Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just out of curiosity, was anyone else surprised when paulinho got motm?

Not that he looked bad or anything, just can't say I really noticed him, heard someone say that it was like one of those performances that carrick would give.

Surprised? Amazed.

I'd go with that.

Discussed it with my dad after the game and basically came up with the idea it was his first game in Prem, high tempo against a less cultured side and he did all the simple things right and was always looking for the ball plus he snapped up loose balls / was competitive in the middle of the pitch.

Think it said a lot about the overall game. No real creativity anywhere, the midfielder who played 90 mins for the winning side and covered the most ground got MOTM.

He made Garth Crooks team of the week on the BBC site...he said this, pretty impressive to be fair.

On his Premier League debut, Paulinho introduced himself by having a pass completion rate of 90.6%, misplacing just five of 53 passes in the game.

Noticed he seems to like drifting wide to link up with the fullback and winger to create a sort of overload (look at 1:59 onwards for a good example).

Surprised? Amazed.
Funny, people really do see different games. I thought it was a great start from him. If you watch it back he was incredibly effective at recycling the ball. I was surprised at his short game under pressure and he is quite often looking for a positive pass as well. There wasn't really much to crow about creatively from anywhere so I can see why he got it. We never looked in trouble in open play, only when they broke and bypassed Paulinho really. I think he'll be a proper unit. Just want to see some of the more probing runs he was making in the Confederations Cup now.

Was wrong about Paulie having seen him play (refer back to my 'oh no lets not sign him' posts), think he'll add something different in the middle and help us stop over relying on our wings to creat chances.

Last edited:
Great player, very glad to have him. Dude just needs to finish his chances! But for real, delighted to have him at Spurs. He's been far more effective playing his usual BTB mid style alongside Capoue.

Can anyone remember a Spurs midfielder getting so many chances as he does? His overall game is tremendous but his timing running into the box is unreal. Even the goals Soldado scored in the EL paulinho was just behind him waiting to tap in. Double figures in the league this year :ledleylick:

bra-paulinho-getty.jpg

jermaine-jackson.jpg

Back
Top Bottom