Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we write off how you did last season then this season hasn’t been a good one for us. In arsenals shadow. They are fighting for the title whilst we are in for our top 4 trophy.

Yeah but I don’t rate 2pts over 26 games as highly as you. That is nothing & I think the difference can be ref/VAR decisions & a bit of luck on the pitch. Like United are fortunate to be just 3 points behind us. But by your logic you are where you deserve to be.

But I agree about not watching them until city away! Don’t get people watching them win 6-0 but each to their own.

You brought up last season, not me.

This time last year, Woolwich were top and 5 points clear. And the majority of us knew they'd bottle it.

Being 5 points and 2 positions worse off 12 months on worries me even less.

At least we agree on not watching them.

By 1 & 2 points, which suggests they’ve been better by the slimmest of margins and the reality is you have no fucking clue how it goes from here.

They’re not favourites but they’re the in-form side atm and this ‘oh I’m not worried’ stuff is so transparent.
Yeah 1/2 points over 26 games is nothing. Bit of luck or a bad ref call is the only difference. They are playing the best stuff & control the games the best. Can’t see them not winning it within the next few years if city get punished & with klopp going.
It’s not that I think they are great, Just the standard had dropped off a lot the last few years. Same in the CL, no real great sides in it. & as we saw in the WC with Argentina, not exactly an amazing team. Lost to Saudi Arabia & conceded 3 in the final.

The pressing from Rice this half is insane. Scary levels of intensity. He’s absolutely everywhere just marshalling and dominating the press.
Wish city had got him instead of spending 80 on kovacic & Nunes. Solid player with consistent 8/10 performances. The sort you need over a long season.

Yeah 1/2 points over 26 games is nothing. Bit of luck or a bad ref call is the only difference. They are playing the best stuff & control the games the best. Can’t see them not winning it within the next few years if city get punished & with klopp going.
It’s not that I think they are great, Just the standard had dropped off a lot the last few years. Same in the CL, no real great sides in it. & as we saw in the WC with Argentina, not exactly an amazing team. Lost to Saudi Arabia & conceded 3 in the final.

For what it’s worth this season I’m giving City the benefit of the doubt having lost faith in them a bit about 2/3 through last season. Until we are shown otherwise, they’re the experienced favourites. Can’t see Liverpool doing it with the injuries.

Woolwich still have to go to the Etihad where I suspect they’ll be turned over.

You brought up last season, not me.

This time last year, Woolwich were top and 5 points clear. And the majority of us knew they'd bottle it.

Being 5 points and 2 positions worse off 12 months on worries me even less.

At least we agree on not watching them.
Yeah I think last season is relevant to this.
Yeah you guys also said I shouldn’t want city to win for the 1st 2 thirds of the season as Woolwich aren’t a threat. They would have wrapped up the title by Easter if you lot had your way.
They bottled it thank god, but it still relies on either city or Liverpool being at it for the rest of the season. & you would expect Woolwich to learn from bottling it. Teams usually bottle it like Liverpool & then go 1 better. Rather than win the title or CL out of nowhere.
Anyway, we shall see. I keep switching who I have more faith in. But with all the injuries & cup games Liverpool have I am going back to city now! But at least we have 2 hopes for now.

For what it’s worth this season I’m giving City the benefit of the doubt having lost faith in them a bit about 2/3 through last season. Until we are shown otherwise, they’re the experienced favourites. Can’t see Liverpool doing it with the injuries.

Yeah Liverpool really unlucky with all those injuries as the title is up for grabs & you won’t need a massive points haul. I can see them falling away & putting more in to the cups like they seem to have prioritised so far.
City deserve to be favourites as done it time & time again. But I think they just scraped it last year. Have got weaker this year & less hunger too. Woolwich have got a better team & I think might have learn from bottling it. But my hope is either they bottle it again & haven’t learn. Or city prove me wrong again & go on another run.
Sadly if they get relegated & with klopp leaving, it surely makes Woolwich big favourites for next few seasons.
Not a lot faith in city at home. See how they played against Chelsea. I think they rarely beat a top 6 team now. That’s not the proper pep city when it’s a shock if they beat one of the big teams. Just United I think so far?

The biggest problem with us facing this Ars team is going to be set pieces, we're really gonna struggle defending their corners. I think we'll play through them though but Bissouma/Bentancur really need to be on their game.

Goons pacing themselves or running out of steam?

Bit of both I suspect. They tend to go full throttle for first 30 minutes and try and establish a foothold. Then back off to go again early in second half.

It's why its so important to keep it tight early and find ways to disrupt their early intensity. Newcastle were brilliant at that last season. Utterly awful at it tonight.

Goons pacing themselves or running out of steam?
It’s their tactic. Go fast & hard early & try to kill the game off before half time. It can backfire. Fergie used to do it at home. Bomb forward first 30 mins. Sometimes they 2 or 3up at half-time.
So it’s important to weather the storm. Then Woolwich struggle like when Liverpool beat them in the cup. Woolwich should have been 2/3 up & missed their chances.

Woolwich are playing miles better than City at the moment. They have the hunger. Oil slavers need to find that again.

Woolwich are playing miles better than City at the moment. They have the hunger. Oil slavers need to find that again.

They are but to go with a boring, shit cliche - it’s a marathon not a sprint blah blah blah..

City are fantastic at suddenly clicking and then grinding everyone else down. Unless there was a huge gap it’s hard to look past them.

And Woolwich showed last season that when it goes a bit wrong they tend to spiral a bit. The question is whether they learned from it.

They are but to go with a boring, shit cliche - it’s a marathon not a sprint blah blah blah..

City are fantastic at suddenly clicking and then grinding everyone else down. Unless there was a huge gap it’s hard to look past them.

And Woolwich showed last season that when it goes a bit wrong they tend to spiral a bit. The question is whether they learned from it.
If Woolwich had anything like the injuries normal clubs suffer they'd be 8 points off the race.

But they never seem to have bad luck. Cunts

The pressing from Rice this half is insane. Scary levels of intensity. He’s absolutely everywhere just marshalling and dominating the press.
Odegaard starts the press and he’s on it aggressively and quick. For a player who isn’t of aggressive nature it’s very impressive. I would love us to have that intensity. The difference from every other team in the league compared to the top 3 when it comes to the intensity and aggression of the press is massive. They 3 fuckers just don’t let teams settle.
if you look how we pressed at the start of the season to now then there is a big drop off. Our performances have went down because of it. Maybe that’s players being more tired or thought they’d achieved something I don’t know but we need to get back to that. The ability side of things don’t go away but we need to make it uncomfortable for teams the way the top 3 do.

Back
Top Bottom