Our Best XI (towards a 4-6-0?)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I finished Inverting the Pyramid (and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express) last night, so, basically, I'm now a tactical expert :adelol: .

For those who haven't read it (TF?), the epilogue closes with some casual rumination on what's next for tactics, taking Carlos Alberto Parreira's suggestion that the future is a 4-6-0. Now Wilson's book is four years old, yet Spain's 4-6-0 was derided at Euro 12 as arrogant, etc., and unheard of (though it worked). But it got me wondering if AVB doesn't have his eyes on something like a 4-6-0 for Spurs.

Decidedly, a 4-6-0 is not so terribly different from a 4-3-3 (one of the points of the book is that contemporary formations are nowhere near as rigid as we might assume them to be). So consider a typical lineup from our Reading match thread:

[formation=4-1-2-3 GK=Friedel D=Assou-Ekotto Gallas Vertonghen Walker DM=Parker M=Sigurðsson Dembélé AM= S=Bale Adebayor Dempsey]SanDiegoYiddo's suggested formation vs. Reading.[/formation]
Here we've got one DM and no one past the back four who hesitates to run up to the edge of the box. There's tremendous width but also a great spine. The only glitch is that I wonder if Bale and Dempsey/Lennon don't get lost up front getting chalk on their boots. As the heat maps from another thread show, Bale was most useful when owning the outside 20 yards (or so) of the entire left side of the pitch. So Bale should maybe drop back, creating an asymmetrical 4-1-3-2:

[formation=4-1-3-2 GK=Friedel D=Assou-Ekotto Gallas Vertonghen Walker DM=Parker M=Bale Sigurðsson Dembélé ... AM= S=... Adebayor Dempsey]Asymmetrical 4-1-3-2 returns Bale to storming the left side of the pitch.[/formation]
Now Bale can find Adebayor, Dempsey, as well as Dembélé on far post crosses, or he can meet Adebayor or Sigurðsson near post. The kind of flash that made us all :gomes: two seasons ago, but whose lack has made us :vdvcry: .

My question is, then, why not just pull everyone back and see our front six as providing a kind of wheel of a strike force, something like:

[formation=4-6-0 GK=Friedel D=Assou-Ekotto Gallas Vertonghen Walker DM= M=Bale Sig Ade Parker Dembélé Deuce AM= S=]4-6-0. So arrogant.[/formation]
Now Parker stays central, where he can drop back and switch up with Vertonghen/Gallas (most likely Vertonghen) when/if he moves up, we push Bale out to the far left, where he's a known but still potent quantity, and flood with width, having both channels (Sigurðsson available on the left) as well as rotation (Bale/BAE has the ball on the left, and there's four players to look for moving goalward, not including a streaking Walker/Vertonghen). It just feels a bit of a waste to have Dempsey on the far right, since, from what I understand, he's more of an inside player, and we could use his fierceness more narrowly.

Adebayor would be more involved in picking up the ball right off the back line (or off tackles from the more "established" midfielders), etc. It just looks like this would cause absolute havoc, if our players are fit enough to move as a rotating unit, instead of as three separate lines. Wilson quotes Mourinho as saying that the three lines will always exist, but Barça (and Spain) are suggesting that isn't the case, at least not at all times. And if we put genius wings like Bale (and, less so, Lennon) all the way up front, we're conceding a lot of what makes them geniuses, no?

So, pace SanDiegoYiddo, I'd recommend Lennon in place of Dempsey (for now?), but I'd also put Sandro in for Sigurðsson, if only since Sandro has his beast mode while also being absolutely unafraid to storm forward and look for assists/goals (much like, I imagine, Dembélé on the opposite side, from what I've seen).

TL;DR: Do Spurs have a future as a 4-6-0? Would we want such a formation? Why or why not? What would we need to get it? Would this be helpful in getting back to playing the Spurs way (and not look lost and negative)? Is this formation completely insane? Are we just prejudicially assuming Adebayor would never drop this far back? We've gotten rid of our players who are disinclined to defend, after all (vdV).

[formation=4-6-0 GK=Friedel D=Assou-Ekotto Gallas Vertonghen Walker DM= M=Bale Dembélé Ade Parker Sandro Azza AM= S=]My 4-6-0.[/formation]
Or is it all just names on a grid, and we actually rotate through a series of formations over the course of a game?

I feel like this is Christmas.

Think I would have been tempted to spend a night in a hotel room with whores aplenty on call a little bit different to this...!

:ossie:

And I agree with Sandro for Siggy actually, I was just thinking 1 DM (Parker) 1 Runner (1 "S") and 1 attack minded midfielder (Sigg), but Sandro can act as the runner, while Dembele becomes our pushed up midfielder in away matches. Plus I like Gylfi coming off the bench late in games more than Sandro. I disagree with Lennon instead of Dempsey though. Lennon's speed hasn't been very effective in this system yet, but Deuce can cut in and link up with Ade and fire shots while still having Walkers pace on the right.

Also I love your idea of the asymmetrical 4-1-3-2 with Bale pulled back. Just another step closer to my Bale at LB campaign coming good.

I'd argue the 4-6 formation still has three lines, it's just harder to differentiate the 2nd and 3rd line as the 3rd one is much deeper than normal. From what we saw of spain this summer, the third line will just sit infront of the opositions defense in attack, and while defending it will roughly be where the deep midfielders are usually stationed. I'd even go so far to say that spains variation of this is a deep 4-3-3, by that I mean that the forward 3 are positioned where the 3 of the 4-2-3-1 are stationed. And I feel that to pull this off, we need much better passers off the ball to pull it off (Modric, Vdv). In essence players who are capable of pinging the ball into tight situations with ease, and perhaps more important, players capable of recieving the ball with all but no space. (will come back to argue more, but for now I have to run!)

Kalyl said:
And I feel that to pull this off, we need much better passers off the ball to pull it off (Modric, Vdv). In essence players who are capable of pinging the ball into tight situations with ease, and perhaps more important, players capable of recieving the ball with all but no space.
In other words, no Defoe… :defoe:

I just think that we saw last year that Adebayor isn't a target man/No. 9 in the way Crouch was. Considering how much time he spent by the corner flag (covering for an in-swinging Bale), it's not surprising that he picked up as many assists as he did (recall the complaints about his lagging goal-scoring rate in the very early winter, iirc). So it seems odd to put him up top in a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Yet the 4-3-3 looks like it loses some width and a lot of what makes Bale Bale. I don't think we'll be looking to Bale (or his counterpart on the right) to beat offside traps any time soon (Lennon with his quick turn can do this better than Bale, who's like a train), so why not pull them back…

SanDiegoYiddo said:
I feel important.
The starting lineups offered in the forum are often basically the same, but with slight personnel changes. (Not to harsh your buzz) I think we sort of instinctively know what we want from our starting XI, and it's certainly not Sandro and Livermore in the back. If the main argument is Sandro or Sigurðsson, then the team is picking itself, for better or worse.

Éperons said:
Kalyl said:
And I feel that to pull this off, we need much better passers off the ball to pull it off (Modric, Vdv). In essence players who are capable of pinging the ball into tight situations with ease, and perhaps more important, players capable of recieving the ball with all but no space.

I just think that we saw last year that Adebayor isn't a target man/No. 9 in the way Crouch was. Considering how much time he spent by the corner flag (covering for an in-swinging Bale), it's not surprising that he picked up as many assists as he did (recall the complaints about his lagging goal-scoring rate in the very early winter, iirc). So it seems odd to put him up top in a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Yet the 4-3-3 looks like it loses some width and a lot of what makes Bale Bale. I don't think we'll be looking to Bale (or his counterpart on the right) to beat offside traps any time soon (Lennon with his quick turn can do this better than Bale, who's like a train), so why not pull them back…

SanDiegoYiddo said:
I feel important.
The starting lineups offered in the forum are often basically the same, but with slight personnel changes. (Not to harsh your buzz) I think we sort of instinctively know what we want from our starting XI, and it's certainly not Sandro and Livermore in the back. If the main argument is Sandro or Sigurðsson, then the team is picking itself, for better or worse.
haha no it's fine...

depressed-09.jpg

"Or is it all just names on a grid, and we actually rotate through a series of formations over the course of a game?"

I'd say this.

There are no formations anymore, because they shift constantly dependant on whether the team is attacking or defending, and where the ball is located on the pitch at any one time.

Cripps14 said:
4-6-0 is the way forward you say?

[ Image ]
Well, as Wilson argues, formations that look defensive are only defensive if you don't have the players to make them undefensive (he has in mind, iirc, for example, Herrera's catenaccio vs. the lesser knockoffs that couldn't match Inter's flexibility and became dull and anti-footballish). I mean, the W-M was originally considered an outrageously defensive formation.

Spurs >>> Scotland.

Éperons said:
Kalyl said:
Yes, that means no defoe. but from what we've seen that also probably means none of our now current squad. Modric and VdV are the only two players that could possibly pull it off of the squad we've had the past 5 years... This sort of formation requires so incredibly much from the attacking players it's incredible to think spain have done it. You need all but the out and out winger(s), and even they need to have some of the following traits at world class level, to have world class vision, first touch, spacial awerness, technical ability, passing and teamwork. And as much as I hate the spanish team, they have plenty of players that tick all those boxes...

Éperons said:
Ade is not a targetman ala crouch, but that is more due to crouch being limited than Ade not being able to do it. If Ade is instructed to stay central and Bale is instructed to roam a lot less (something which needs to be done no matter what formation we play!) Ade can actually stay central and play to his physical stature and his technical ability to become closer to a 9 1/2. By 1/2 I mean that he'll do all the things a normal "nr.9" can do when it comes to playing into his body and getting at the end of crosses, but he can ALSO and this is the important part, create chances for teammates who are in better positions than himself.

Formations not matter one shit when the players IN that formation are stoopid enough to concede an IDENTICAL goal, in EXACTLY the same situation (1-0 up) at virtually the same time in the match, in consecutive weeks... no formation in the world (except maybe 9-1-0) would prevent that kinda lapse in concentration! TWATS the lot of 'em!

1882 said:
no formation in the world (except maybe 9-1-0) would prevent that kinda lapse in concentration! TWATS the lot of 'em!
Actually, I suspect that both goals were a result of flooding the box (as one would expect from a team playing a 9-1-0).

Back
Top Bottom