Pre-world cup jitters?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ShutUpPatrik

Supporter
Not sure if toxic positivity, or positively toxic?
Putting this under the player flair since it is a general player discussion.

We have the world cup closing in now with roughly 2 months to go. And some of our players at the very least seem to be playing at half speed right now. Kane and Son in particular don't look their normal selves (and this in spite of Kane scoring a few goals).

What are the odds that some of our players are playing it "safe" in order to avoid injuries and potentially missing the world cup?

Putting this under the player flair since it is a general player discussion.

We have the world cup closing in now with roughly 2 months to go. And some of our players at the very least seem to be playing at half speed right now. Kane and Son in particular don't look their normal selves (and this in spite of Kane scoring a few goals).

What are the odds that some of our players are playing it "safe" in order to avoid injuries and potentially missing the world cup?
Been thinking this. Honestly, every game takes a back seat to the World Cup. For Kane, Son, and Hugo, this could be there last World Cup as guaranteed starters. They are not going to risk getting injured over a league game or a group stage CL game as selfish as it might sound.

Been thinking this. Honestly, every game takes a back seat to the World Cup. For Kane, Son, and Hugo, this could be there last World Cup as guaranteed starters. They are not going to risk getting injured over a league game or a group stage CL game as selfish as it might sound.
You could see it (or maybe I am just seeing what I want to see) last night with Kane pulling out of challenges that he normally would not.

In my mind I don't get why we won't start Dejan more then, Dejan has no world cup this winter so he has nothign to lose.

The majority of teams have started the season poorly, only Arse and Brighton seemed to have found an early rhythm. Even Man City haven't hit top gear yet, Liverpool and Chelsea have been garbage compared to what they are normally like, Man Utd have started winning but are not playing well. Dont know if it's the world cup but we are not the only ones who haven't quite clicked into gear yet.

You could see it (or maybe I am just seeing what I want to see) last night with Kane pulling out of challenges that he normally would not.

In my mind I don't get why we won't start Dejan more then, Dejan has no world cup this winter so he has nothign to lose.

neither has emerson :contelol:

I've noticed both Kane and Son shying away from physical contact and not playing with any sort of intensity or urgency like they did in the back half of last season

I just watched an interview with a few former players (think Rio and Owen?) saying that the WC will definitely be on the back of players' minds, subconscious or not. And that almost everything players are doing now are in prep for November.

Actually, now that I think about it, even Romero doesn't look like himself. He's not same player he was last year. Lazy challenges, almost shying away from getting too physical.

I doubt this. Premier League players are monitored and measured in every way. If they aren't giving 100% it would show. Besides, if as you and others say you can see them not giving their all, don't you think Conte and his coaching team wouldn't see it as well? Take Son, we can all see he's not the player he was for most of last season. There is no way Conte would be picking him (or any other player) if he thought it was because his mind was on the coming World Cup.

There may be some truth in this.. but I seriously doubt any players would have that on their minds in Mid September. But yeah by the end of October or start of November for example then it would be a lot more understandable unfortunately.

You see it in games before cup finals as well. I don't necessarily think it's intentional but probably subconscious.

I always played well below my ability just in case I got signed up by a professional football club, so I can relate completely.

Back
Top Bottom