OTHER MATCHES FRED - 2022/23

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love this little guy.

Ahead of Manchester City’s Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid tonight, Bernardo Silva has given a wide-ranging interview to France Football.

The Portuguese winger/midfielder notably claims that he found it more difficult to play in France than in England – with reports linking him with a return to Ligue 1, as Paris Saint-Germain’s first choice to replace Lionel Messi, emerging shortly afterwards.

In the interview, he also discusses the impact that Pep Guardiola has had on his play, having now worked with the Catalan for the last 6 seasons after his move from Monaco in 2017. Silva is full of praise for the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss, who is now closing in on a fifth Premier League title with Manchester City – and potentially long-awaited success on the European stage, although they will need to get past the holders tonight first, with the aggregate score at 1-1 going into the match.

“He’s the manager who I’ve worked the longest with during my career, and he’s a really special coach in his way of seeing football and in his way of always changing things. He’s always thinking. When you win three titles in a season, you might assume that the following season you’ll be playing the same way, but no – he keeps changing things so that the other teams never now how we’re going to develop our style of play. So nobody gets used to how we play. And since he’s changing all the time, every year you learn. He has really changed the way I see the game.”

“[It was difficult] at the start, but after one or two seasons you get what he wants. The foundations are there. Every player who’s been with him for more than one season will understand. Sometimes, he gets to training and he’s calm. He lets us train. Another time, he showed up and killed us: You are tired? I don’t care, you need to run and work hard. He asks a lot from us. During games, but also during training. Everyone needs to be concentrated, and if he feels you’re not at 100%, you’re not going to play.”

[The hardest thing] is that he goes into a lot of detail. So you change the way you approach your style of play. Back at Monaco, I was more of a dribbler than I am now. So was Riyad [Mahrez] at Leicester. We all play in a more simple way. Obviously you need to know how to dribble and shoot, but being able to play in a simple way, for Pep, is the most important thing. If you want playing time under him, you need to be able to do that. One touch, two touches. You play for the team, otherwise you’re not playing.”

He was outstanding tonight.

It also explains some of the de-wankhornification process that Grealish is going through. Less head down dribbling into nowehere for the sake of dribbling, working much harder off the ball.

I love this little guy.

Ahead of Manchester City’s Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid tonight, Bernardo Silva has given a wide-ranging interview to France Football.

The Portuguese winger/midfielder notably claims that he found it more difficult to play in France than in England – with reports linking him with a return to Ligue 1, as Paris Saint-Germain’s first choice to replace Lionel Messi, emerging shortly afterwards.

In the interview, he also discusses the impact that Pep Guardiola has had on his play, having now worked with the Catalan for the last 6 seasons after his move from Monaco in 2017. Silva is full of praise for the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss, who is now closing in on a fifth Premier League title with Manchester City – and potentially long-awaited success on the European stage, although they will need to get past the holders tonight first, with the aggregate score at 1-1 going into the match.

“He’s the manager who I’ve worked the longest with during my career, and he’s a really special coach in his way of seeing football and in his way of always changing things. He’s always thinking. When you win three titles in a season, you might assume that the following season you’ll be playing the same way, but no – he keeps changing things so that the other teams never now how we’re going to develop our style of play. So nobody gets used to how we play. And since he’s changing all the time, every year you learn. He has really changed the way I see the game.”

“[It was difficult] at the start, but after one or two seasons you get what he wants. The foundations are there. Every player who’s been with him for more than one season will understand. Sometimes, he gets to training and he’s calm. He lets us train. Another time, he showed up and killed us: You are tired? I don’t care, you need to run and work hard. He asks a lot from us. During games, but also during training. Everyone needs to be concentrated, and if he feels you’re not at 100%, you’re not going to play.”

[The hardest thing] is that he goes into a lot of detail. So you change the way you approach your style of play. Back at Monaco, I was more of a dribbler than I am now. So was Riyad [Mahrez] at Leicester. We all play in a more simple way. Obviously you need to know how to dribble and shoot, but being able to play in a simple way, for Pep, is the most important thing. If you want playing time under him, you need to be able to do that. One touch, two touches. You play for the team, otherwise you’re not playing.”

He was outstanding tonight.

He's great. Not an annoying little shit either.

It also explains some of the de-wankhornification process that Grealish is going through. Less head down dribbling into nowehere for the sake of dribbling, working much harder off the ball.

