Pre-Season in Aus

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So many foreign teams full of class, same with Dortmund despite the results) can't say the same about English clubs unfortunately or is it just because we don't see their fans the same way we see English fans?
I reckon they want to supplant RM and have first dibs on our champion players in the future! :nawty:

Best part about the post-game is the lads will be flying back home
Poch got to see some of the young lads close up, but it was a big waste of time really.
With 9 of the first 11 at home, plus some important first team squad members, if they had to do a tour to an important market it would have made more sense to go to New York and Chicago.

America always gets the new shiny things. Id be pissed if they took a better squad to north america to sell a few more shirts.

Adjusting for population our premier league viewership is higher without a free to air element and the suporters are more vocal. Its been great to have Spurs in melb despite the inexperienced squad. It will probably be a long time untik they're back.

America always gets the new shiny things. Id be pissed if they took a better squad to north america to sell a few more shirts.

Adjusting for population our premier league viewership is higher without a free to air element and the suporters are more vocal. Its been great to have Spurs in melb despite the inexperienced squad. It will probably be a long time untik they're back.
The fans there were definitely vocal alright. Very impressed.

As an ageing gracefully English bloke I do struggle adapting to fans from foreign climes. Mainly because I cherish my clubs roots and feel protective towards them and I have enjoyed taking the piss out of the scums foreign support which is about as cringeworthy as it can get, I fear that as we grow our support will emulate theirs somehow.

But watching the 2 games and seeing the fans meet and greet the players, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Oz Spurs fans in full voice in both games, singing songs sung by us at White Hart Lane. Hearing fans receive Ledley King in the way we would here is great. I haven't cringed once, very respectful and passionate support. It's nice to see/hear.

Last edited:
As an ageing gracefully English bloke I do struggle adapting to fans from foreign climes. Mainly because I cherish my clubs roots and feel protective towards them and I have enjoyed taking the piss out of the scums foreign support which is about as cringeworthy as it can get, I fear that as we grow our support will emulate theirs somehow.

But watching the 2 games and seeing the fans meet and great the players, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Oz Spurs fans in full voice in both games, singing songs sung by us at White Hart Lane. Hearing fans receive Ledley King in the way we would here is great. I haven't cringed once, very respectful and passionate support. It's nice to see/hear.
I was amazed with the turnout and welcome for ''a night with the king'

Looking forward to the Inter Milan friendly to be honest. Hope to see something similar to what our Everton line up will be. Then scatter some youth in the second half and see how they do mixed with our first team line up.

I have just got back from Melbourne having attended the Atletico game with my 12 year old son. I can confirm that the fans are very passionate for their club. Most, like me, are expats, but there were also many with Aussie and NZ accents.. I travelled from New Zealand and met many others on the flight in to Auckland today.

Poch got to see some of the young lads close up, but it was a big waste of time really.
With 9 of the first 11 at home, plus some important first team squad members, if they had to do a tour to an important market it would have made more sense to go to New York and Chicago.
Not to those in Oz. once again a very professional setup by Australia Spurs aka Ozspurs, media, training facilities.

Not to those in Oz. once again a very professional setup by Australia Spurs aka Ozspurs, media, training facilities.
No doubt, but the first team have been back a week while Poch has been on the other side of the world. Everton is in less than 2 weeks.
Would it have been better to have Wanyama working with the players he is actually going to line up with, rather than Harry Winks? I guess they know what they are doing.

What is more important though? Good training sessions for the Europlayers coming back or fly them half around the planet after a few days of training.

It's not about how we do in friendlies. Pre-season is all about fitness. Among the young ones in Australia there were some that will be in the first team squad the coming years, some even may become stars.

Absolutely right decision to leave Kane, Dier, Alli, Rose, Walker, Lloris, Alderweireld, Dembele, Vertonghen, Davies at home.

Absolutely right decision to leave Kane, Dier, Alli, Rose, Walker, Lloris, Alderweireld, Dembele, Vertonghen, Davies at home.

I'm amazed Levy/Sponsors/Friendly organisers let Poch do this, but it's 100% the right choice.

Poch said last year he hates long pre-seasons and that we should spend as much time in London as possible before a season. I guess he's come to a compromise where most of the 1st team stays, yet he tests out youngsters/fringe players, giving some of them one last chance. For the likes of Yedlin this has worked wonders.

Back
Top Bottom