Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 13th April. 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are certain games you just know we won't turn up for. Today was one of them, and I for one had no confidence at all before kick-off.

So many issues with this team. I love Son to bits for everything he's done for us, and he can still be extremely effective in certain games, but today showed why we have to go all-out for a proper No.9/Kane replacement. Son is useless in these kind of games.

Ultimately I still like Postecoglou, and somehow we could easily still squeeze into the Champions League. But we need 3 or 4 BIG signings in the summer (not round pegs in square holes like Werner, who is fine but not gonna take us to the next level). Sadly I don't trust Levy to do so, so can imagine more of the same next season... battling for top 4 and without the depth to go far in the cups. Rinse and repeat.

Yet our youth players can't get any minutes? I can't see how blooding in Donley throughout the season would have harmed us. So many passengers in this squad that just continuously get picked
Ange has picked non. Dippers, manure, villa, city, toon all play their youngsters. Ange picks from the same 15/16 players every week.

I love Son to bits for everything he's done for us, and he can still be extremely effective in certain games, but today showed why we have to go all-out for a proper No.9/Kane replacement. Son is useless in these kind of games.
Son is not effective in slow transitions.. not good when the build up is slow.

There are certain games you just know we won't turn up for. Today was one of them, and I for one had no confidence at all before kick-off.

So many issues with this team. I love Son to bits for everything he's done for us, and he can still be extremely effective in certain games, but today showed why we have to go all-out for a proper No.9/Kane replacement. Son is useless in these kind of games.

Ultimately I still like Postecoglou, and somehow we could easily still squeeze into the Champions League. But we need 3 or 4 BIG signings in the summer (not round pegs in square holes like Werner, who is fine but not gonna take us to the next level). Sadly I don't trust Levy to do so, so can imagine more of the same next season... battling for top 4 and without the depth to go far in the cups. Rinse and repeat.
Son only really plays well if, the team are playing well otherwise he goes missing.
I don't think many of us are, expecting the recruitment to be any different than before.
We will look for, players who can play anywhere from a No 9 right upto a keeper, because they are a cheaper option.

Pathetic.....we need a plan B ....his gung ho style is too predictable.....
Exactly where is the gong ho style?
All we do is have players in forward positions but mostly doing nothing. It’s not exactly like how Liverpool player which is real fast and unrelenting. We are battering down the barn door in any game.

Yes, he was — don’t know how much was add-ons. He’s making 120k per week. Good but not egregious money.
The combined fees for Isak + Gordon (who took us apart today) are just a little more than Richie + Brennan Johnson.
Isak looked like different gravy today to the plodders we have up front.

We don’t need CG to help us either .
If Ange thinks his the player we need then it’s worrying.

We don’t need CG to help us either .
If Ange thinks his the player we need then it’s worrying.
If we properly meant business and Levy and Co were serious about going to the next level/challenging for a title we'd go big on a tricky winger like Iñaki Williams, a proper #9 (Toney? Isak? Gimenez?) and probably another midfielder to replace Bissouma, who has flattered to deceive. And yes, the money is there and available if we really wanted to go for it.

Realistically? It'll be Gallagher, Gibbs White and whoever else is cheap/available that'll look like an OK signing on paper but ultimately won't be good enough (like Werner, Richarlison, Solomon etc).

Yes, he was — don’t know how much was add-ons. He’s making 120k per week. Good but not egregious money.
The combined fees for Isak + Gordon (who took us apart today) are just a little more than Richie + Brennan Johnson.

Not sure why you are bringing Johnson into it, he’s looking a very promising signing. Gordon was a joke in his first season at Newcastle. Fell out with Howe and all sorts.

Isak shows you what you can get if you aren’t scared of big numbers.

Ange has picked non. Dippers, manure, villa, city, toon all play their youngsters. Ange picks from the same 15/16 players every week.
No manager has trusted the young players we produce since Kane.

It’s not the manager, our Academy doesn’t produce players of the standard we need. That’s a massive issue, a club this size with our resources should be able to produce some of our own players. We’re getting fuck all.

They look mentally soft. Weak as fuck.
Constantly going down looking for fouls.
Need to remember who they play for, we don't get free kicks often so fucking stay up and fight for it. No aggression or tenacity. Maddison is a problem... Crybaby bastard he is. Look how he fouled someone no yellow, then he gets exact same thing happen to him 2 minutes later and he crying and making a drama because they didn't get a yellow 🤦🏻Teams know how easy it is to wind him up.. he gets rattled and this spreads through the team. His fucking antics probably ensured VDV got booked for some bullshit as the ref thought well fuck being lenient if that's what I get. I'm usually as positive as possible but this one has left me feeling hollow.

How can they turn up and play like that? They getting cocky? The soundbytes coming out from the players in interviews and club content really don't match the actions on the pitch. They seem lazy and unmotivated.
When the chips are down there is no steel in the team to say that's enough and drag them back into the game. That was a total rollover 🤮

We continually make the mistake of trying to overly play out from the back against decent pressing teams like West Ham and Newcastle, without stamping our authority on the game first or outworking the opponent first in order to play. It is entirely predictable. Say what you want about Conte but he would not have lost 4-0 or 6-1.

Went up for this one. Had the choice of going up Friday afternoon having a night out and getting the 2:59 train back (which could’ve been tight with a lot of injury time) or up Saturday morning and hang around for beers after.
Definitely made the right choice, Altho when my phone died as I got on the train back it certainly made the journey feel longer!

Sat in the Newcastle end and, despite their reputation, was surprisingly quiet - even after they drubbed us. Maybe it’s Saturday early kick off that causes it.

On the game, I think that’s the 1st time I thought Bissouma’s not gonna work out. Truly awful and without that protection and outlet, impacts the rest of the defence. I’d even prefer Skipp there. It’s such a crucial position for how we play. Actually think we give Bentancur a run there. I don’t think he’s as athletic as a he was so less effective attacking but he can sit and receive the ball and pass and has a tackle on him.

With the attack, we are so fucking static - across the whole front 5. Generally zero movement and unless we’re on an actual breakaway, will only receive the ball to feet in a standing position. Makes us easy to mark and defend against. This is clearly tactical and on Ange. You watch Barnes, Gordon and Isak when they attack and they’re scurrying around pulling our defence out of position. I can’t for the life of me understand why we’re opposed to doing this.

from viewing on TV (so you see most of the off ball movement) when Romero gets the ball coming forward you can see Son Maddison Johnson running into space for the long ball over the top, but the pass never comes, Romero doesn't see it, So why is he the one carrying the ball ?
that early long ball pass would create probelms for the other team Do they press ? or drop off ?

No manager has trusted the young players we produce since Kane.

It’s not the manager, our Academy doesn’t produce players of the standard we need. That’s a massive issue, a club this size with our resources should be able to produce some of our own players. We’re getting fuck all.
I admittingly haven't watched any of their games but aren't players like Devine, Donely, and Scarlett supposed to be that?

Exactly where is the gong ho style?
All we do is have players in forward positions but mostly doing nothing. It’s not exactly like how Liverpool player which is real fast and unrelenting. We are battering down the barn door in any game.
we are not battering the barn door....we are loitering around their barn door /shuffling around

I thought people said - Things will improve xxx times when the injuries dried up. All healthy except solomon.

Back
Top Bottom