Pedro Porro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Porro is much better than Royal. He was excellent today. The difference between him and royal is massive when in possession of the ball. He plays at a pace which royal doesn’t. Our whole team is quicker.

Would you agree Emerson is strangely better suited to games when we have more possession?

Imo he’s better at linking and keeping things ticking and defensively more aware of direct style, counter attacking teams when we defend.

But teams that want more of the ball, Porro is lethal on the counter and surprisingly decent 1v1 in transitions - going both directions

Would you agree Emerson is strangely better suited to games when we have more possession?

Imo he’s better at linking and keeping things ticking and defensively more aware of direct style, counter attacking teams when we defend.

But teams that want more of the ball, Porro is lethal on the counter and surprisingly decent 1v1 in transitions - going both directions
I don’t know. There’s arguments for both to be fair. My only issue with Emerson is he’s a wee bit too slow on the ball and I always think he’s going to get caught on it. Porro more of a goal threat and is much sharper. It’s good to have both options though. The thing I love about both of them is they genuinely look like they love being at the club.

Great game. I didn’t see any glaring defensive issues, and he had at least one well-timed, strong tackle that I can remember. Offers way more than Emerson going forward.

I don't think his issues in the game yesterday were defensive. He just had a tough time when receiving the ball in central areas and was pretty easy to press.

Once we controlled the game, it became less of an issue. Against teams like City though or some of the more supreme pressing teams (United are one of the worst pressing teams in the league) - it may be more of a glaring issue if he hasn't improved that side of his game by then.

Error prone when pressed at own half

Still only 23. Worked hard in training to learn his chance.

Young, talented and willing to work hard, only matter of time he will improve on his decision making and come good

His best game defensively in a Spurs shirt.
One hold-your-breath moment. Very unlucky not to score.
I do hope the team feel confident letting him shoot and take crosses from wide- hes got real talent striking the ball and can be a real danger for us.

i too prefer him to royal if he can do the business defensively.

the sarr goal doesnt happen if emerson out there playing that ball to kulu. the ball from porro to kulu was weighted well enough to set kulu off on his way. little things like this make a huge difference.

I was thinking about this after the game too....

I don't so much as think it is a matter of how much ball we have, as it is when the oppo seek to bypass our MF.......... Emerson's better defensive awareness means he's less likely to be in no-mans-land should that happen.

When they oppo are seeking to play through the 3rds it gives PP more time to react, utilise his pace and get back into a better position.

Agreed about his ability to counter attack though.

Lots of sour grapes from Gary Neville here.
True, Pedro Porro was not rock solid in defense but he was far from shaky. In fact, as the game went on he looked more and more self assured in defense - and even though he was often left alone with Garnacho, he did well against him. And it was Pedro's first EPL game under Ange and in a defense with 2 defenders (van de Ven, Udogie - goalie Vicario) new to the EPL.

'I’m definitely not having him' Gary Neville brutally singles out Spurs player for his performance despite win

While commentating on the game for Sky Sports, he said (via TBR):
Movie Film GIF

Ange's philosophy is the total anthesis of Conte's/Jose's , they would never play Porro in a back 4 mainly because their gameplan is minimising risk and limiting chances for the opposition. Ange's philosophy is the total opposite, he sees things going the other way where he'll see Porro as a threat going forward and someone who can contribute to our attack and push the opposition back, let them worry about our attack as opposed to us worrying about theirs.

We will still concede soft goals and Porro will still be a liability defensively but what he adds going forward totally outweighs his defensive contribution and long term it will really pay of for us.

He was anything but a liability defensively on Saturday.

TBF he was all over the place first half on Saturday. What’s good and encouraging is that he (or the staff) sorted it out second half, where he was much better.

I think we’ll see a ‘horses for courses’ approach to RB from Ange, with Porro and Royal alternating. Bit if competition ain’t a bad thing

Back
Top Bottom