Passionate, Not Plastic

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
“How can you be a Tottenham fan? You’re from Wales. Go support your local team”. This is the type of dig I get from time to time from fans of rival teams if I dare to show support for my team. I was born and bred in a small village between Newport and Cardiff. I enjoyed football growing up but had no affiliation with a team. Newport County were my nearest local team playing in the old 4th Division. I’d […]

Continue reading...

That was the year my uncle started supporting spurs...I'm from Sydney, Australia. Atleast you are a stones throw away from London. Do you know how hard it is to buy a spurs jersey here? We haven't got a supporters shop, the sporting retailers barely stock our jerseys and I don't know when I will ever see a spurs game in the flesh. I too feel the highs and lows of the supporters in North London. I am constantly confronted with scum fans gloating on thier success. "Who are Spurs playing in the champions league?"...but you know what? I would never stop loving the lilly white. The only thing I hate is the sportings shops only ever carrying scum, liverpool, chavs and man u jerseys. Man shitty jerseys recently due to their sugar daddy success.

At least your ragged on by footy fans. I live in the U.S and constantly get shit from throwball fans (NFL) for watching proper football. And if you can't get a jersey locally why not just order one from Spurs shop online?

It's a weird (and relatively modern) phenomenon actually CHOOSING a club to support, as opposed to it being 'inherited, passed down, forced upon' by older family members....
I wonder what the demographic at Spurs (and on here for that matter) is between fans who have CHOSEN Spurs themselves (and have stuck with it) as opposed to those who have no choice!!!

Does it make any difference to the type of support when you know you COULD have walked away, as opposed to not having a say in the matter...

Aaaaaaaaaand discuss.....

I don't see how that matters if your loyal your loyal. I watch every game I can, I spend my money on our jerseys so the club receives a bit of my financial support. If we win I'm on cloud 9 and if we lose I f*cking hate life. I've been watching spurs since 04' and I've had one dream since that year, it's just to go see a game at the lane. To be able to sing and be with other people would be amazing! I hug my damn tv when we win a game . So no for me it doesn't matter if you choose spurs as long as your loyal to the club. Walking away is for the folks at Anfield.

I don't see how that matters if your loyal your loyal. I watch every game I can, I spend my money on our jerseys so the club receives a bit of my financial support. If we win I'm on cloud 9 and if we lose I f*cking hate life. I've been watching spurs since 04' and I've had one dream since that year, it's just to go see a game at the lane. To be able to sing and be with other people would be amazing! I hug my damn tv when we win a game . So no for me it doesn't matter if you choose spurs as long as your loyal to the club. Walking away is for the folks at Anfield.

Ah, that's exactly what I mean... if you're a loyal person, you're a loyal person. That goes for life, as well as your football club...
But it's the loyalty that is 'bestowed' upon you (whether you like it or not) from generations of Family members who wouldn't have you support ANY other team... if you don't like it, tough, it's YOUR TEAM!
...compared to that moment, when at 0-4 down at home (for example) against a team you could've been supporting instead, and it dawns on you that you CHOSE this, no one told you to... YOU DECIDED to do this to yourself!
I just wonder if there is a different feeling of pain? (and the disappointment that your Great Great Grandfather didn't support Real Madrid... everyone's Boyhood club!)

It's like when someone hits YOU with a hammer, you feel aggrieved, that SOMEONE else has done this to you... but if YOU hit your own thumb with the same hammer, it's your own stupid fault, and you have no one else to blame but yourself!

Just throwing it out there... thass all!

Living in a remote area, my local butcher is a Spurs fan so I get some choice cuts!!

Ah, that's exactly what I mean... if you're a loyal person, you're a loyal person. That goes for life, as well as your football club...
But it's the loyalty that is 'bestowed' upon you (whether you like it or not) from generations of Family members who wouldn't have you support ANY other team... if you don't like it, tough, it's YOUR TEAM!
...compared to that moment, when at 0-4 down at home (for example) against a team you could've been supporting instead, and it dawns on you that you CHOSE this, no one told you to... YOU DECIDED to do this to yourself!
I just wonder if there is a different feeling of pain? (and the disappointment that your Great Great Grandfather didn't support Real Madrid... everyone's Boyhood club!)

It's like when someone hits YOU with a hammer, you feel aggrieved, that SOMEONE else has done this to you... but if YOU hit your own thumb with the same hammer, it's your own stupid fault, and you have no one else to blame but yourself!

Just throwing it out there... thass all!
My family isn't into football, my dad though liked the way Woolwich fan, I said.... but after years of supporting Spurs turns out my great granduncle played for Spurs in the 20s, was probably crap but hey at least its a link to the club.

Last edited:
My family isn't into football, my dad though liked the way Woolwich fan, I said.... but after years of supporting Spurs turns out my great granduncle played for Spurs in he 20s, was probably crap but hey at least its a link to the club.

Well it shits all over @ Blanchflower Blanchflower 's feeble reason for supporting Spurs...
...oh, hang on, no it doesn't!

