Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's got heart - really liked what I saw. Kind of got that PEH edge about him.
I'm actually really looking forward to their partnership now as Højbjerg could be a great mentor for Skipp on that mental side you mention. Build that toughness early.

I mean, and I don't say this to shit on him, but it's looking increasingly like Winks missed the boat on that one doesn't it?

Last edited:
Wow, getting properly stuck in with perfect timing on an experienced Premier League battle axe like Fernandinho with no hesitance at age 20. Skipp is going to be playing for us for a long time.

Last edited:
If ever a player grew into a game this was it - first ten minutes he was just not at the races but from then on he just got better and better - opposite him was Fernandinho no bad player so how did they compare?

Well Fernandinho made more tackles five v two but he was also dispossessed twice to Skipp's once - Skipp was more efficient on the ball, in a game where City had 65% possession not giving it away was important - Skipp with 89% pass success compared to Fern' 78% - and perhaps most telling of all

In the last third of the game Skipp out passed, out tackled, and out ran Fernandinho by a country mile .... that's 20 year old legs versus 36 ...

Skipp will have come away from today on cloud nine knowing he's arrived at the big table.

Thought he acquitted himself extremely well against the toughest competition despite some shakiness early on. Development isn’t always linear, but imagine how Skipp is going to look come May. Very excited about this one.

Saw similar things from him today that I saw against Woolwich - players do seem to shrug him off at times a lot easier than Hojbjerg for example. I would put that down to excitement / nerves / experience though.

But he did some very good work too. Delighted he came back and got the nod for a big opening game of the season. I hope to look back in years from now to this game being a defining point in his career.

Well played Skippy!

Can't really pay him a bigger compliment than that he didn't look out of place at all against one of the best teams in the world.

I knew he would play a big role this season but he may well be in our first XI against the big teams.

I think Dele and Gio will rotate for that 3rd midfield role and maybe both can play against lesser teams but when we want to be solid Skipp and PEH will get the nod.

If ever a player grew into a game this was it - first ten minutes he was just not at the races but from then on he just got better and better - opposite him was Fernandinho no bad player so how did they compare?

Well Fernandinho made more tackles five v two but he was also dispossessed twice to Skipp's once - Skipp was more efficient on the ball, in a game where City had 65% possession not giving it away was important - Skipp with 89% pass success compared to Fern' 78% - and perhaps most telling of all

In the last third of the game Skipp out passed, out tackled, and out ran Fernandinho by a country mile .... that's 20 year old legs versus 36 ...

Skipp will have come away from today on cloud nine knowing he's arrived at the big table.
65mins in I thought Fernandinho looked fucked

Anyone remember when he started against Palace a couple years back?

He looked (unsurprisingly) a completely different player, looked like he himself felt assured of his own ability to play at the very top.

Surely the posters who said 'we need to loan him out to get a season's expeerience in PL before he's good enough for Spurs' understand after the game today that he's ready to play at Spurs right now.

He's got plenty of energy and tenacity and not a little skill.

Just come bck from an injury so probably not quite fit. But a very good performance today.

He played in 41 Championship games for Norwich last season - I'd like to think he'll be able to play 40+ first team games for Spurs this season

I'll happily fess up and say I was one of them (wasn't talking down his suspected ability though)....

My main concern was him getting major game-time and not being left to drift.... If he's gonna play like that every weekend then hell-the-fook-yeh.

I'll happily fess up and say I was one of them (wasn't talking down his suspected ability though)....

My main concern was him getting major game-time and not being left to drift.... If he's gonna play like that every weekend then hell-the-fook-yeh.

Still needs to get experience playing big games in PL, but I think by Christmas he will be one of the first choices as CM along with Hojbjerg ... and Lo Celso if he gets back to form.

I think his dynamism means he scores over Sissoko, Winks and even Ndombele's skill as of today though.

Still needs to get experience playing big games in PL, but I think by Christmas he will be one of the first choices as CM along with Hojbjerg ... and Lo Celso if he gets back to form.

I think his dynamism means he scores over Sissoko, Winks and even Ndombele's skill as of today though.

What pleased me the most yesterday was that he seemed quite comfortable being the one to sit in deep.... I didn't really see that as being his future, but food for thought for sure.

What pleased me the most yesterday was that he seemed quite comfortable being the one to sit in deep.... I didn't really see that as being his future, but food for thought for sure.

It’s a weird one because both Skipp and Hojbjerg are more 6/8 Hybrids than out and out sitting players but they seem to at least in the second half sort out their positioning.

Back
Top Bottom