Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Arrest and charge aren't conjoined components of the process.

Arrested (on suspicion of X) > Charge > Trial > Verdict.

Before charge you can be released(*) pending further investigation.

After charge you may be released on bail pending trial (providing you are not seen as a danger or 'flight' risk)
You're right, which is why I very subtly re-worded those sections, and made the point that he was released on bail, which means charges have been made.

You're right, which is why I very subtly re-worded those sections, and made the point that he was released on bail, which means charges have been made.

[Yeh, I'd not read the re-edit}

IIRC, Bissouma was on some form of dated bond (whilst under further investigation) that expired in March and then was extended to late May..... Yet he was never charged throughout.

(Which is why I'm not sure if pre-charge release isn't also specifically termed "bail".)

You can be released on police bail if there isn’t enough evidence to charge & I think there’s a holding time limit

It doesn’t mean that he can’t be brought in again , if evidence builds up

.........Of course there is also the good ol' fashioned.... "You'll just be helping us with our enquires, you greasy little scrote" a la The Sweeny.

:contepoint:

But it will be quickly noticed he is not there. For example, all top clubs have groups of fans outside their training grounds every day, autograph hunting. They'll soon know he's not there, or hasn't been.

Anyway, this is all speculation.
Woolwich don't... and if they do, they're all too busy taking selfies or uploading cuntent to their Twatty-Tok-Insta 'follow me like me' pages to notice who is coming or going from the training ground!

I'm pretty sure Lamela wasn't always injured every time he had lengthy spells away from the team. It happens.
How very DARE you!!

There’s no suggestion that he’s been charged with any crime. If he had been charged, they would have said. You can be arrested without being charged. And you can be bailed without having been charged.
You can, but with the requirement that you return at a later date to receive the charge.

Basically, if bailed you have been charged or about to be charged.

Maybe it's as simple as I don't understand the legal system in the UK, but I think people are inaccurately conflating the previous situation with Bissouma, and also charged vs convicted with a crime.

Please correct me as necessary on the differences between UK and US law, but this individual was arrested, which means that they believed sufficient evidence existed to bring charges. He was released on bail, which explicitly means that he was charged with a crime or multiple crimes, and both hearings and court dates have now been set regarding those charges. If charges aren't made then people aren't released on bail, they're just released.

Contrast with Bisssouma. He was brought in for questioning, but not charged. Strictly speaking, questioning is voluntary up until the point where someone is formally placed under arrest and charged with a crime, and then they are cited, processed, and assigned a court date to review those charges and whether sufficient cause exists to try those charges in a court of law.

This fucker was arrested and charged with multiple counts of rape. The legal system is now in motion which will adjudicate on whether he's guilty of the crime(s), but he has been charged.
There are different standards of proof for arresting someone and charging someone. You only need reasonable grounds to suspect an imprisonable offence to lawfully arrest. You need a realistic prospect of conviction to charge. The standard for conviction is beyond reasonable doubt - but the UK courts now translate this as "are you sure the defendant is guilty?"
In legal terms, reasonable = objectively reasonable.
Police often arrest someone, then bail pending further inquiries and charge, caution or NFA at a later date. It's extremely rare in UK that someone would be prosecuted for rape without first being arrested for the same offence.
Hope this helps rather than hinders

There's two types of bail in the UK. Police bail and Court bail. Police bail a suspect pending further investigation / inquiries. The court remand someone on bail until the next court hearing date.
When police bail someone they have not yet laid charges at Court (they need to investigate further before referring the file to the CPS for a decision on what - if any - charges should be laid)

You can, but with the requirement that you return at a later date to receive the charge.

Basically, if bailed you have been charged or about to be charged.
No so. You can be arrested and questioned on suspicion of having committed a crime. You then can be bailed while further enquiries are carried out. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll be charged. It's standard procedure.

No so. You can be arrested and questioned on suspicion of having committed a crime. You then can be bailed while further enquiries are carried out. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll be charged. It's standard procedure.
Yes, I was basically trying to point out that if released on bail,it doesn't mean you are in the clear, which is what many woolwich fans seem to think.

Back
Top Bottom