Play With Your Heart Not a Heat Map

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Heat maps, arrows and stats, overreaction, followed by under reaction. Inverted wingers, congestion and ball retention. Moving it quick, switching play, deep lying playmaker, sweeper keepers, false nines, false tens, false fans and phony wars. The why on the Y-word, the smoke bombs, the attempted murder of Hugo, the lack of atmosphere, a social media war, 1882 vs stewards, season ticket holders v 1882, the list goes on. We are only in November, my head is going to explode. This […]

Continue reading...

standing-ovation.jpg

It doesn't mean you're part of the Harry-back-in brigade at all to want your football played simply, or skilfully, without the need for on-screen graphics and freeze-frames at every little dink, or pass, or overall possession percentage conversions... I think very soon the bubble will burst on modern analysis, surely that's what Fifa Pro2014/FM is for?? (or whatever the hell these X-Box warriors are playing these days!)

Lalmela has a grace of Ginola about him... and I just wanna see more of it... nothing to do with stats or Townsed's pas completion not being good enough, but 'cos I think most football fans (let alone Spurs ones) want to witness something that takes their breath away, that makes them forget to complain that had he inverted the cross 35cm to the left, instead the in-play co-efficient would've be surrendered (i'm riffing now!)
Anyway, you get the gist!

Stats serve a purpose but if they are used to push a spurious agenda then it's problematic. I agree about Eriksen, no stats can tell me he was anything above 6 out of 10 on Sunday.

Stats serve a purpose but if they are used to push a spurious agenda then it's problematic. I agree about Eriksen, no stats can tell me he was anything above 6 out of 10 on Sunday.
In another thread I said his performance was poor and got hit with his passing stats. Anyone that watched that game could see he simply wasn't good enough on the day, regardless of his pass completion percentage.

I do love stats, but if they were all that mattered, AVB may as well go to Thorpe Park on Sunday afternoons and watch the Neville/Carragher analysis that evening on his iPad.

There are things stats can't tell you I think is what I'm trying to say! :bae:

I like the article. Right now I think we look at the stats because they are in the main the only real positives to disscuss (excluding the important one goals). If we stop using the stats right now then I am affraid we are left with a dull performance to talk about.

There has to be a balance IMO. However the nature of the modern fan/internet forum doesnt allow for it, things HAVE to be polarised. If you arent with me you are against me sort of shit.

For me the stats can be extremely useful. When used appropriately they can cut through prejudice or (for whatever reason) impaired views and opinions.

For example, Im not a fan of Chadli. Didnt see what the fuss is about with him or why people were raving about him. A look at the stats showed he was contributing a hell of a lot more than I had thought he was and so Ive since tried to watch him with a more fair minded eye.

On the other end of the scale the Eriksen example is a good one. I thought he was rubbish against Newcastle (and have made comments to his annonymous style prior to that) and no amount of stats can really change that view. Despite a gazillion passes or whatever I do not believe he made a meaningful contribution to the game at all.

Heat maps can aid discussion brilliantly. You want to describe why a pair of players shouldnt be in the same team? Heatmaps can show how their positioning clashes or their workrate isnt high enough or how between them a bloody great hole appears on that side because neither use that area... Its useful. Its not the be all-end all though.

Reading the piece I found it a little confusing, I agreed with a lot of it but not the overall tone.

The content was fine, but the tone was suggestive of Harrys way is better...

Personally I disagree with that, I think "more" was needed from there - but the fundamental disagreement I had with that tone was the either/or nature of it. Why not a nice balance of both?

I think football has changed a great deal in the last decade or so. Players are smarter, systems more efficient, fitness so greatly improved you have to be 100% on your game for 95 minutes not only physically but mentally too. Ethically/tactically teams tend to look to nullify rather than beat the opposition more. Managers having a long run with a club have been there 3 years and fans demand instant success...

Im not sure todays game is suited to the more romantic notions alluded to in the article, as much as I wish it was. I think the more statistical, rigid, tactical approach is actually required to survive or flourish in this climate.

What I hope is that with time, with establishing our own tactical framework, AVB is able to then evolve it into a more free-flowing style. With the system underpinning that being taken for granted, not even noticed, while we appear to play with heart and freedom of expression.

Even the best, most entertaining teams have a tactical plan behind them - usually these teams are ones where the manager was given time to establish it.

There will of course be those who say its the same as it ever was, and of course they are right. Im not arguing tactics and statistics are a new thing. What I am saying though is with everyone so focused upon them, they are more important that ever and cannot be disregarded.

Anyway, I digress, on a forum there are people who use statistics as if they are the word of god, to back up any spurious argument. These people are fools. Then there are those that use them to expand upon or explain and argument, these people have a point. Balance...

I believe the two can co-exist, so long as the statistic is a valid one. Pass completion can be misleading; does Dawson passing the ball ten yards to Walker twenty times in a match really constitute excellent passing ability?

Does player X covering 12 miles in a match say he is an energetic player or is he constantly out of position?

There is far too much analysis, I think that is fair to say, and there is no substituting God given talent but that isn't to say that you can't admire effective tactics thanks to statistical observation.

Reading the piece I found it a little confusing, I agreed with a lot of it but not the overall tone.

The content was fine, but the tone was suggestive of Harrys way is better...

Not better, but sometimes we become so bogged down with inverted wingers, possession etc that we forget the beauty of football. Not saying Harry was right, but his method of just letting playing players express themselves rings true.

After the defeat against newcastle all i read about were % here, heat maps there, it all felt like a cop out, we were hiding behind stats.

The most shots on goal? That doesn't make us attack minded, it makes us wasteful. Stats can be easily twisted.

The most shots on goal? That doesn't make us attack minded, it makes us wasteful. Stats can be easily twisted.
Couldn't agree more. As were are unable to create clear cut opportunities (not including Newcastle where we had about 10) we tend to rely on glimpses of goal, having a crack from 25 yards under pressure, and set pieces.

Not better, but sometimes we become so bogged down with inverted wingers, possession etc that we forget the beauty of football. Not saying Harry was right, but his method of just letting playing players express themselves rings true.

After the defeat against newcastle all i read about were % here, heat maps there, it all felt like a cop out, we were hiding behind stats.

I think thats fair enough. I think context is required as well though. We are mid way through a pretty major rebuilding of the team and people are beginning to lose faith. Others are looking to (what feels like) tangible ideas in statistics in an attempt to quell that. As I said previously though, it seems to be the nature of internet debate that polarisation has to happen to where people arent happy in the middle ground but rather the opposite extremes.

It used to be that the league table wasnt printed until around this time, people had patience and understood that its a long season and you have to ride out the rough patches. I think those clinging to the stats are trying to recognise that, and perhaps some of those losing faith should remember it.

Generally, (and statistically) things are positive and that should be noted - people should keep faith more IMO at this time. We are dominating teams, we are tighter at the back than Ive ever seen, we are passing and possessing the ball really well and there are flashes of what might be every now and then.

Clearly we are struggling to score. There are reasons for this, some require patience to work their way through, some require more explicit action IMO, but I do think if we can crack putting the ball in the net regularly we will be a formidable and title challenging side. Fix that one (admitedly big!) thing and we are at that level, thats how close we are. We have the defence, the midfield, the possession, the fear to make other teams park the bus - now we need that vital missing piece.

I honestly think we are fine margins away from becoming something really special. I and I honestly believe that once everyone knows their job within the system instinctively that freedom of expression will come as well, we have players far too talented for it not too.

I agree with you in general RE the shooting statistics (as your example), while we are getting into and dominating the attacking 3rd we arent creating enough clear cut/guilt edged chances. Townsend shooting from range 100 times a match is a case in point. Yes, lots of shots. No, none of them with any chance of going in! (perhaps he should cross more often, either it goes in the goal or someone else might get ont he end of it!)

Fantastic article. If I could have repped it x10 I would have done.

Have you considered a longer version for the next fanzine? The writing is certainly good enough!

Loved this article, articulated how I feel about watching Spurs. I consider myself a Spurs supporter rather than a football fan, in that I don't especially enjoy watching other teams play (unless its someone beating Le Scum or underdog wins). I have never been particularly tactical - in my mind football is a simple game - don't give the ball away and score one goal more than the opposition. I think that the game is over analyzed by TV pundits and the sport writers, and players don't appear to be allowed to be spontaneous. However you can't have a team full of flair, maverick players - its just a matter of getting the balance right.

Great piece, a good read. Cheers.

Not a fan of stats as in I don't watch the before, in between & the extended end of televised games clinical & too often critical in depth analysiation (apart from manager interviews) of a match by tele channel suit & normally an ex professional. The ex-pro, normally, I either don't like, didn't rate, both or is somebody that is judging, giving opinion & belittling players that are considerably blessed with more ability than they ever had cos they're shite & underwhelming career hasn't lead them to management or riches but, the tv studio. Robbie Savage critiscising bad tackles & simulation on BBC is wrong. With regard bad sportsmanship, rat boy is equally a tasteless choice. Carragher talking, especially like a girl... three players above their station. And thank fuck Andy Gray ain't on tv no more. The ego on that bloke who for years thought he was on high, judge & jury. Well BNAG.

I don't ignore stats when I come across them but, I don't actively look for them. To read some from last weekends match with the barcodes on here are truly shocking but, as I said, they're too clinical & don't give you the whole story. You may not see a player score on paper but, you will see him run his socks off on the pitch. A player may not get every pass right or assist but, the computer won't show the opposition that shadowed him all afternoon, cancelling out his game & making his task harder.

I think there's a place for both in the modern manager to study, the visual & the analytical, as long as you're not consumed by the digits. A rigid, inflexible system unable to adapt to enviromental & real time events & variables is doomed. The Fat Waiter & zonal marking at set plays anyone.

I'd love to see more players covered in mud than numbers.

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire article yet, but it looks great.

However, I do see an interesting dichotomy going on between the supporters that justify our constipated attacking play through compelling statistics, and AVB's supposed rejection of statistical modeling and "sabermetrics."

I detest stats when used in this "absolute" manner that people seem to be all into these days......

Fan 1: "Player X was shit today"
Fan 2: "No he was brilliant"
Fan 1: "What are you on about, he did nothing and got subbed off"
Fan 2: "Yes but look..........

..........see. Brilliant."

Watching football, in particular your own club, should be simple.

Football itself on a professional level is far from simple. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that.

If people want to dream, that Redknapps "method" of "letting players express themselves" (other words for having delegated everything out to senior players and other coaches) is the right way of true professional football, they are deluding themselves.

I am #AMF but I have no delusions, that the sporting game itself is simple, for no other good reason other than if it was not simple, it wouldn't compute with my fan experience.

In reality Harry is no managment genious. His career is bang average, and his best performances came for Spurs, the slumbering giant of a club, where he over his time had the services of players such as Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, a goalgetter like Defoe and at times even Ledley King. Nothing managers like Moyes, Martinez or Laudrup could not have achieved over a few years with same squad.

If fans can't accept that most team sports on pro level are very complex, perhaps they should stick to the supporters' experience itself?

Good article.

I think it's very important that it's up to each fan how they want to enjoy the beautiful game.

My stance is that I enjoy watching Spurs in whatever fashion that may be. I enjoy reading a lot about Spurs, Spurs follow my life everywhere, but I don't need to have an opinion about everything Spurs, just like I don't have to have any opinions avout everything in medicine - and that is what I work with for a living.

I support others that are saying that everything doesn't need to be black or white, categorical. Therefore, I don't like discussions about how fellow Spurs fans that wear replica or scarfs look like plastic Woolwich fans. Claims like that are only going to split fans. Everyone should be able to enjoy the game like they want to. I believe in singing to support the team, but am not in a position to say that fans that don't sing are doing something wrong.

We support Spurs, in the end we want us to be glorious and winning trophies.

If you feel like watching Spurs without all the tactical analysis feel free to do that, but also have some understading that others find the tactical analysis fascinating. It's about balance. I loved reading Jonthan Wilson's 'Inverting the Pyramid', but mostly I will be living for that next special moment my beloved Spurs scores a goal the next time. The emotions that a goal gives me, is why I follow Spurs. What happens outside those 90 minutes of football can be switched off if I'd want to. Instead I choose to be choosy, I mostly stay off the internet right after defeats because any tactical 'I told you so's' from fellow fans will just annoy me. Likewise, after writing and reading a few posts and articles after the Lloris debacle I couldn't be involve myself in the debate, seeing how fellow doctors having categorical opinions about the colleagues actually on the pitch - it's all a bit frustating. However it seems like any non-categorical opinion is a worthless opinion these days. Gutting.

We are all different, but at least we can all agree about this; we're Spurs and we will be Spurs 'till we die!

Back
Top Bottom