Sounds like you're going soft, Blakey! :sonpoint:

Grealish has started 39 matches so far for Man. City this season so he must be doing something right, at least in Pep's view.

I thought he'd have him on the trf list by the end of season 2....... I'll take that L.

Question for me is an Gary make the most of him for England?

It's a bit fanciful/ridiculous to say we should be in the final of this. We're currently playing like one of the poorest teams in the Premier League.

I don't think anyone has seriously claimed we "should".

Turns out there was a pretty easy pathway ahead of us though and we blew it.

Not a very fair assessment of Napoli or a bang in form Inter, IMO

"pretty easy" (by CL standards)...... Relatively easy if you prefer.

Our run in 18/19 we had to get out of a group containing Inter & Barca and then better a decent BVB, Man City and that years suprise package in Ajax (who'd already knocked out RM & Juve).

.......Night and day.

Man City have just had to get past RM & BM.

Our run in 18/19 we had to get out of a group containing Inter & Barca and then better a decent BVB, Man City and that years suprise package in Ajax (who'd already knocked out RM & Juve).

.......Night and day.

I mean I dunno, was that Ajax team actually better than this Napoli team?

Both chock full of players every top club is falling all over themselves trying to spunk nine figures on.

I think you could argue Napoli is better than this Real Madrid side too, tbh. Real found their way through a couple of very fraudulent English big names.

I mean I dunno, was that Ajax team actually better than this Napoli team?

I just likened them as the year's dark horse/suprise package....

Both chock full of players every top club is falling all over themselves trying to spunk nine figures on.

Indeed they were/are....

I think you could argue Napoli is better than this Real Madrid side too, tbh. Real found their way through a couple of very fraudulent English big names.

I think you protesteth too hard on this one....

Weak group >>> AC/Nap/Inter > Final
v
Barca/Inter/+1 >>> BVB/City/Ajax > Final

I sure as hell know what one I'd pick.

As for RM; they're just a sum'bitch..... You simply don't wanna have to face up to that crazy CL pedigree if you can help it.

The way you get sustained success now is a sugar daddy,
Can't believe some people still haven't figured this out.

This is the only way we will ever see nights like this with a treble chance.

Bring on the shiekh or Russian, fuck off and sell up ENIC

It's that simple
Looks like utd are getting a version of it too, if the takeover goes ahead.
That will leave us , out on our own as the league's 7/8th best club, very exciting times.

.......Night and day.

They operate on such a different level that they don’t really have any excuse not to.

Jonathan Liew:

And so one of the world’s richest states spends years trying to hire the world’s greatest coach, succeeds, and then gives him literally everything he needs. Every other club in the world, with the exception of Paris Saint-Germain, has to operate within the constraints of finance or fortune. Every other club in the world has flaws or problem areas that they can’t address right now, but hope to at some point in the future. Guardiola, by contrast, gets the staff he wants, the players he wants when he wants them, gets their replacements ahead of schedule.

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?

They operate on such a different level that they don’t really have any excuse not to.

Jonathan Liew:

And so one of the world’s richest states spends years trying to hire the world’s greatest coach, succeeds, and then gives him literally everything he needs. Every other club in the world, with the exception of Paris Saint-Germain, has to operate within the constraints of finance or fortune. Every other club in the world has flaws or problem areas that they can’t address right now, but hope to at some point in the future. Guardiola, by contrast, gets the staff he wants, the players he wants when he wants them, gets their replacements ahead of schedule.

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?
He's not wrong but let's be honest football has been like this for twenty years now. Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003.
Their new owner is chucking money at it as well, and it's not like Real Madrid and Barca operate within the bounds of FFP either is it?

This game has always been about the haves and the have nots, we look at City and can't hope to match them financially but then how must we look to the likes of Bournemouth with our 60k stadium. It's just levels.

I've made my peace with it, I just want us to join that table by hook or by crook like Newcastle have done.

The game isn't changing anytime soon and the last thing we want is those clubs pulling up the drawbridge before we get ours.

Jonathan Liew:

This is all very well, and largely true (although I still think it underestimates the legitimate sporting brilliance of Guardiola), but then do something about it.

Ban them. And ban PSG. And then ban the Chavs.

It’s tiresome having this continuous pearl clutching from authorities and media pundits, that never leads to anything.

Or, here’s an alternative, scrap FFP and let everyone cheat. But install a salary cap.

Back
Top Bottom