So let me get this straight, your old man ACTUALLY said 'be an ArseAnal fan'... I hope you knew what to say?

That song coulda been written for YOU!

Well it shits all over @ Blanchflower Blanchflower 's feeble reason for supporting Spurs...
...oh, hang on, no it doesn't!

So let me get this straight, your old man ACTUALLY said 'be an ArseAnal fan'... I hope you knew what to say?

That song coulda been written for YOU!
I said was only 9 so no, (circa 2004) I don't want to support a club that always wins, and Tottenham were my nearest team (other then Highbury) + I knew about the yid heritage and at the time I was a practising Jew

But yes he has said that, my brother in law is trying to make my nephews Liverpool supporters, but I don't care for them much so meh.

I said was only 9 so no, (circa 2004) I don't want to support a club that always wins, and Tottenham were my nearest team (other then Highbury) + I knew about the yid heritage and at the time I was a practising Jew

Don't let Baddiel hear you say that... do you realise you're in the teeny-tiny >5% MINORITY who are Jewish AND support Spurs... we're rarer than a Duck-Billed Platypus/Mammoth Hybrid!!!!
Anyway, Baddiel ALSO knows the Jewish heritage of our club, (he goes on about it enough!) ...and yet STILL chose to support Chelsea... funny that!

I think its just that sometimes the real/plastic distinction gets fudged with the support local team/team from the other end of the country distinction.

People move around a lot more now so who can say "you should support your local team"? You fall for Spurs, that's what matters surely. But I can see where it can get confused with certain clubs. Man United fans in London, who rarely if ever go to a game.

But with Tottenham I don't see the same thing, we're not exactly winning titles left right and centre.

I love meeting Spurs fans from up north or abroad etc. Its something you've got in common straight away, talking about Spurs over a beer inevitably leads to talking generally and just having a laugh.

Don't let Baddiel hear you say that... do you realise you're in the teeny-tiny >5% MINORITY who are Jewish AND support Spurs... we're rarer than a Duck-Billed Platypus/Mammoth Hybrid!!!!
Anyway, Baddiel ALSO knows the Jewish heritage of our club, (he goes on about it enough!) ...and yet STILL chose to support Chelsea... funny that!
He also has that horrible neck beard to try and look cool but looks disgusting, what does he know?

My Dad is a Woolwich fan. My Mum is Spurs.

Lucky escape.

Wow... dinner times must've been fun on NLD Day!!

I know 'love conquers all' and all that guff... but I don't know if I could ever TRULY love someone who supported them, let alone Marry them!!

Your Mum must be a patient, understanding Woman!

My Dad is a Woolwich fan. My Mum is Spurs.

Lucky escape.
I'm opposite to this, my stepdad was a Spurs fan and my mum who doesn't like football had more of a sympathetic leaning towards the Woolwich due to friends and family supporting them. It was fun growing up in Finsbury Park and having to walk past that fucking shite superstore next to the tube station everyday. This was also the time the man in the raincoat was in charge and they were doing okay winning the league and some cups. One of my worst Spurs moments was going to the FA Cup semi at Wembley in 93 and Donkey winning the it for them. Going home that day was f**king painful.

Now that I don't live in London and have a young family it's just not viable to get to games. I do plan on taking my boys though when they are a bit older and have the patience to sit and watch a match. They have been taught both 'Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur' and 'Ohh When the Spurs' we singing it everyday. My eldest who is nearly three knows that all red teams smell of 'Poo' and Woolwich are 'rubbish'.

I don't think if I met a Spurs fan that's not from North London I wouldn't coat them off in the same way as I would a plastic Goon. At least if you support Spurs you're not coming just for the glory as we clearly haven't had much to cheer about during the Premier League era although that is getting better now. Whereas I feel plastic Goons who have no link to Woolwich yet chose to support them during the early Wenger years get my fucking goat. I still remember the shit they used to play, boring 1-0 defensive football. They even took pride in it the cunts. At least even when we weren't winning we were always trying to play with flair, although with the players available it just didn't work a lot of the time.

I dislike the glory hunters that support the Mancs and the dippers (although this was more so during the 80s, you're stuck with that shit now haha) as they have enough decent teams down south to support yet choose a team over 200 miles away. Take some pride in your local area.

I have less dislike for foreign fans though as they will tend to choose a team that is doing well and it's nice that we can get this distant interest from abroad as it builds our club profile and creates a fanbase which brings foreign sponsors.

One of my childhood friends from school supported Liverpool, by the time we went to secondary he was a Leeds fan. We lost touch when he moved to Devon. Then as an adult he had a Spurs season ticket as his mates all went. Now he's claiming to be a Gooner since he was a kid, he decks his whole family in the red shit. It fucks me off the amount of shit he gives Spurs on FB and twitter, when I know how much of a massive plastic he is. Ocassionally he does get called out by people but he goes on the defensive about it. I can't be bothered to waste my time with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom