Players vs Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do you back?

• Players

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Manager

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters
I'm my opinion, that team we put out on Sunday should have wiped the floor with Woolwich. Man for man, we were miles above them. But, we were sent out with a plan that a) played into their hands and b) pissed off our team.

Yet again our incomings and outgoings have completely disrupted the course the team was on IMO, it's not the manager(s)...some of the players are clearly more interested in themselves than the team and some of them clearly aren't good enough and haven't been for a while, yet are still fucking here.

The CL run papered over cracks that have resurfaced massively.

Players, manager, board, scouting department (if we even have one). It's all to blame.

Poch papered over cracks but he couldn't do it forever and now we're seeing the results of not doing the squad rebuilding we needed 3 or 4 years ago.

We need to rip open both wounds.

Jose won't work. But there is 100% a toxic core in the squad that needs to be gotten rid of. Players that care more about their personal brand and value rather than the club.

We're back in 2013 but the roles of Capoue and Kaboul are played by Sissoko and Winks.

Jose is at fault for not being able to control it. The players at fault for not being willing to fight for the badge. Levy is at fault for allowing this to go on for as long as it has and for not having a DOF in charge that can make these decisions for him in favour of micro management when he already has enough on his plate.

Manager. We have had this before Ramos > Redknapp then Sherwood > Poch only this time it’s worse.

We have no plan of attack, no attacking patterns it’s all pound shop Pulis but without the beasts to make it work. Are some of our players not good enough, yes. But I want a manager to go can coach first to see who should stay and who should go not Jose. We play with the tactics of a local pub team and for £15m a fucking year.
I would admit Redknapp > AVB was really a downgrade as well.

Players, manager, board, scouting department (if we even have one). It's all to blame.

Poch papered over cracks but he couldn't do it forever and now we're seeing the results of not doing the squad rebuilding we needed 3 or 4 years ago.

Yep, I can't just call out the manager or players. It's way too simplistic.

Im Ok for Jose to move on, i just fear the next appointment may well lead to the same result. There are players in this squad that don't deserve to wear this badge, and Jose has disappointed is his game and man management. But it seems there is a real issue that runs deep in the culture of the Club at the moment.

Surprised to see so many backing Jose here. Think a few people read the question of "who should we sack"...
Or it could be that there are plenty who think that replacing one guy isn’t going to make that much of a difference when you’ve got another 20 guys who aren’t up to scratch. Maybe these Jose backers are a bit less with the feet stamping and public outcrying when it comes to their support, which is why the posts in the numerous Jose threads aren’t reflected in this poll?

Although, most of the posts in the Jose threads are the same half a dozen that want him out saying exactly the same things over and over again, to the same couple of Jose In posters, who are also just saying the same thing over and over again, so who knows?

I'm my opinion, that team we put out on Sunday should have wiped the floor with Woolwich. Man for man, we were miles above them. But, we were sent out with a plan that a) played into their hands and b) pissed off our team.
Whilst i understand the “sent out with the wrong plan” thing to an extent, no manager tells his players to fuck up ten yard passes, or not to track runners, or not to mark players at set pieces, or not to cover problem areas of the pitch. Or just not to look interested or like they are even fucking trying.

Or it could be that there are plenty who think that replacing one guy isn’t going to make that much of a difference when you’ve got another 20 guys who aren’t up to scratch. Maybe these Jose backers are a bit less with the feet stamping and public outcrying when it comes to their support, which is why the posts in the numerous Jose threads aren’t reflected in this poll?

Although, most of the posts in the Jose threads are the same half a dozen that want him out saying exactly the same things over and over again, to the same couple of Jose In posters, who are also just saying the same thing over and over again, so who knows?
Same ~20 guys people were saying were one of the strongest squad/bench in the league at the season. The same squad that had people licking their lips over the potential front 3 combinations. I really can't believe the same players that got us to a CL final collectively had the biggest psychological breakdown in the history of football to become what many are now calling a 2nd division team and need about 10 selling off with immediate effect.

I understand those that didn't want jose yes it will end as many of those had said, i was/am in the camp that hoped Jose would bring in that extra bit to get us over the line win a cup and then move on.
but as Aberdeen Yid says no manager tells the players to play like drains, out jump out of challenges.
these players are rich men, they will never have to work again once their sign contracts with us run out, so why when they see on the pitch that its not working dont they take charge, how often have you seen any of these players have a go at someone who has ***ked up, when i played grassroots football I played with a guy who if you kept losing the ball or missing tackles etc would tell you then if you kept doing it would lay one on you, you understood if you weren't playing well play simple
players now are too nice, i don't want to see players fighting i want to see them having a go when players keep messing up or bottling it

Same ~20 guys people were saying were one of the strongest squad/bench in the league at the season. The same squad that had people licking their lips over the potential front 3 combinations. I really can't believe the same players that got us to a CL final collectively had the biggest psychological breakdown in the history of football to become what many are now calling a 2nd division team and need about 10 selling off with immediate effect.
I know. I was one of them. Turns out I was wrong.

