Our Summer Signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a good list of world class players who were gash/not great in their first seasons in England but quality seasons on end after that. Most of them guys didn't have to put up with the type of turmoil our lot have either. I wouldn't be so quick to write off any of our new signings after one season tbh.

A lot of people going to have egg on their faces when Lamela gets into gear. Maybe not this season, but eventually. He simply has too much ability. I am so glad we got him.

Paulinho - Showed in the game versus Stoke that there is a real talented player there that his Brazil appearances led us to believe, but had not previously displayed. Definitely keep - 7/10
Eriksen - Together with Adebayor has been one of the major reasons our season has turned around - Definitely keep - 7/10
Chiriches - Has had some good and some poor moments. Not sure he is first choice material if we want to challenge, but would be good squad centre half -Keep 6/10
Chadli - Disappointed with him for most of the season, just didn't see what he offered at all. Says he is a support striker and played out of position all season. Tim does have the habit of bringing him on late in the game to sure us up while leading. At best a squad player rather than starter - Keep 5/10
Soldado - Had no service for first 4 months of year and confidence levels seem drained. However despite having chances created for him now is still not scoring. For the money spent and his age you would expect the finished article. How he played a couple of times for Spain I am not sure - Would not be adverse to replacing with another striker 5/10
Capoue - Played well for the 15 mins or so v. Palace and against Swansea. Was woeful against Woolwich. Not done anything of note since he came back, and was dreadful in the defeat to Liverpool. We are overloaded in midfield, he is expendable - Sell and use money to improve another position (e.g. Left Back) - 4/10
Lamela - For the money spent, you need that player to be able to contribute from the off. We cannot afford to have £30 million players doing nothing. Would keep this window, but if not ready to contribute properly from August would sell in Summer Window - 2/10

Paulinho - Showed in the game versus Stoke that there is a real talented player there that his Brazil appearances led us to believe, but had not previously displayed. Definitely keep - 7/10
Eriksen - Together with Adebayor has been one of the major reasons our season has turned around - Definitely keep - 7/10
Chiriches - Has had some good and some poor moments. Not sure he is first choice material if we want to challenge, but would be good squad centre half -Keep 6/10
Chadli - Disappointed with him for most of the season, just didn't see what he offered at all. Says he is a support striker and played out of position all season. Tim does have the habit of bringing him on late in the game to sure us up while leading. At best a squad player rather than starter - Keep 5/10
Soldado - Had no service for first 4 months of year and confidence levels seem drained. However despite having chances created for him now is still not scoring. For the money spent and his age you would expect the finished article. How he played a couple of times for Spain I am not sure - Would not be adverse to replacing with another striker 5/10
Capoue - Played well for the 15 mins or so v. Palace and against Swansea. Was woeful against Woolwich. Not done anything of note since he came back, and was dreadful in the defeat to Liverpool. We are overloaded in midfield, he is expendable - Sell and use money to improve another position (e.g. Left Back) - 4/10
Lamela - For the money spent, you need that player to be able to contribute from the off. We cannot afford to have £30 million players doing nothing. Would keep this window, but if not ready to contribute properly from August would sell in Summer Window - 2/10

Good analysis. Very similar to my opinion.

We've gotten rid of promising talent before through impatience so I'm not holding my breath.
I think the price tag will work in our favour this time because we'll really want him to come good to not look silly.

We did okay with Bale despite that little "cursed" run etc, we gave plenty of opportunities for players like Bentley, O'Hara even Johnny 2 Saints. & with the talent we're churning out through the academy I'd like to think our club now knows a thing or two about nurturing young talent.

The only time (of recent) I can think of where we got rid of promising talent was when we sold Kaboul, the Prince-Boateng stuff I'm not so sure was our fault, didn't he himself blame his lack of discipline for his failure to make an impact here?

I think the price tag will work in our favour this time because we'll really want him to come good to not look silly.

We did okay with Bale despite that little "cursed" run etc, we gave plenty of opportunities for players like Bentley, O'Hara even Johnny 2 Saints. & with the talent we're churning out through the academy I'd like to think our club now knows a thing or two about nurturing young talent.

The only time (of recent) I can think of where we got rid of promising talent was when we sold Kaboul, the Prince-Boateng stuff I'm not so sure was our fault, didn't he himself blame his lack of discipline for his failure to make an impact here?

Add Crouch to that list, too

I think everyone overlooks the 'luck' factor. Injuries, playing time, tactics etc all contribute a huge amount to how (in)effective any given player is.
Yes, you could argue that Ronaldo would score goals wherever he went but what's to say that when he was developing Fergie rated someone else in his position more and instead of 100 appearances for Man U between 18-22 (complete guess) he got 10 and a loan move to Preston. Would he be the player he is today? Almost certainly not.

My point is, ALL of our young players clearly have talent from Kane to Lamela to Veljkovic to Chiriches. If we stick by them, blood them, give them training and support and let them develop together over the years (a bit like a certain prof paedo has done) the majority of them will surely make it.

At 7 million surely Chadli was always going to be at best a squad player. A big motherfucker to bring on when we need something a bit different. Who can play in a few positions. Saying hes been shit etc would seem to me like people just expecting too much from him.
Similar with capoue really. Can cover a few positions when called upon and is mostly solid. Until he got injured he was most peoples favourite of the new signings.
Lamela has shows flashes Of brilliance but looked nervous constantly. Which I understand seeing as we're a similar age. It must be mind blowing to be bought for 30 million. He's probably left all his mates and his bird back in Italy. To come to the biggest shit hole in London. That's so bad 2 years before he'd arrived the locals had tried their best to burn it the Fuck down.
I'd give Chadli and Lamela 6, soldado a 5 erikesen and 8 and the rest 7.

Btw, I'm judging by how well they've done since they arrived. Eg a 10 would be someone who comes Into the side straight away and becomes the first name on the team sheet. And a 1 would be someone signed and then you don't even want him In the reserves..

Lamela has shows flashes Of brilliance but looked nervous constantly. Which I understand seeing as we're a similar age. It must be mind blowing to be bought for 30 million. He's probably left all his mates and his bird back in Italy. To come to the biggest shit hole in London. That's so bad 2 years before he'd arrived the locals had tried their best to burn it the Fuck down.

He spends a couple of hours in Tottenham every other week..........

I am sorry but he has hardly played. The ten or so minutes I have seen him every now and again he has looked classed. Lamela just needs to adjust to life in the UK, he is only fucking 21 for christ sake. He didn't ask to be bought for 30 million.Definitely wont get anywhere near 30 million for him so unfortunately for you he is staying. :avbfu:

If we don't sell Lamela early his talent will come through, eriksen, paulinho and chirches are first team players already and are doing well. Not sure about chadli, never does much, he's a stoke level player and soldado is worrying me, can't play on his own which limits us tactically and his body language has been all wrong recently. He has had some family issues recently so
I can Understand it's probably hard at the moment for him but we do need he chipping in with the goals.

Back
Top Bottom