Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Taps it in last minute? This is where you show you're just biased, man. His goal got nominated for the Puskas Award. It was a first time volley on the edge of the box in to the bottom corner, nowhere close to a ''tap in''.

Griezmann was better, Dembele barely played all tournament and no, Giroud wasn't better. The previous WC final he stuck it in the bottom corner from about 30 yards after shredding Croatia all game. Teams are fucking terrified of the bloke.
Lamela scored a Puskas winning goal as did Son.

Just watch him play, that's all you have to do, did you watch him tonight, last week, etc etc????... The World Cup games he was totally anonymous, there was articles written about it during the tournament. Scoring goals doesn't make you the best player in the world, being the best footballer on the pitch in most games you play does.

He is NOT the best player in the world.

He's not even the best player at his club mate. There are at least 4 players in the French national team better than him.
Absolutely no chance.

Who’s better than him for France and PSG? Demebele? lol.

Mbappe is absolutely insane. His issue is he being compared to Messi/Ronaldo, and the unrealistic expectations on him as a result.
As was stated above, he has 33 goal contributions in 28 league games this season.
Any other player in League 1 gets them numbers and they would be getting far more notice than Mbappe, because we’ve come to expect them numbers from Mbappe.

Lamela scored a Puskas winning goal as did Son.

Just watch him play, that's all you have to do, did you watch him tonight, last week, etc etc... The World Cup games he was totally anonymous, there was articles written about it during the tournament. Scoring goals doesn't make you the best player in the world, being the best footballer on the pitch in most games you play does.

He is NOT the best player in the world.

The point was you referred to his goal as a tap in .. it wasn't. You tried to disparage a puskas nominated WC final goal because you don't rate the player, that's the definition of bias.

I think Rodri is the best player in the world. But I also think Mbappe is one of the best attackers, if not the best. I can't think of many if any attacking players currently who is the best player on the pitch in most top level games they play.

Mbappe is the biggest threat for club & country and marked out as such, teams prepare for him. England stuck Walker on him & had Henderson doubling up on him because we were so scared of what he can do.

The legacy forces the marketing machine to fill the void of his (and by marketing extension also CRonnie) absence with any players they can remotely trick the vast majority of the football public into believing are worthy torch-bearers.

If you think CRonnie is worthy to be spoken of in the same sentence as Messi the congrats you've fallen for it. If you think Mbappe and Haaland are the best footballers on the planet and next in line to battle out for the 'who's the best' trophy then congrats you've fallen for it.
For what it’s worth, I personally don’t think Ronaldo should be spoken of in the same breath as Messi, however, the Media still peddle that narrative and will continue to compare Mbappe to “Messi and Ronaldo” (Ronaldo’s goal numbers more so).

Also for what it’s worth, I actually think that when Mbappe does join Real, he could come close to emulating Ronaldo’s legacy and numbers there.

Absolutely no chance.

Who’s better than him for France and PSG? Demebele? lol.

Mbappe is absolutely insane. His issue is he being compared to Messi/Ronaldo, and the unrealistic expectations on him as a result.
As was stated above, he has 33 goal contributions in 28 league games this season.
Any other player in League 1 gets them numbers and they would be getting far more notice than Mbappe, because we’ve come to expect them numbers from Mbappe.
It's not an issue for me, I'm not comparing him to Messi (I'll leave out Ronaldo who is another marketing-hyped player although better than Mbappe).

I've already listed the players who play better football than him.

This is why he has so many goals:

E7xEaFgXIAI_16h.jpg

This is why he has so many goals:

It's not though. He currently has 8 CL goals and had 7 in 8 last season. He was the top scorer at the last world cup and one of the top scorers at the one before that. He consistently scores a lot of goals in European competitions and he has 46 goals in 77 appearances for France.

You can't keep saying he scores lots of goals because he plays in a one team league, when he scores lots of goals no matter which competition or team he plays for. He was tearing up Ligue 1 as an 18 year old for Monaco and banging goals in against Manchester City and Dortmund. At 18!!!!

People shouldn't sleep on BuLi. Definitely the best league in the World at the moment. BVB in a Champions League Final, Leverkusen looking like world-beaters, Bayern possibly in a Final as well, and even RB Leipzig were the better team over 2 legs against Real Madrid, and only lost due to inexperience. Shame that their marketing is fucking shit, because the football over there is brilliant as well (I don't watch too much of it mind you, I mostly focus on Serie A outside of the Premier League).

For what it’s worth, I personally don’t think Ronaldo should be spoken of in the same breath as Messi, however, the Media still peddle that narrative and will continue to compare Mbappe to “Messi and Ronaldo” (Ronaldo’s goal numbers more so).
Yes, they still do and I totally agree with your take. You are starting to hear whispers where folks are calling out the ridiculousness of the comparison, players and coaches.
Also for what it’s worth, I actually think that when Mbappe does join Real, he could come close to emulating Ronaldo’s legacy and numbers there.
It is in everyone's interest that this happens so it will. And by everyone I mean the powers that be that stand to make a lot of cash. Will be interested to see how the current big RM players accept this coming arrangement, this everyone working for Mbappe to score.

It's not though. He currently has 8 CL goals and had 7 in 8 last season. He was the top scorer at the last world cup and one of the top scorers at the one before that. He consistently scores a lot of goals in European competitions and he has 46 goals in 77 appearances for France.

You can't keep saying he scores lots of goals because he plays in a one team league, when he scores lots of goals no matter which competition or team he plays for. He was tearing up Ligue 1 as an 18 year old for Monaco and banging goals in against Manchester City and Dortmund. At 18!!!!
Kane won the golden boot at a world cup but was shit.

I'm saying scoring goals is NOT the measure of a player being the best player. You don't have to score goals to be the best player on the pitch. He is rarely the best player on the pitch, but he scores goals so people like you say he is.

You haven't answered me, so I'll ask again, did you watch him tonight? Last week? and many many other games? Did he play well? We know he didn't. When I watch him this is how he almost always plays, but because he scored whilst playing meh people just rattle off stats about his goals. Just watch him play. He is NOT the world's best player, not Europe's best player, not the best player for his Club, not the best player in his national team.

People shouldn't sleep on BuLi. Definitely the best league in the World at the moment. BVB in a Champions League Final, Leverkusen looking like world-beaters, Bayern possibly in a Final as well, and even RB Leipzig were the better team over 2 legs against Real Madrid, and only lost due to inexperience. Shame that their marketing is fucking shit, because the football over there is brilliant as well (I don't watch too much of it mind you, I mostly focus on Serie A outside of the Premier League).

It's been great for this season but very much in the to be decided category on whether it's just a really good year for the league or they're able to get teams consistently competing in Europe. Generally that hasn't been the case.

Kane won the golden boot at a world cup but was shit.

I'm saying scoring goals is NOT the measure of a player being the best player. You don't have to score goals to be the best player on the pitch. He is rarely the best player on the pitch, but he scores goals so people like you say he is.

You haven't answered me, so I'll ask again, did you watch him tonight? Last week? and many many other games? Did he play well? We know he didn't. When I watch him this is how he almost always plays, but because he scored whilst playing meh people just rattle off stats about his goals. Just watch him play. He is NOT the world's best player, not Europe's best player, not the best player for his Club, not the best player in his national team.

I watched him tonight and last week and I watched him against Barcelona too. I didn't think he was very good. I do think he was also unlucky in a couple of these games. I've also seen him have games where he has opposition defences on toast (first wc final, vs barcelona, bayern, liverpool etc) but I don't expect him to be this way in every game.

I don't just judge him on goals - stats wise he's in the 98th/99th percentile for basically everything from shot creating actions to progressive carries or passes. On the eye test he's always a threat, even when playing badly. Which yes he does do, because he isn't close to a Messi .. but no one in the current generation is.

Like Maguire?

skysports-world-cup-team-of-the-tournament_5997576.jpg

Interestingly Richarlison on the bench...

Maguire is pretty good at international football. The problem is he’s less good at club football, whereas Mbappe excels at every level he plays at .. there’s a difference.

Any player can make a one off team of the tournament, I assume Ouanhi isn’t great either. There’s a huge difference between that and CONSISTENTLY being in them.

It's been great for this season but very much in the to be decided category on whether it's just a really good year for the league or they're able to get teams consistently competing in Europe. Generally that hasn't been the case.
They can't compete consistently because their clubs are fan-owned. Oil clubs and big spenders in general will just offer a shit load for their players. Only Bayern is able to keep up, and even they don't have the financial power of a Man City or Real Madrid, despite being (in my opinion) the 2nd biggest club in the World.

I watched him tonight and last week and I watched him against Barcelona too. I didn't think he was very good. I do think he was also unlucky in a couple of these games. I've also seen him have games where he has opposition defences on toast (first wc final, vs barcelona, bayern, liverpool etc) but I don't expect him to be this way in every game.

I don't just judge him on goals - stats wise he's in the 98th/99th percentile for basically everything from shot creating actions to progressive carries or passes. On the eye test he's always a threat, even when playing badly. Which yes he does do, because he isn't close to a Messi .. but no one in the current generation is.
I'm not judging him against Messi, I just watch him play football frequently and more often than not he plays exactly as he did tonight. Had he scored it wouldn't change my view on his performance.

FWIW playing him through the middle will negate his best attributes, he's much better when played off the left. (It will be interesting when he goes to RM because Vinious is a better player than him (another to add to the list) (unless they move him to the middle or over to the right to accommodate him??)

Back
Top Bottom