Player ratings for the month of September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

zin

Supporter
We played 6 games in September (4 wins, 2 draws)

Norwich (H) 1-1 (PL3)
Reading (A) 1-3 (PL4)
Lazio (H) 0-0 (EL1)
QPR (H) 2-1 (PL5)
Carlisle (A) 0-3 (LC3)
Man Utd (A) 2-3 (PL6)

Average game rating was 6.91 (excluding Carlisle).

Player ratings for the month:

Z7KIy.jpg

Defoe is massively hard done by, imv - he has surprised many fans this season, inclduing myself especially with his off-the ball work and movement.

His running and overall team work has impressed me considerably - I'm even preared to give him the benefit of the doubt as the lone man

:walker: is the disappointing one for me - doesn't quite seem to be reaching his standards of last season yet, any ideas why? Not so much competition now Charlie's gone? Hopefully Kyle2 can get fit & keep him on his toes - if he can stop falling asleep at vital moments then he can be a 'triffic player of immense dimension...' :ap:

WelligntonSpur said:
any ideas why?

Naughton injured, New baby keeping him up at night, No Ledley in defence, AVB's tactics confusing the fuck out of him, Fame going to his head, Second-season syndrome, Too much expectation from over-achieving last season, and from doing a Danny Rose and being compared to Gareth Bale...

HyNdZee said:
WelligntonSpur said:
any ideas why?

Naughton injured, New baby keeping him up at night, No Ledley in defence, AVB's tactics confusing the fuck out of him, Fame going to his head, Second-season syndrome, Too much expectation from over-achieving last season, and from doing a Danny Rose and being compared to Gareth Bale...

I'd forgotten about this - may explain some of the zzzzzzzz

I was going to say second season syndrome, but he did well & QPR/Villa and then us. Hopefully it's underachieving now, not over-achieving last season - AVB's tactics should be a good fit for him once he gets used to them

defoe's rate is wayyyy too low, he was great in most of his matches! but i can't remember if he was that bad against norwich like someone pointed here.

what are the player ratings based on? i wonder.

IsraeliYid said:
defoe's rate is wayyyy too low, he was great in most of his matches! but i can't remember if he was that bad against norwich like someone pointed here.

what are the player ratings based on? i wonder.

This forums' match ratings after matches :)

My average Defoe rating was a bit higher (6.8) and I didn't rate the Reading match which was his best, so it does depend on who rates what match to an extent.

But overall I don't think those ratings are too unfair, considering anyone can choose to rate a player significantly higher or lower if they completely disagree and Defoe tends to split opinion like Marmite anyway so he is never going to be on top.

He is just in a position, like Siggy or Dempsey, where he is the focus of the attack so if we don't win it is unfortunately often a result of him not being clinical enough. Some are more sympathetic than others to him being out of position which is understandable and I think all of us are more sympathetic to new first teamers which is also understandable and skews the results slightly.

Back
Top Bottom