Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Delighted with finishing 5th and above Liverpool too after they spent so much money this summer.

As ever, pick up all 3 points in some of those dodgy defeats and we'd be looking at 4th place. But it's useless to look at it like that.

Overall of give us a B for this season in terms of play. But it's a solid start from a new manager and I'm excited to see who the new scouts bring in this summer

The thing is I do not tell every other fan they are wrong.

I simply back my opinions strongly and dont tend to waver because a few people chase me around the forum with a hard on.

You cant handle that you are a sheep, who obeys a manager like a robot on the basis they have more experience. You are a yes man, with no respect for your own view.

"Oi, you....Im cutting your wages in half"
"Why"
"Cos I have more experience than you"
"Ok"

:memeokay:
As if forcefully touting your own opinions about a football team on the Internet without wavering is some kind of virtue that should be respected. Yes, you are very rude and close-minded when it comes to the opinions of others. Therefore you are obviously a very impressive and powerful man with no tolerance for weakness. A model of strength, conviction, and integrity.

What a vivid imagination you have, Internet Guy.

Has anyone yet mentioned we've achieved 5th with a Cup Final in Poch's first season?
Its been hinted at.
Im just waiting for when people start saying its the wrong kind of 5th, the wrong cup final. That our best players papered over the cracks. That really, despite finishing 5th, we actually should have finished 10th.
That had the season gone on longer we'd have been mid table. Or That, this 5th doesnt count because we only have 64 points.

I think our defence will be alot better if we adopt a Mourinho/Simone/Jardim style of game. Monaco doesn't have the best gk and slow defenders like Carvalho and Raggi yet they have the best defence in the league.
Yes, but we're Tottenham. We don't play that way. Regardless of anything else, even Levy doesn't like defensive football.

It's all about perception though, everyone has their own agenda, people will see what they want to see and agree with what they want to hear, people who only want to see negatives will find them and make them look worse, and if they can't find them will say that any positives that were there were only papering over the cracks...

All I know is that last season I wasn't feeling the connection with the club, plan B seemed to be to lose horribly to any close rival, fucking West Ham managed to beat us three times and we ended up with a demob happy manager who didn't give a fuck who he pissed off...And, for a brief second or two, I even harboured the thought that surely I could find something better to do than follow Spurs.

Now I'm feeling the connection again, sure this season hasn't been perfect, but fuck it, we put 5 past another rival for a change, went unbeaten against the Scum and twice managed to royally piss off a load of spammers. Okay the manger may be a bit boring in press conferences...but I'm looking forward to next season already, if that isn't progress I don't know what is.

Isn't this forum full to the brim of people having different opinions about stuff? Isn't that the point of its existence? Why does everyone feel the need to be fucking right all the time?

If you don't like what someone has to say, don't quote them every fucking post.
I don't know about any of the other stuff, but I think we can all agree that this is 100% off the mark. Go fuck yourself, buddy.
:pochsmirk:

4th 5th 6th.......6th?

Yep. On the up.

[In response to Tomo saying "I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season."]

Thats about what Im expecting in Pochs first season with a team that still needs to gel, and adapt to their third set of coaching and management in 12 months...in fact, I think that would be admirable.

Are people expecting 3rd or 4th this season? Really?

Mate. Just give up.

You're a fraud.

I fear for the managers ( Coach ) future. If he's not gone by June. He will be by October. I've seen this all before. It's Hoddle, it's Ramos, it's Gross. The players are not playing for him. Simple. One or two might be onside, but there is a dressing room of players who I'd bet are not and performances are showing this CLEARLY in my view. As players lost form the coaching team should have been using the full squad. But when half the squad are Internationals but have been dumped by the coach Your options are simply limited to having to keep on playing those who are letting you down.

No fear of being dropped creates the apathy in performances we are now seeing....these boys are not getting dropped no matter what they do & that is a nonsense.

How can Yedlin not be picked as he's inexperienced. He plays in the World Cup finals, the highest level of the game, yet somehow is not good enough to play at Stoke ? It is an utterly ridiculous situation to be in and to play Dier @ right back is insulting people.

I am no fan of Poch, not sure I ever have been really but I wanted him to work out. However, I beleive he's had enough time already to shape some basics, but anyone who can't get a defence sorted after 50 + games is clearly doing something badly wrong. Add in a midfield with limited creativity & no depth up front & your going to be handed your arse by Stoke & rightly question what this set of coaches are bringing to the party....

Giving a coaching team time is fine if you could see something working, but from 50 odd games...maybe 4 or so times the performane have been good / very good. The rest of the games have created more questions than answers & the positives are really, in reality, now just excuses when broken down.

