Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
He didn't?

You think them finishing 13th last year was seen as a good thing?

When they parted ways it had nothing to do with the performance of the team?

He was given a stacked team thanks to the agent being an owner and still got consistently shit results because he couldn't manage an attack if his life depended on it.

Yes he got a nice exit because he is best buddies with Mendes, but the shit results he had definitely were a reason for him leaving.
What about before last season? He did lose his very good striker with a cracked skull for a lot of the season, imagine where we would have ended up without Kane last season had he been out for two thirds of it

Is it really that bad? Not watched a lot of Wolves but whenever I've seen them I didn't think they were too defensive or negative.

As I understand it he was very defensive at Porto, but went more attacking at Valencia. Wolves absolutely destroyed the championship under him.

I know last season and as badly effected with injuries, but prior to that was he really so bad?

I should say it's not like I'm all in favour, underwhelmed really, but I'm also not understanding the strength of feeling against him.

Obviously there's more than a fair chance it's bollocks anyway ;)
Agree not sure where this narrative of Wolves playing terrible football has come from? I seem to remember everyone jizzing over them in their first couple of PL seasons, similar to how they are now with Leeds.

I'm not particularly fussed at this point because we have missed out on the two that I'd consider top managers (Poch and Conte) and everyone else basically falls into the 'meh' category to varying degress. Bored of hearing about it now get any fucker in.

Nuno’s Wolves were maddeningly inconsistent even when they were good, and they were often a totally different, lesser team in games against nothing opponents when you weren’t watching. But I always found them a terrific watch in big games against top teams, for whatever that’s worth.

They played with an aggressiveness and physicality when they came up that was impressive. I like that kind of football.

Didn’t see them a lot this year, but that team that came to WHL at the end of the season was a lost, totally given up team, so that’s worrying.
There were times when they played spurs in the past, that I thought they were extremely fun to watch. I didn’t watch them very much this season so maybe things changed

What about before last season? He did lose his very good striker with a cracked skull for a lot of the season, imagine where we would have ended up without Kane last season had he been out for two thirds of it

Before last season they played the same shitty style.

The got big results for a promoted team because Mendes brought them in players like Mountiho, Neves, Rui Patricio that would have never gone there without his ties.

Now that they have maxed out on the quality clients they can bring in and some managing has to be done we can see them fall off again. Once the talent started evening out Nuno had no answer to compete.

I think under Jose if Kane went out we would have been in big trouble because, like Nuno, he had shown he had no plan to attack with out individual talents there to create on their own.

Sorry if already posted.

You know things are bad when Gattuso describes you as a "mess"...

:pochshock:

Gennaro Gattuso has told Lorenzo Insigne that “there was a bit of a mess” when he held talks with Tottenham over the vacant position in north London.

Insigne worked under Gattuso at Napoli and remains in close contact with his former manager, despite being on international duty with Italy at Euro 2020.

He didn't?

You think them finishing 13th last year was seen as a good thing?

When they parted ways it had nothing to do with the performance of the team?

He was given a stacked team thanks to the agent being an owner and still got consistently shit results because he couldn't manage an attack if his life depended on it.

Yes he got a nice exit because he is best buddies with Mendes, but the shit results he had definitely were a reason for him leaving.
He finished 7th in consecutive seasons with a newly promoted side.

Last season he's operating with a small squad off the back of a Europa run, and missing his three biggest goal threats from the previous two seasons (Jiminez, Doherty, Jota)

He'd be an underwhelming hire but let's not twist narratives here, the guy is plenty capable of running a successful PL side.

Let's say the realistic candidates as of now are.....

• Graham Potter - 9/4
  • Steven Gerrard - 3/1
  • Nuno Espirito Santo - 4/1
  • Roberto Martinez - 6/1
  • Erik ten Hag - 7/1
  • Ernesto Valverde - 10/1
  • Jurgen Klinsmann - 14/1
My top five in order from the above would be

1 Ten Hag
2 Potter
3 Nuno
4 Martinez
5 Valverde

There were times when they played spurs in the past, that I thought they were extremely fun to watch. I didn’t watch them very much this season so maybe things changed
The question of "defensive" versus "attacking" kind of elides the question of whether you're playing with timidity and fear or not.

We were playing with absolute cowardice by the end with Jose. That's not what I've seen from Nuno. His teams are there to punch you in the face.

He's nowhere near as successful or tactically adept, so I hesitate to even make the comparison, but it's a similar attitude and personality to Conte's teams, who I also always find to be a good watch even if they aren't pretty and elegant in the Wengerian sense.

Sorry if already posted.

You know things are bad when Gattuso describes you as a "mess"...

:pochshock:

Gennaro Gattuso has told Lorenzo Insigne that “there was a bit of a mess” when he held talks with Tottenham over the vacant position in north London.

Insigne worked under Gattuso at Napoli and remains in close contact with his former manager, despite being on international duty with Italy at Euro 2020.
Man fuck Gattuso. I dont give a rats ass what he says

The question of "defensive" versus "attacking" kind of elides the question of whether you're playing with timidity and fear or not.

We were playing with absolute cowardice by the end with Jose. That's not what I've seen from Nuno. His teams are there to punch you in the face.

He's nowhere near as successful or tactically adept, so I hesitate to even make the comparison, but it's a similar attitude and personality to Conte's teams, who I also always find to be a good watch even if they aren't pretty and elegant in the Wengerian sense.
Agree. When Poch was fired I thought Nuno would have been a good replacement.

Back
Top Bottom