Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They've had about 85 games with those statistics at this stage of the competition. It's an artform at this point, nothing Reading about it. Just pure bred winners

I don't discredit their mentality at all. But they are often an awful team to watch all things considered. Had City been a touch more ruthless they would have won by 3 or 4 and everyone would be saying how pathetic they were. That's football.

I don't discredit their mentality at all. But they are often an awful team to watch all things considered. Had City been a touch more ruthless they would have won by 3 or 4 and everyone would be saying how pathetic they were.

It's not done by fluke, bar last season they just seem to have that know how to get over the line, the CL run of 2021/22 was mental when they knocked out Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

I dunno man it seems like they have that aura/experience which gives them extra belief and gives the opposition the opposite.

Different group of players tbf. The last group had realistic shots at the title when we were in the EL IIRC, unless my memory is off.
Yes and no. We were in it during the Leicester title season so can understand not really caring during that one (similarly when we dropped into the last 32 from the CL the next year, though fuck me we lost to Gent), but we've seemed disinterested even when we've not had much else to play for in a season.

Either way, hopefully this really is a new group of lads with a new outlook.

People were dismissing CL pedigree factor when these fixtures came out. Said Bayern would get through regardless of league form.

Not sure why when they still have a better 11 than Woolwich, man for man. Only reason they failed this season in the Bundesliga is because their manager didn't get enough out of them, and Leverkusen had a freak season. Bayern would have been pretty strong favourites in the tie if it wasn't for Tuchel.

It's not done by fluke, bar last season they just seem to have that know how to get over the line, the CL run of 2021/22 was mental when they knocked out Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

I dunno man it seems like they have that aura/experience which gives them extra belief and gives the opposition the opposite.

I get that. Though tonight I thought City lost that game because of themselves more than anything else. Madrid were always going to be plucky. But on any other night it's another 4-0 game as it was last year.

Not sure why when they still have a better 11 than Woolwich, man for man. Only reason they failed this season in the Bundesliga is because their manager didn't get enough out of them, and Leverkusen had a freak season. Bayern would have been pretty strong favourites in the tie if it wasn't for Tuchel.

People have gone weirdly overboard on how bad Bayern are. One poster even said that he'd be 'disappointed' if we didn't beat them, lol.

Leverkusen would be leading the league in Pep's first season and Heynckes treble season. This Bayern side aren't vintage but would be leading the Bundesliga most seasons, they're decent. Would obviously be top four in England easily.

I get that. Though tonight I thought City lost that game because of themselves more than anything else. Madrid were always going to be plucky. But on any other night it's another 4-0 game as it was last year.

View: https://x.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1780702441182576970

City had loads of the ball and did create but ultimately not as much as they'd have liked, especially in terms of clear cut stuff. Both their biggest chances came from errors (including the goal which Rudiger handed them).

A lot of tippy-tappy stuff.

People have gone weirdly overboard on how bad Bayern are. One poster even said that he'd be 'disappointed' if we didn't beat them, lol.

Leverkusen would be leading the league in Pep's first season and Heynckes treble season. This Bayern side aren't vintage but would be leading the Bundesliga most seasons, they're decent. Would obviously be top four in England easily.

Think they would be battling for second place with a better manager than Tuchel in charge. I give them a real chance against Real Madrid. They'll have much more of the ball against Bayern which will suit the Germans as they love to counter.

View: https://x.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1780702441182576970

City had loads of the ball and did create but ultimately not as much as they'd have liked, especially in terms of clear cut stuff. Both their biggest chances came from errors (including the goal which Rudiger handed them).

A lot of tippy-tappy stuff.

But if De Bruyne doesn't miss his sitter, they have to come out instead of sticking 10 men behind the ball, and then City are likely to exploit the space. As I said originally, I'll give them plenty of credit for their defending tonight and hanging on in there. They are brilliant at that. But considering the players they have I thought they were pretty poor from a pure footballing perspective. City only have themselves to blame at the end of the day.

5th place will probably not get us Champions League and I honestly don’t give a fuck. City can now focus on league and prevent the scum from winning the title. We will get Europa and win it next year.
If we get Europa League we'll play a weakened team to concentrate on qualifying for the champions league and get knocked early. That's what we do.

People were dismissing CL pedigree factor when these fixtures came out. Said Bayern would get through regardless of league form.

Playing for certain clubs just instils that extra % of belief in these competitions. City were better all game but as long as they were in it, those Madrid players believed. And Bayern went out there both legs and looked favourites.

Pick wankhorns, get wankhorned.

West Ham Hammers GIF by West Ham United
Three Lions Football GIF by England

I don't discredit their mentality at all. But they are often an awful team to watch all things considered. Had City been a touch more ruthless they would have won by 3 or 4 and everyone would be saying how pathetic they were. That's football.
I thought they defended brilliantly tonight and limited city to mainly speculative efforts. Don't get the fuss about vinicius junior I've never seen him have a good game yet.

I thought they defended brilliantly tonight and limited city to mainly speculative efforts. Don't get the fuss about vinicius junior I've never seen him have a good game yet.

They just sat back with 9 or 10 players behind the ball for the majority of the game. Had City scored first it's a totally different result and scoreline. I just thought it was pretty poor from a side that has players like Bellingham, Vinicius Junior and Rodrygo, to be that defensive and offer so little going forward.

But as I said, they got through via the lottery of penalties and won't really care.

Back
Top Bottom