Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All went to clubs with more money than us.

I just mean he doesn't seem like a special player that the board would really push the boat out on. I'd be surprised if we were to sign him and then spend big money on anyone else. We dont have the money that the likes of Chelsea, City, Man U and even Woolwich will have.

Would people be happy if our only two signings were Paulinho and Villa?

My point was that spending 17M now a days doesn't guarantee you a special player in the way it would have in years gone by.

I'd be we'll happy with Paulinho and Villa. Don't know what some of you are expecting.

My point was that spending 17M now a days doesn't guarantee you a special player in the way it would have in years gone by.

I'd be we'll happy with Paulinho and Villa. Don't know what some of you are expecting.
Thats a fair point about what money gets you I suppose. Just look at Bentley.
And traillaitor traillaitor , Levy/the board wont just spend the money for no reason, its millions of pounds, I'm pretty sure they will only spend money on players they are sure will improve us as a team and potentially could sell on for profit/minimal loss if it came to it.

Buying Paulinho, Villa, a striker and maybe another winger for this speculated 433 would cost around £40m and they're all players we need.

Last season we would've broke the £60m barrier if Moutinho had signed, the money is there if it is needed and its sure as hell needed if we want to keep up.

Buying Paulinho, Villa, a striker and maybe another winger for this speculated 433 would cost around £40m and they're all players we need.

Last season we would've broke the £60m barrier if Moutinho had signed, the money is there if it is needed and its sure as hell needed if we want to keep up.
I'd be amazed if we signed all those players personally.

£40m seems a bit low, doesn't it? Seeing as Paulinho and Villa together would be about £27-30m, another striker alone would probably break 40m handily.

Again, referring to last season; Dembele, Lloris, Dempsey, Vertonghen, Adebayor and Sigurdsson all signed. Not sure if we had champions league money despite not actually being in the competition but TV money makes up for that. I understand that we don't need to sign 6 players again but it doesn't hurt to strengthen and improve.

Again, referring to last season; Dembele, Lloris, Dempsey, Vertonghen, Adebayor and Sigurdsson all signed. Not sure if we had champions league money despite not actually being in the competition but TV money makes up for that. I understand that we don't need to sign 6 players again but it doesn't hurt to strengthen and improve.

I'd imagine some of that outlay was Luka money. Or spent in advance of selling Luka with the knowledge he'd definitely be going.

We have a bit more money to spend because of the TV deal but I'd bet a lot of that goes into infrastructure/stadium/etc. We need a couple of outgoings to at least ease the blow of signing good players. Huddlestone and Livermore for sure. Haven't heard any rumors about a LB but if we sell one of Rose or BAE obviously we need one. Can't have Jan out there every other game.

It's always a gamble buying a player. There are no guarantees that they will improve the team. It's a calculated decision looking at potential benefit v risk.
It's more tricky in our position because we have good players. To improve we need excellent players, but they go to bigger clubs so you have to take more of a gamble perhaps.
The tv money does help. No doubt about it, but we have money, IMO. We always spend money above our weight really, but we can do that because we are well run, and we do make good money on some sales. We should spend at least 50 million on the right players this summer, and recoup 15+ million selling surplus players. We have a few that are good but not good enough. I think it'll be a good summer for us.

Admit this is you and I wont bury you:

82781127.gif

We may be receiving steep of £60 million in TV money next year but bare in mind that because if FFP we aren't able to just spunk that money up the wall on new players and new contracts. A lot of that money will be used to pay off outstanding debts and put towards development plans like the stadium.

Back
Top Bottom