Poch is no doubt a decent human being and for that I am sorry he's being made to look a fool by these players & of course the Board, but he's not helped himself by his selections and tactics either. I can't imagine he would not be doing anything less than his very best all the time, but it's not working and his best is proving to be worse than anyone expected & if he's not working now there is little reason to expect it to be working in Aug/Sep/Oct...especially given ENIC have already decided they won't spend on new players. The storm clouds are gathering.

And by work I don't mean I expect any higher than 6th.....I simply don't expect to be paying to watch a Spurs team that manage 6 shots on Target in 180 + minutes v Stoke in a whole season or fail to beat Palace at least once....struggle horribly away to Sheffield United, get dumped out of the FA Cup at home to Leicester etc etc etc....

The owners of the club should also do the decent thing & jog on along with Poch. They don't help themselves with their scape gloa approach & the end of Season statement better be a good one this May 24th as we have fuck all else to enjoy this summer, except Hugo in a United Top & Vorm being give the #1 and Brad the #13. It's pretty obvious our best player is going United, yet again we sell what should be kept !

Baldini got it wrong in appointing Poch. No doubt he's a good Coach, but he's at the wrong club. Baldini can't scout players, so why is he given a pass on appointing Poch ? We needed a coach who would get the best out of the expensive players we already had, Now 11 months on we have a coach who does not want the players we have, he wants new ones....what a fucking joke that actually is when the reality sinks in !

Benjimam Stambouli is living proof something frightening is going on in our scouting. If he was Poch's choice, which he must have been, what does that say about the black box and Mitchell ( yes he was not there but did he scout him for Southampton ???)

As a Spurs fan since I can remember & a 25 year Season ticket holder i don't expect to win the league, but I do want a 25 yard screamer from open play, I do want a flying winger, i do want to see a flick, a trick, an 80 yard pass.....a super star in white & something that makes me think, on days like this, that it's ok as we have X.....

For example, just been done at home to Villa...but fucking hell Waddle was amazing....shit game at Barnsley but wow Ginola was special again....did'nt make the Top 6, but Klinsman's goal v Southampton was amazing....etc etc....where as modem Spurs is "got absolutely raped by a limited Stoke and Ryan Mason is not anywhere near as good as Charlie Adam, but we did manage two shots on target in 93 minutes today...."

And that's what we have become under ENIC and it won't change while they are here. Till they have gone & someone who dares to dream comes in.......Danny Bkachflower was a romantic, he loved Spurs because we were a romantic team, where things.....most things....were possible...where's the romance in this current set up ? It seems to be excel spreadsheets coaching, profit margins, contracts and Spin in the board room and Donna Cullen....under the current regime this is not Tottenham Hotspur

Last edited:
You what mate?

Look, at the start of every season, we all hope we can win the league, but none of us say it. We want the champions league, because thats the next step up from where we are, but we doubt we'll get it. We'll accept the europa league, because that means we're keeping competitive.
The manager can't then come out and say "well as long as we finish in the top half we're happy"
No, the players would be fuming "is that all we're good for gaffer???"
He needs to say the right things. He needs to believe in the team. If the manager doesnt believe in the team then we need to pack up because its game over right there.

But Sammy is using that as a stick to beat him with ?? this is what i mean. No fucking rousing support. No "Our manager believes so i believe"
Just "this idiot says we'll get champions league? PAH!!"

We look like mugs to the rest of the world. And tbh I'm not particularly that bothered about other peoples perceptions of me, or us as a fan group. But i have to say, hearing fucking leicester fans, and west from fans, mugging US off! calling us deluded cunts! That fucking hurts me. But they're right, there are some fucking mongs in the fan base. And they make us look like dicks. Cant fucking tolerate the odd bad season, expect us to be challenging for the league every year, because "we're tottenham"
Fucking bollock. Next season will be 55 years since we won the fucking league.

Can't agree more that we won't be challenging for the league but I don't accept we shouldn't be aiming for top four given that we've been 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, then had a car crash rather than a re-build to come 6th and rebuilding yet again to come 6th-8th. We have a net spend of fuck all in 5yrs and, while money doesn't guarantee success, plenty of excuse makers then say that because of money we can only be 6th. We have had 3 managers in 2 seasons. AVB was a clown whereas Poch needs lots of time to make all the players gel and should get his own players because the magnificent 7 are shit, the same players that were only 3months at the club when AVB got the boot. Poch has a young squad; the best youngsters are those that Tim threw in. Before you start, I never wanted AVB and it was right he went, always going to happen. Sherwood, I don't hate him as much as some do, he said things as it was sometimes and at least he cared. People even blamed him for the tear up with that twat at Benfica when he'd behaved like a prick to Sherwood right in his face. Maybe some guts and grit might've translated to players eventually, something we've been short of almost forever. Who knows, don't think it would've worked out but again, being so inexperienced at that level wasn't his fault.

