell for Poch ,and I hope he gets it. But he has a lot to learn

Last edited:
It's a yes or no question. Elaborate if you want, but answer it first.
Poch out - bring back Redknapp, and Sherwood - bestest Spurs managers ever - Never lost a game, never mistreated a player, never got their tactics wrong (primarily because they never had any to begin with but that's detail)

Every time I bring this up someone says this. Its way too late to throw some of them in now, but the likes of Capoue, Stambouli, Kaboul, Lennon and Ade could have really helped the overall squad over the last 6 months.

Not even sure how anyone can deny this.

Courtois
Ivanovic
Cahill
Terry
Azpilucueta
Fabregas
Matic
Oscar
Willian
Hazard
Costa

Manager
Jose

I'll let you mull over that....why people keep comparing us with Chelsea Im not sure

He's been fairly poor since we beat Woolwich. People rate Poch for giving everyone a fair crack at the whip, yet the only time he dropped Eriksen was for the West Ham game (oddly around the time he was last in form).

We had played a massively effective front line of Lamela, Dembele, Eriksen and Kane against West Brom, Sheff Utd and Woolwich.

Poch dropped Eriksen for West Ham and gave Dembele the midfield but this time with both Lamela and Townsend. We were shit.

Guess who lost their place after that though?

First off out of the players you mentioned there, I think only Stambouli and Lennon should even be considered for a place in the first team. Sometimes other factors are taken into consideration aside from a players ability. The likes of Capoue, Kaboul and Adebayor clearly have some kind of attitude problem, that negativity can have an impact on other members of the squad.

The Chelsea comparison is fair one when you consider that we are not comparing the players ability as that is irrelevant when it comes to rotation. If anything the fact that Chelsea have more strength in depth than us would suggest that they are more likely to rotate, however the best manager in the league realises that to achieve anything you have to pick your best team on a consistent basis.

I agree that Eriksen has been poor for a while now and I also agree that we looked at our best with Eriksen, Dembele and Lamela behind Kane. All I am saying is that Eriksen is always liable to win you a game or salvage a point. Aside from that who would you bring into the team to replace him...

The one thing I will say about Sherwood's tenure at Villa is that they were massively underachieving when he arrived there and all he has really done is bring them back up to the kind of level they should be at. As you say he is a great motivator and that is what he has done at Villa he has instilled some belief back in the likes of Benteke and if he is firing on all cylinders they are far too good to be involved in a relegation scrap.

I don't honestly think we have improved since the end of last season.

When Redknapp took over we saw an instant improvement and kicked on from there.

It's a lot harder to go from a side performing well to a side performing extremely well than it is to go from a team who is massively underachieving to a team that is playing how they should.

Redknapp would've done well not to have had an instant positive impact when he took over.

It's a lot harder to go from a side performing well to a side performing extremely well than it is to go from a team who is massively underachieving to a team that is playing how they should.

Redknapp would've done well not to have had an instant positive impact when he took over.
We're not performing well.

Yet he kept it going for three and a half seasons.

Poch hasnt taken us up a notch performance wise from AVB or Tim to be honest. He´s already had twice as long as Tim got.

Back
Top Bottom