Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Benjamin Mendy was charged with rape in August 2021. Manchester City suspended him pending a trial. He was charged with two further counts of rape in November. In December he was charged with a further count of rape allegedly perpetrated against a new complainant. In June, this year he was charged with an additional rape brought forward by a new complainant. He's still awaiting trial, and as far as I know, he's still suspended by Man City.
Charged is very different from an allegation

I know that. I was alluding to the amount of time these cases can drag on for before going to trail. I'd be very surprised if the current player who lives in Barnet is not charged. He's been arrested on three different allegations of rape.
Yes, he could well be charged if there is enough evidence. And that would presumably be when he’d be suspended. I thought you were saying that he should already be suspended

You think it was someone that was prone to injury to mask the absence.

Rio got banned for forgetting a test, so how this one was covered up is beyond me.

Did he forget or did he just refuse because he had an STI?

Allegedly

Someone with that anagram posted a story today on Instagram. Hmmmmmm

EDIT: referred to a friendly game which they’re not even featuring in. Hmmmmmmm

An insta post hasn't necessarily been posted by the owner of said account.....

I don’t know where I sit with this , I mean he hasn’t been charged & could still be found innocent but it feels uncomfortable

I get why, but still; consider it as the man's job.... You can't deprive him of his ability to work when he hasn't been charged with whatever the crime in question is.

Even after a charge; fucking with a man's job before an actual trial is dubious.

Oh
I get why, but still; consider it as the man's job.... You can't deprive him of his ability to work when he hasn't been charged with whatever the crime in question is.

Even after a charge; fucking with a man's job before an actual trial is dubious.
I agree , I’m not sure why people are saying he shouldn’t have played if they knew or why the article was published

Innocent until proven guilty

No it wa because he just done a gram or two of coke at the weekend.

Allegedly

I was on the shelf for one of Rio’s first games back after his 8 month ban and we were all chanting stuff like
“Pissed in a bottle
You should have pissed in a bottle “
Etc

He kept glancing up and didn’t like it as the rumour then was that he had the clap but we’ll never know

I don’t know where I sit with this , I mean he hasn’t been charged & could still be found innocent but it feels uncomfortable
Maybe it's as simple as I don't understand the legal system in the UK, but I think people are inaccurately conflating the previous situation with Bissouma, and also charged vs convicted with a crime.

Please correct me as necessary on the differences between UK and US law, but this individual was arrested, which means that they believed sufficient evidence existed to bring charges. He was released on bail, which explicitly means that he was charged with a crime or multiple crimes, and both hearings and court dates have now been set regarding those charges. If charges aren't made then people aren't released on bail, they're just released.

Contrast with Bisssouma. He was brought in for questioning, but not charged. Strictly speaking, questioning is voluntary up until the point where someone is formally placed under arrest and charged with a crime, and then they are cited, processed, and assigned a court date to review those charges and whether sufficient cause exists to try those charges in a court of law.

This fucker was arrested and charged with multiple counts of rape. The legal system is now in motion which will adjudicate on whether he's guilty of the crime(s), but he has been charged.

Last edited:
Maybe it's as simple as I don't understand the legal system in the UK, but I think people are inaccurately conflating the previous situation with Bissouma, and also charged vs convicted with a crime.

Please correct me as necessary on the differences between UK and US law, but this individual was arrested, which means that they believed sufficient evidence existed to bring charges. He was released on bail, which explicitly means that he was charged with a crime or multiple crimes, and both hearings and court dates have now been set regarding those charges.

Contrast with Bisssouma. He was brought in for questioning, but not charged. Strictly speaking, questioning is voluntary up until the point where someone is formally placed under arrest and charged with a crime, and then they are cited, processed, and assigned a court date to review those charges and whether sufficient cause exists to try those charges in a court of law.

This fucker was arrested and charged with multiple counts of rape. The legal system is now in motion which will adjudicate on whether he's guilty of the crime(s), but he has been charged.
in the US, an arrest is considered enough for it to be in the public realm. in the UK they don't. that's my basic understanding of it

Please correct me as necessary on the differences between UK and US law, but this individual was arrested, which means that sufficient evidence existed to bring charges. He was released on bail, but that doesn't change the fact that hearings and court dates have now been set regarding those charges.

This fucker was arrested and charged with multiple counts of rape. The legal system is now in motion which will adjudicate on whether he's guilty of the crime(s), but he has been charged. Otherwise he would not have been placed under arrest.

Arrest and charge aren't conjoined components of the process.

Arrested (on suspicion of X) > Charge > Trial > Verdict.

Before charge you can be released(*) pending further investigation.

After charge you may be released on bail pending trial (providing you are not seen as a danger or 'flight' risk)

Back
Top Bottom