Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know who was responsible for our awful loan policy in the last few years (I guess it had to be Poch) but the loans for Skipp, Parrott and Sess have been fantastic so far. Long may this new trend continue.
I don't know how true it is, but the general concensus seems to be that Poch preferred to train the young boys himself and bring them through directly, the idea being that training with and immersing yourself within the senior players is better than playing "low level" football.

I wouldn't put it all on Poch though. Our academy setup seemed to grind to a halt. We lost a few good players too cos they didn't see a clear path through our academy. noni madueke is the biggest loss, he's been having a great time at PSV.

I don't know how true it is, but the general concensus seems to be that Poch preferred to train the young boys himself and bring them through directly, the idea being that training with and immersing yourself within the senior players is better than playing "low level" football.

I wouldn't put it all on Poch though. Our academy setup seemed to grind to a halt. We lost a few good players too cos they didn't see a clear path through our academy. noni madueke is the biggest loss, he's been having a great time at PSV.

That is a fair point if you look at it from his perspective. I would say training with Spurs is better than training with Milwall for example. Realistically though they need minutes in competitive games and Championship & Bundesliga is far more superior than the U23s league.

Also agree re/ academy set up. The 23s seem to be really poor and I see mixed results at U18 level too.

That is a fair point if you look at it from his perspective. I would say training with Spurs is better than training with Milwall for example. Realistically though they need minutes in competitive games and Championship & Bundesliga is far more superior than the U23s league.

Also agree re/ academy set up. The 23s seem to be really poor and I see mixed results at U18 level too.
Ideally there should have been compromise. Where Poch had one "class" of kids training with the first team for a season, and then they go out on loan the next one to put what they have been taught into practice.

But hindsight is always 20/20.

Just stumbled on this Norwich podcast interviewing Skippy, sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders. Nice quote about the importance of drive re: Harry, trying to make a good first impression in training, says Jose really is like how he's shown in the documentary and that in particular he's good at managing different players differently (says he himself is probably more in the "prefer my buttons pushed" camp) and isn't that fussed about possession as we all knew. Like the way he talks about adjusting his game for different teammates, thinks he can do more forward driving runs instead of being a pure DM and speaks really well about how he has to prove himself on the pitch regardless of how he's talked about as a future Spurs captain.

Apparently we check in on Skippy after every game, we have a specific guy who watches all the loan players and watches the games and talks to them afterwards. Mourinho even texted him :)

Also, the tweets here are great: Norwich fans credit Tottenham loanee Oliver Skipp for performance in defeat - The Boot Room

Could we see a midfield of Skipp, Hjojberg and Ndombele next season?

Certainly from Christmas onwards, before Christmas JM might bring him into the team more slowly, but if has a good preseason it might happen very quickly.

Might also depend upon how much JM rotates next season as well - I think he's starting to se its benefits this season in terms of limiting injuries by resting players and playing most players once every 6 or 7 days rather than every 3 or 4.

Skippy must be odds-on to at least replace Winks next season.
Big question is can he rival Sissoko?
Advantage for Ollie is he will still be U21 next season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sissoko went this summer too. He’ll be 32 at the start of next season and you know Levy will want to sell if he has any value.

———————-Hugo——————-
Aurier—-Toby——Dier——Reggie
—————Skipp——Hjojberg——-
GLC————Ndombele—-——Son
———————-Kane——————

Could we see a midfield of Skipp, Hjojberg and Ndombele next season?
Probably unlikely under Mou, for the same reason that we don't see PEH, lo Celso and Ndombele. Mou loves Sissoko's sheer pace and power too much.

In games against the likes of Brighton who don't have a lot of pace but do like to play possession football, I think Skipp would be wonderful, he can press better and when do gain possession, he'd be much better at retaining it and progressing play up the pitch.

Sissoko has a limited role and he performs it well, I think Skipp would be able to do the same role as Sissoko but offer more to the team, if he can make the step up to the PL then we are laughing , I’m just not sure if he would be ready next season but I would love to give him the chance to prove he is!

Has he been playing well for Norwich? We seem to be pretty sure of him after a dozen matches for us and a dozen for them.
Their player of the season currently. Could argue the Championship player of the season.

Caught him a few times and he is head and shoulders above everyone.

Kind of like when watching Dele for MK. Just seems he's playing below his standard.

Just stumbled on this Norwich podcast interviewing Skippy, sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders. Nice quote about the importance of drive re: Harry, trying to make a good first impression in training, says Jose really is like how he's shown in the documentary and that in particular he's good at managing different players differently (says he himself is probably more in the "prefer my buttons pushed" camp) and isn't that fussed about possession as we all knew. Like the way he talks about adjusting his game for different teammates, thinks he can do more forward driving runs instead of being a pure DM and speaks really well about how he has to prove himself on the pitch regardless of how he's talked about as a future Spurs captain.

Apparently we check in on Skippy after every game, we have a specific guy who watches all the loan players and watches the games and talks to them afterwards. Mourinho even texted him :)

Also, the tweets here are great: Norwich fans credit Tottenham loanee Oliver Skipp for performance in defeat - The Boot Room

I remember arguing with loads of people on here when I said he's not a proper DM. Glad he's said it himself now.

Back
Top Bottom