At worst, they have downed tools because they don’t get on with the manager, or agree with him. Fuck that. Do your fucking job to the best of your ability.

But maybe that ability just isn’t there for most of our squad. Yes, we got to the CL final, but as has been gone over many times on here, we were shite and lucky in equal measure that year.

However, if you think the squad we have is physically good enough and mentally strong enough to be challenging for titles, I applaud your positivity. You only want one guy shifted out of the club. I only want to keep a couple. Your way certainly sounds easier.

An invidious question.

On principle, usually the manager. In this instance it’s difficult as Jose is not the right man for us.

But I despise ‘player power’.

We pay them a King’s ransom. You don’t have to be friends. Just do your fucking job.

I know. I was one of them. Turns out I was wrong.

At worst, they have downed tools because they don’t get on with the manager, or agree with him. Fuck that. Do your fucking job to the best of your ability.

But maybe that ability just isn’t there for most of our squad. Yes, we got to the CL final, but as has been gone over many times on here, we were shite and lucky in equal measure that year.

However, if you think the squad we have is physically good enough and mentally strong enough to be challenging for titles, I applaud your positivity. You only want one guy shifted out of the club. I only want to keep a couple. Your way certainly sounds easier.
It doesn't have to be binary (although my thread provokes that mindset). I am certainly wanting to see the back of Dier and Sanchez, a couple of others as well (Doherty, Sissoko even Lamela) but that is largely because of their quality does not match our ambitions. Many of them have been here for years and years, and have not developed. But I'd also say that every single club has the issue of 'overpaid' players, I don't think we are special in that. Traditionally we've had a young ambitious squad, maybe that is waning now, many are towards the end of their careers. But, it isn't pragmatic or reasonable to replace 10 players, and for me that will take 5 seasons to do, so we need to make do in the meantime. I'd say we're within 3 losses of needing an emergency containment action (ie replace manager). In the next 3, given the teams around us are also performing badly he could turn it around of course. Then I will shut up.

It doesn't have to be binary (although my thread provokes that mindset). I am certainly wanting to see the back of Dier and Sanchez, a couple of others as well (Doherty, Sissoko even Lamela) but that is largely because of their quality does not match our ambitions. Many of them have been here for years and years, and have not developed. But I'd also say that every single club has the issue of 'overpaid' players, I don't think we are special in that. Traditionally we've had a young ambitious squad, maybe that is waning now, many are towards the end of their careers. But, it isn't pragmatic or reasonable to replace 10 players, and for me that will take 5 seasons to do, so we need to make do in the meantime. I'd say we're within 3 losses of needing an emergency containment action (ie replace manager). In the next 3, given the teams around us are also performing badly he could turn it around of course. Then I will shut up.
i agree the players could turn it around, but i didn't think they will, why should they Kane, Son can move on to better clubs, those with a few years on their contracts will see their time out, those at the end of contract or near end of career have lots of money in the bank
hopefully Kane Eriksen Winks Dier Dele & Poch when they retire will think every day about how they blew it in the Leicester season & CL final,

Well, as you’ve said, your thread does just give a simple one or the other option. Whilst I understand it’s not reasonable to replace an entire squad of overpaid fuckwits, I’d be delighted to see it happen. But it won’t. The manager will get the bullet in the head eventually. And well all get back to cheering the same cunts that stopped trying for the last guy.

There’s not one single player escapes my criticism right now. Either technically not good enough, not fit enough, not trying hard enough, or not mentally strong enough.

Neither, although I voted players. Some of the players I like and are trying hard whereas a lot clearly aren't. Jose needs to leave this summer (preferably earlier but he won't) but half the squad can join him. I never believe it's acceptable for players to stop playing for any manager, you don't play for the manager, you play for the club, for the fans and for yourself.

I think our biggest problem is not the manager. Mourinho has his issues, the worst one being the huge amount of baggage that he brings, but he's not our biggest issue.

The longer-serving players in our squad are the issue, namely Dier, Sissoko and Winks. Because they played next to Dembele, Vertonghen etc for a few years they think they are better than they are. They think they deserve to play because they happened to be on the pitch when Eriksen was doing most of the work a few seasons ago. The reality is that they were never very good and now that the manager has rightly demoted them to reserve players, they have stopped trying.

Compare those three to Lamela. He has been at Tottenham longer than any of them but despite all his injury issues he gives absolutely everything he can to help Tottenham win matches. From the first minute he enters the pitch he is ready to die for Tottenham. Then I look at Dier on Thursday. Played like he was in a coma for 118 minutes then right at the end when we were 3-0 down, he suddenly realised he was playing a game of football and panicked, making a brain-dead foul that ruined our last attack of the game. He woke up for the last 2 minutes of a 120 minute match. That's why we are where we are.

The problems we are having now are not specific to Mourinho. Too many fans have forgotten how bad the last year was under Poch, starting so slow and only waking up after 60 minutes, being feeble away from home, making absurd mistakes. The 3-0 against Brighton and the 7-2 against Bayern was these same players. We have allowed mediocre players to think they are big players for Tottenham and that's our problem. Too many of them should have been binned 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom