Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I totally agree, i am just interested to know why we would be adopting the tactic of playing a new arrival out of position (if that's what we are doing) just before the season commences

Could be a lot of things. Gio and Ndombele were out at the time and I think Tanguy was only ready for the last one.

Possibly could be for tactics against the opponents. Lower level teams are going to sit back against us and PEH has a good record of picking up loose passes. So we may not need a dedicated DM sitting in front of the back four against that sort of team.

Could be a lot of things. Gio and Ndombele were out at the time and I think Tanguy was only ready for the last one.

Possibly could be for tactics against the opponents. Lower level teams are going to sit back against us and PEH has a good record of picking up loose passes. So we may not need a dedicated DM sitting in front of the back four against that sort of team.
Thanks for that :thumbup:

That's fine, I understand but please note I was asking a member's opinion on an article concerning his pre-season appearances. I myself made no specific personal opinion on whether or not I regarded him as a DM.
Cheers
:dierpochhug:

I hear ya, but the article is claiming he is being played out of position. Which judging from his performance last year, he isn't. He is playing the same role he did at SH. So I guess the question is, what position is he best in at Tottenham? I would say he is being deployed in his preferred position.

His whole life he has played as a B2B. Trying to train that drive out of him is dangerous. Also review a lot of SH fans input on the player and he is very iffy taking the ball off the back. He turned the ball over when pressed and left his backline exposed. I think we are seeing him being deployed in a similar way to how he was last year at SH.

bus-conductor bus-conductor
Have a read of this article. Do you think it's a fair assessment and criticism that we have been playing this lad 'out of position' as McCarthy implies ??

No, we are pretty much playing Hojbjerg in a double pivot the way he played at Southampton. I think the first (and biggest) problem is we needed a proper defensively dynamic and focused 6/DM type to compliment the players here already, and instead we bought a player in Hojbjerg who isn't one - and isn't actually a great CM.

The second problem is that even then we all hoped Mourinho would maybe convert him into that more defensive pivot we need to get the best out of the other players already here, and hopefully play a 433, but it looks like Mourinho is still going to favour his beloved 4231/442 and we are just going to see Hojbjerg doing a similar role that he did at Southampton, which might be an improvement on someone like Sissoko doing it, but will still see the same type of midfield compromises, lack of press resistance playing out, lack of defensive dynamism etc.

A couple of notes as per the last few posts....

There appears to be few high quality pure DMs about.... None of the names floated about here via links or suggestions were; Brosovic, SMS, Sangre, PEH etc. Much like there's no positionally obvious candidate with our recent academy graduates Winks, Skipp, White.

REF: Wanyana over his tenure (pre injury) he became more and more of a roaming player with the CBs high enough to do much of the sweeping.

Compared to 4231, would a 433 not require even more discipline from the 6 by virtue of the other two 8s being afforded even more freedom by their not being an additional line of AMs in front of them?

Last edited:
I don't think he was nearly as bad as some are trying to make out but he clearly is not a DM and clearly cannot play with Winks.

He is a slight upgrade on Sissoko but not near good enough for what we should be looking for and like Winks is so limited in passing that he requires at least 1 if not 2 other MFers to play with to do the passing for him.

Back
Top Bottom