It's all bollocks if you ask me, a myriad of fuck ups but ultimately, I'm going to call it as I see it. Yes Poch needs time because we can't keep changing managers forever but, he may still be shit, just means this time we have to stick with a shit manager for longer to hopefully see improvement because we haven't tried anything else that's worked. In the meantime, I'm not going to pretend I've been entertained more than I have or, make excuses for what seem bizarre selections or substitutions. I'll blame players for being shit, Chiriches, but the shape they're set up in, the confusion they seem to display, the fatigue, the 4th worst defence in the league.....after 55 games and two transfer windows I'll ask questions about a very unproven manager. It's not enough time yet but it's not just a few weeks.

If you have our relatively recent track record and you're our manager spouting off about top 4, then it's not acceptable that it's all just flannel to keep a few players sweet.

1. Very happy with fifth. And a cup final.
2. Would have preferred fourth and a cup.
3. We were brilliant in two matches.
4. We were good in another few.
5. We were average in loads.
6. We were utter fucking garbage in quite a lot.
7. Poch made many mistakes.
8. I don't want him sacked.
9. Danny Rose improved.
10. Eriksen didn't.

Roll on next season.

Saw this on Reddit...

The number of points we got from each team:

Capture.png

For starters, we did play better in the bigger games:
Last season from Chavs, City, Woolwich, United, Pool, Saints, Everton, and I'll include Spam ... we got 15 points. This season from those games, we got 22 points.

And then there's ................... 0 points from Stoke this season. :angryscouser:

No points from Liverpool....still finished above them.

:eriksenlol:

Spurs are shit, I hate them and Mourinho is a fraud.

‘Oh no Joe you can’t say that’

Why not?

‘Because that simply isn’t true’

Yes, I know that, but when has that mattered?

‘Well I thought truth mattered’

It does, but not on here. On here it’s an abstract concept that can be determined by time. What was truth is truth no longer.

‘So can I lie with impunity’?

Oh absolutely, it just depends on who you know.

‘Gee, thanks Joe. You make it sound so easy.’

I’m here to help.

‘And can I form a loose alliance with people who I don’t actually like, because I feel a bit vulnerable when the nasty posters call me out’.

Of course, but you might find you’ll need a hug or a chin rub to keep your spirits up. There are lots of horrible people on the internet.

‘So Joe, is it worth lying to take the heat off?’‘

Yes it is. Nobody will really care what you said originally and you’ll become a Knight Prince of utter hypocrisy, and your username will echo round the shires - and I, for one, will worship thee.

Well today shows progress in that we lost by a one-goal margin instead of a four/five/six-goal margin. And that's ignoring the fact that 0-1 wasn't a fair result based on our performance today. We looked strong throughout the game, City just had better finishing.

We lost to both City and Liverpool early this season, and again in the last few months. But compare the two sets of results and you can't deny that there hasn't been progress since then.

Well if you compare the margin of defeat (0-3 & 1-4, as opposed to 2-3 and 0-1) then yes, 'progress' has been made... yet Chelsea 'only' beat Palace 1-0 today, after beating them 2-1 away (with the Palace goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute) ...by that reckoning, have Chelsea gone backwards???

Nah, I get what you're saying, but we also lost three times to West Ham last season, yet managed to beat them this season... I don't see our name being carved into any trophy for that achievement!
A defeat is a defeat... it's still 0 points, however they are lost!

Today wasn't really a bad Spurs-performance, but it wasn't particularly good either. Since the Woolwich-game we haven't been firing on all sylinders.

Had City got one of their penalty claims in the first half it could easily have become 0-3 or 0-4 in the end.

And this City-team is nowhere near their 1 half of the season form..

Penalty claims, Aguero dived.

Looking at our squad following the summer transfer window and then again in January - 6th place would have been a phenomenal achievement with a team consisting mostly of painfully mediocre players and lacking true quality bar 2-3 names.

I think Poch has done well with the tools available, as well as successfully integrated number of young player into the squad - Bentaleb and Kane coming to mind. Having said that - we can still finish above Liverpool and that would be a mighty achievement looking at context critically.

However, the true litmus test for me comes this transfer window - whether DL would be willing to provide the necessary tools or forever shut the fuck up about Top 4 ambitions since it's becoming rather laughable to even consider that occurrence with marquee signings in the Alli / Davies mould and net spend of 0.

Back
Top Bottom